Fiverr Forum

Don't bother with paid review gigs

Even if you don’t mention the word Amazon, even if you’re super careful. Fiverr is deleting a lot of review gigs, here’s why:

===
We do not allow selling paid reviews on Fiverr, it is fraudulent and misleading.
Your Gig has been flagged by our team following a third party complaint claiming your Gig is infringing upon their intellectual property rights and/or violating their terms of use. As a valued member of the Fiverr community, we ask you to respect the broader Internet community and refrain from such violations in your Gig offerings as this is misleading to our buyers.

Never mind that editorial houses routinely ask their employees to write positive book reviews about their authors.

Never mind that sometimes bloggers are given FREE COPIES of books and asked to review them.

Never mind that all kinds of reviews are being sold online, and not just on Fiverr.

The good old days of making an easy $4 for writing a book review are over.

The only gigs I haven’t seen removed are the ones where the review isn’t published, or the book is simply shared on a Facebook fan page.

But if you’re getting paid for positive book reviews, eventually the big bad Amazon will find out. It doesn’t matter if your clients are just copying and pasting the book codes, or if you’re copying and pasting. Amazon and other companies are finding out.

Don’t even think about using a fake gig to sell book reviews, that’s the worse thing you can do because then Fiverr will force you to delete a very popular gig.

In other words, get out of the review business, it’s no longer safe for sellers.

I got out of that business two years ago. Also offering that kind of services by my opinion was unethical that’s one of the reasons why I got out of that business.

I’m more pragmatic in my outlook.

Bill writes a book, nobody’s reading it because he has no reviews.
Bill hires Bob, Jack, David, and Jenny to write reviews.
Then people read reviews, and they buy the book.
If the book is good, Bill will succeed, make money, maybe write more books.
If the book is bad, Bill will get bad reviews and his career as a writer will be over. Or he’ll write a better book.

So who exactly is getting hurt? How exactly is this unethical? Besides, Bill can ask everyone in his family to write a book review, this is legal. Bill can ask his friends to do the same. The reason Bill goes to Fiverr and other places is because he’d rather not do that, and I can respect that.

I think that business is terrible. Shame on anyone who does that.

Reminds me of the time I went to a hair salon. I absolutely love having blonde hair. Blonde and shiny locks that many girls would kill for! I went on Yelp for a salon and saw the reviews were all 5-stars. Me having blonde hair, it is VERY difficult to maintain, retouch, and take care of. There are specific products that I can, and can’t use. Not to mention the retouching of roots! So it is always a go to make sure the stylist is top rated and reliable.

Anyways I went to the salon and had a lady retouch my hair. After she was finished, my hair was a DISGUSTING, GROSS, and AWFUL shade of blonde. The lady had no clue what she was doing.
Came home to look at the reviews, and to my surprise the HIDDEN yelp comments had 1-star reviews - atleast 40 of them saying “DO NOT GO HERE” or “YOUR HAIR WILL BE RUINED IF YOU SET FOOT HERE!”

I felt so awful and angry. Had my haircolorist friend take a look at it and she described it as "cat p*ss yellow"
I got it fixed back by my good friend, but I got my money from those crooks the next day.

Anyone who does paid reviews should be ashamed of themselves. I honestly wish bad karma upon them. Your paid reviews could cost someone else’s happiness and hardwork. Do the right thing.

End of my story, going to drink some redwine and call it a night.

I bet it is unethical from the moment someone gets paid to write the review. The one who gets paid, is doing it for the money, like a review mercenary :slight_smile:
The review’s obviously not objective (nobody will pay for an objective review). People who write it should feel it’s unethical.
Forget friends, family and so on… they do it without getting paid and will not think twice about ethics…
I see it like this:
Someone works for a company, where the owner asked already his family and friends to review his products,
The owner comes and asks all his employees (who he obviously pay a salary) to write also a nice review for his products… is that ethical? I doubt it.
Ethics has to do with moral principles. Ergo someone who writes a fake review (family, friends, or review mercenaries) is unethical.

20 characters in a Shakespeare play

Look lady, ever heard of Nissan? Well, Nissan did this for a bunch of car journalists. They let them ride their Nissan Z’s from West Palm Beach to Key Largo, then they got to take a megayacht from Key Largo to South Beach where they got to party. Now tell me, what kind of articles did they wrote about the car?

I’m sorry you had issues with your hair. But guess what? Most businesses are good people trying to make money, and some of the bad reviews are actually posted by competitors, trying to trash them. In fact, some of my book writer friends tell me of how other writers will write negative reviews, without even buying the book.

“The owner comes and asks all his employees (who he obviously pay a salary) to write also a nice review for his products… is that ethical? I doubt it.”

It’s done everyday. At an ad agency where I used to work for, the owner’s son was appearing on some music competition, the president asked us to vote for him.

