Don't Expect a Miracle for $5

magellon

I thought that perhaps this post would help buyers get a clear idea of what they can expect or not when they are buying a Gig.

First of all make sure that you read the details that are already given in the description of the Gig, and before you order, ascertain that you have understood every bit of it. If in doubt, ask questions. Don’t buy, THEN ask questions.

Then, once you have bought, don’t expect more than what was offered. Although, sellers will usually over deliver, it is not something that you should expect.

Don’t bully your seller in the hope of getting more than what you paid for.

If you haven’t had the results you were expecting, it is not necessarily the fault of your seller, so avoid giving a thumb down and a negative comment. It will unfairly damage an honest seller’s reputation, contact them before doing so, he/she might have an explanation and solution. If you check his/her rating and see, for example 123 thumbs up, and you are going to be the only thumb down, you won’t be taken seriously, and sellers might think twice before offering you their services because your seller will justly respond to that.

Remember, sellers at Fiverr are honest people like you and me who are trying to make a living, their financial situation might be desperate. You, as a buyer, are looking for a solution to whatever you wish to attain. We both need each others and are regular humans, so a pleasant, relaxed business relationship will go a long way towards achieving our goals.

I welcome comments, ideas and suggestions. 🙂

John

http://fiverr.com/magellon

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thy magellon for the intel, i started fiverr today, but i tought about this issue 🙂

What do you think guys? The way of communication (eg.: s***e, just pdf etc) has a huge influence on buyer ‘behaviour’?

With webinar kind of service you can get closer to your buyer and from that point you can establish a good relationship which may result in good feedback? 🙂

Magellon, let me ask you, how do you feel about legitimately deserved negative comments. I mean everyone cannot be perfect, not even on Fiverr. You uphold the seller as some downtrodden sap in desperate need of money yet make almost no provision for buyers for whom have been legitimately shafted by shoddy work. And no mention of sellers who actually commit crimes, like plagiarism.

Reply to @akilez: Thanks for your input. Personally, I think that someone who wants to make repeated sales needs to make sure that he/she delivers jobs properly done. Delivering poor jobs will very quickly get them negative comments and finally put them out of business.

A buyer who honestly feels that he has been cheated can always communicate with the seller to obtain repair and/or compensation.

So to answer your question: If a seller has not delivered a 100% acceptable job, or commits a crime such as plagiarism and is uncovered by his customer, he definitely deserves a negative comment, and be refunded. 

I do not know about this post, but I always overwork for my buyers and provide them the best possible. Because, most of the buyers, considers that you have done more than what you are offered for, and provide you a tip. So I think its worth it.

What should a buyer do about a fraudulent seller? One who appears to have delivered on the job but after a month, all that was done is suddenly disappeared… and he is not responding? I mean I’m not even asking for more than what I originally paid for…

I definitely agree with what you are saying, that is why I try to over deliver every time and make an honest working platform where I blend with my customer. 5 dollars may not be alot, but the opurtunity to work with a variety of people is why I mainly am a Fiverr seller. Whether people lack effort or not I always strive to make customers enjoy their time with me. JV

I haven’t expected a miracle. But I’ve gotten them! I’m very pleased with many of the Fiverrs I’ve worked with. I have no idea how old most fiverrs are (I’m over 30) but I could care less if they are 8 years old so long as they deliver. I know I would have been hawking stuff on fiverr if it was around when I was 8. So, I encourage very young people to get involved (although I’m not sure what the minimum age limit is around here.)

So, sometimes I do get some immaturity from my sellers. But,that’s OK, I’m happy to teach them how business works. In that way, they’re getting something from me worth way more than $5 and they don’t even have to pay me.

But yeah, people should be reasonable in their expectations. But some fiverrs are so unreasonably GOOD, that it makes it hard for the rest!

while sellers normally overdeliver, I have to say that buyers should not ask for additional services that can cause hassle for the sellers when your order is just $5. Please keep your expectations limited within what the gig offers and pay more if you need more. I have had buyers who have been asking me to do things and even persuading me for what they want for $5 when I have clearly informed them that it is a hassle for me

Reply to @jasveena: I agree with Jasveena. As Fiverr is becoming popular, some buyers know that usually sellers over-deliver and they know the “tricks” to get even more for that little $5 as competition increases, and even how to get the job done for free. So I think that buyers should be reasonable in their expectations and sellers should come up with an impeccable job. This will go a long towards maintaining a pleasant business relationship within Fiverr.