I got a relative in the tech industry, every time he introduces a new service, he asks the family to vote for him.

On American Idol, fans can vote more than once using the 1-800 number.

We’re sellers on Fiverr, sometimes we don’t even know if what we’re selling is good. Some of my clients are MLM, nutritional companies, get rich quick, how do I know if their products work? I don’t. It’s not my business to know. My business is to write ads to sell their stuff.

If my clients’ books, products, services, are rotten, then the market will reject them. So it’s really on them, not me.

Thank god I don’t drive a Nissan, I drive a Mercedes. And what kind of WORLD WIDE reputation does Mercedes have? A very good one. German motors, very safe, classy, and good cars.

Actually the bad reviews were from legitimate Yelp users with previous reviews of other companies, etc. so your case of “bad reviews” does not apply to this. The salon was dead empty, and my hair obviously came out looking like trash, so it is safe to say that the company was purposely hiding the bad reviews.

Also I forgot to mention! I found out that a lady in the salon was working as the salon’s PR by advertising, marketing, etc. in exchange for free haircuts!

The people who leave negative reviews for competitors are JUST as pathetic as the people leaving fake positive reviews to make themselves look good, so your post is completely irrelevant.

Also I want to note I am a very strong believer in karma - so what you put back into the universe will ALWAYS come back to bite you.

I think you miss something which from my point of view is important. And you mentioned something like that with the Nissan example.
Like I’ve said before: Ethics has to do with moral principles.
Morals are relative, depending on which society you live, which religion you have, etc.
It’s something that defines a group of people.
A company can dictate their own “morals” or ethics… Amazon can dictate their own and Fiverr also.
It has to do with where you write it: If you write it in Amazon, you need to adjust to their ethics… same here in Fiverr.
In the Nissan example, I doubt the ones who were allowed to drive the cars and have a dinner in a yacht would review the car on Amazon… but on their own articles/blogs. And there they have to deal with their own ethics/morals… they can do what they want, write what they prefer and be objective or not.
Amazon or other companies will not allow that, and if you want to sell there, you need to adjust to them… simple :slight_smile:
On the company example and in the one you mention about American Idol, they can ask you to vote or review as they wish… but lies on you the decision to do it or not… that depends on your morals/ethics, you can refuse and yes, you can maybe lose your job, but you won’t lose your morals and ethics.
There lies the difference between review mercenaries and objective reviews.
I don’t say people who review products without even trying them are bad people… but from my point of view, they lack ethics. :slight_smile:

Please, I think we’re going too hard on words, aren’t we? :slight_smile:

I would not call anybody pathetic, because morals/ethics change also with the time.
What was accepted before, maybe will not be accepted later.
I understand perfectly that when it was allowed, people could sell their reviews (I would anyway think they’re unethical, but it was “legal”). There lies the difference…
Today they forbid selling reviews, as they forbid selling thesis or university/school work.
Tomorrow they can forbid selling spells, pshychic readings and/or tarot services.
Tomorrow they also can forbid selling posters done with templates and push a Graphic Designer (like me) to work just with original and unique designs.
That will not make you and me automatically pathetic :wink:

Yes, that’s a slippery road.

That’s a good point. What will they forbid tomorrow? Will they forbid language lessons because they require Skype? Will they forbid logos if graphic design agencies decide to litigate? I understand things change, but Fiverr needs to be very careful with what they change.

My view is, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it. If Amazon doesn’t want writers buying reviews, they should punish the writers, not the reviewers. Of course, Amazon won’t do that because then they lose too much money.

“In the Nissan example, I doubt the ones who were allowed to drive the cars and have a dinner in a yacht would review the car on Amazon… but on their own articles/blogs. And there they have to deal with their own ethics/morals…”

My point is that respectable magazines like Car & Driver and others do things that are highly questionable. The mainstream media is the same way, do you go after Hillary Clinton if that means the Clintons will never speak to you again? Probably not. Maybe you’ll wait for The New York Times to take the lead, and then you’ll cover the story. Or you can look at YouTube and how they’re demonetizing politically incorrect videos because advertisers don’t want to be associated with them. Of course, this hurts YouTube in the end. Why create content if content doesn’t pay?

You think Mercedes doesn’t do the same BS as Nissan? They all do it. Volkswagen is a German company, and they had a huge scandal about how they were faking the fuel emissions testing. Remember that one? I do.

Whether bad reviews appear on Yelp or Amazon is irrelevant, my point is that crap will always get bad reviews, which makes positive reviews worthless eventually. Besides, Yelp can’t be trusted, when the dentist who shot Cecil the Lion was exposed, that dentist had bad reviews from all over the world, as if those people had been his patients.

What the salon did to you was wrong, but it would have happened with or without bad reviews. What if you’re walking and see a cute salon on the corner? You don’t know them, how do you know if they’re good? You don’t.

Life is about RISK, besides, hair grows back. A bad tattoo on the other hand, is very expensive to remove and it always leaves a mark.

As for karma, whatever, if karma is real then every client who has ever demanded a refund would lose the money they stole. However, karma isn’t real, it’s just something people say. Personally, I’d rather deal with a dishonest buyer that lets me keep my money than a decent buyer that demands a refund the minute he doesn’t like my work.

I love Fiverr, but every time we refund we suffer, our ranking declines even when the buyer orders by mistake. The “I don’t need this anymore” are the worst.

This is why you should also get a tattoo on this hand, not the other hand, because bad tattoos tend to be even more expensive to remove on the other one. :stuck_out_tongue:

People might not like it, and it might be unethical, but it happens all the time. Actually Amazon (Vine) gives people free stuff if they review it - and Vine is objective reviews. Secret shoppers do this (objective reviews for pay), and so do many others.

Every major company pays for reviews, or just pays people to put their name on them. Most of them are fake. Fiverr doesn’t really care about that so much as they care about reviews that violate rules elsewhere (because they don’t like it when other companies come complaining to them).

I suspect the crackdown on homework Gigs happened because a bunch of schools got together and complained about it to Fiverr.

I also say these things because Fiverr doesn’t seem to care right now about people paying others to vote for them and make sure they win contests (as in asking for many fake votes). Then when someone stupidly brags about winning a TV talent competition by paying for it on Fiverr, Fiverr will start cracking down on that too. :slight_smile:

@fastcopywriter Amazon is looking into it so much because of Vine. They don’t want someone else competing with their compensated reviews. And sites like Yelp are tired of Fiverr Gigs flooding their pages with fake reviews - if their site is filled with fake reviews the visitors will eventually notice and stop going there so much, which affects their revenue. As far as the books, the leading authorities on books get them free too (not just bloggers), although the New York Times said not to send them unsolicited because their mail-room employees just steal them. I’m gathering you got a reviews Gig deleted?

What do you mean? Are you saying not to choose the dominant hand for the tattoo? I theorized that people get tattoos because they find their body boring, spending the money on a personal trainer is a wiser investment. I just have a pet peeve with tattoos, I know a bodybuilder with huge arms, legs, etc, he got the words “STRONGER” tattooed on his arm. Seriously? Did he forget he’s stronger than everyone else? Or is he celebrating that he’s stronger than before? I’ll be LMAO when he’s 93, in a wheelchair, with the word stronger still in his now withered arm. God I’m cruel. LOL

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately:

“Amazon Vine is an invitation-only program. Vine Voices are selected based on several criteria, but primarily on the helpfulness of their reviews as judged by all other customers and by their demonstrated interest in the types of products that are featured in the program. Customers who consistently write helpful reviews and develop a reputation for expertise in specific product categories are most likely to be invited into the program.”

No chance in hell I’ll ever be invited.

So the same has happened to homework gigs? Funny, one of my clients needed a ad name for a company that edits thesis with Phd-level editors.

Fiverr bends over too much. Don’t they realize that asking other people to do your homework is a timeless tradition? That’s one way nerds made money in high school. Why do they care? If I do your homework and you don’t learn the material, you’re still going to fail your test.

I’m just glad my 16 remaining gigs are 100% legit. I just hope they remain that way.

P.S. Some clients have asked me to recommend them on LinkedIn, that I refuse to you. My LinkedIn profile is personal and real, I cannot risk my reputation by recommending someone I don’t know. However, I’ve seen gigs like that. You can buy references on Fiverr.

Unless someone buys that too.

And yes, Fiverr has been going through and shutting down the homework Gigs. They have also removed a few they thought were homework Gigs when they weren’t. Fiverr still allows assistance of some kinds, but they’re shutting down the ones that offer to do the work for you. I’m not sure exactly where the limit is.

As sellers, we should not forget that this platform is not ours. It’s Fiverr’s.
And we’re not real “free-lancers” as many believe… if you want to be a real freelancer then build your own webpage and start selling your services without worrying about ethics, morals or rules. You will answer just to yourself. :slight_smile:
Here we’re real employees… and like in every company, we work under rules. And a small change in the rules could bring your whole business to collapse from one day to the other.
Those rules tomorrow can change… a company can change, and then it doesn’t matter how long you were working:
"Ok, Mr. Fastcopywriter, we know you work with us since 7 years, you helped us to grow up, you made us earn a lot of money with your work, but now due to the new policy, you cannot sell your services here anymore. Thank you very much for your hard work, please don’t forget to close the door when you leave"
And that’s it.
It’s on us sellers to be flexible and prepare for those times to come. If we cannot adjust, we should then look elsewhere.