I do not agree wiht the post, i have gotten several miracles; what you are trying to point out may be specific to some sellers but has nothing to do with $5

Some sellers are privileded to have certain information or original creators of concepts which they can afford to crash prizes to get their target number of orders.

I run a gig which was borne out of inspiration and curiosity and i offer some services free of charge because i spotted an opportunity, and believe me this is more like a miraculous offer as other sellers will charge about 2 gigs for the same service.

Nice post. I used to spend money on gigs regularly, but I have noticed sellers seem to deliver in the final minutes of a 7 day wait and give a message like “I know I was going to give you 5 of x but I could only come up with 3. Please let me know if this is a problem.” Yeah, it is a problem. This looks like it was thrown together last second to meet the deadline and you never communicated a problem in 7 days.

I have 2 active gigs right now. Neither seller has so much as said “Hi” over the past 6-7 days and now it is only hours before delivery due on both gigs. It’s scary what they’ll end up sending. I’m hoping it’ll be good work on time. Cancelling helps the seller, but it costs me time and another seller could have gotten my business.

Going to start looking at cancellations closer going forward.

UPDATE: Both orders late…no word from either seller. Fiverr gives them another 24 hours before I can cancel…so it will be Monday before I know if they’ll deliver what I needed today.

I have run into many buyers that want more than $5 can buy. In every case, if the person requests something I have mentioned in the gig description, I politely point that out and suggest they read the policy on that.

(By the way, we could really use more space there, or perhaps a separate page specifically for this sort of thing!)

If I don’t have a policy on it, I will do what they ask (within reason) and then create a policy on it afterwards. This way, the buyer gets what they’re looking for, and I see an area needing clarification and/or improvement.

If it is clearly something that cannot be covered for $5, I will politely point that out and offer to do that service for an extra gig order or an order on my “tip” gig. Many buyers are happy to oblige.

Obviously, there will always be those stubborn few that insist on getting a new Cadillac for used lemon prices. There are ways to tackle that. Almost all of the other sellers that make book trailers limit revisions to ONE per order. So far, I haven’t had to do that, but I did have to limit music searches. I would have people ask for new music over and over and over, only to go with the first choice after all that. It can take HOURS or even days (depending on my “real job” work schedule) to find music, so I offer to change the music selection one time (since I don’t charge extra for this service), and then if they still don’t like it, I will send the buyer links to select their own music, which I will then incorporate into the video free of charge.

So yeah, it can get annoying trying to work around everything, but chin up! Every time something happens, be sure to create a policy about it if you don’t already have one. This will help eliminate a lot of headache.

And always be polite! 🙂

Reply to @goodgift: the limited revisions would save your time and make the work more efficient. I have ONE revision per order because I want them to check everything before they let me know what is there to be changed. Else you will spend HOURS or even DAYS to just make amendments which I feel is definitely not worth it. One revision will be enough to cover all changes IF the buyers CHECK the work properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn’t be more frustrated and disappointed. Am now on my third gig for the same painfully easy project. If I was in my office instead of traveling I could literally do it myself in under 15 minutes…which includes pouring a cup of coffee and turning on the computer.

Neither of the sellers I used delivered a product that was reasonably close to what I requested. Easy logo - two 6-letter words, all caps, two specific colors, this type of font…and here are some attached files with samples in case you have issues with my accent. Both had similar logos in their portfolios.

In return I have gotten three words, misspelled words, wrong colors, and the wrong type of font… and a week of my time wasted while the sellers are begging me every revision not to leave bad feedback because they need the work.

No joy, and really pissed off at the person who recommended this site to me. Would rather pay ten times as much and have it done right…or at least have a service provider who pretends to listen to the client and give them what they want.

with my vast experience as a Seller on various Micro Job sites I am more then behind your words!!!

I gully support you as this has been serious issue with me and even the time spent from me to explain everything or just pay attention to the non-satisfied buyer cost me a lot ( may be some other more serious order)…

Yes they expect miracles but don’t expect that the order may cost more …

• 2 weeks later...

Meh. My experience as a buyer has gone downhill. There seems to be resentment by sellers because they feel shortchanged. Not making enough money? Then revise your gig and add on options! I don’t like being treated like a cheapskate just because I’m a buyer here.

I completely agree with everything written in this post. Most of our gigs are only five dollars so you shouldn’t expect something that you aren’t paying for. Most of us do our absolute best to complete all requests to the buyers satisfaction. It isn’t fair to bully any seller into providing something that they never said they would provide in the first place.

Archived