Don't feel SAFE to provide my ssn thru Fiverr W9 request

lemonjolly

Lately, Fiverr asked all of US people to file W9 on the site.
But I am worried about providing personal information through the site is safe or not. What would they gonna do with all our info? I tried to fill that bloody form 3 times, but all these thoughts kept bothering me…

If Fiverr must do this, I’ll just need to quit using it then.
Any other people having the same concern?

It is widely discussed here: W-9 US Verification Requirement

I saw all the non US citizens discuss about filling it or not and other questions. but I hardly find any related to SAFETY issues. I guess I’ll just quit using Fiverr.

I filed taxes with Fiverr incomes every year in the past. I can file it on my own, I don’t need a 3rd party and online filing another…

I saw all the non US citizens discuss about filling it or not and other questions. but I hardly find any related to SAFETY issues. I guess I’ll just quit using Fiverr.

I filed taxes with Fiverr incomes every year in the past. I can file it on my own, I don’t need a 3rd party and online filing another…

but I hardly find any related to SAFETY issues.

Check this out: https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/w-9-collection

There is a contact us button at the bottom of the article if you require further help.

• 3 months later...

Hey can I know if you ended up doing it because i have the same concerns. And I’m 17 so i want to know if you think I shouldn’t

If you are in the U.S. and do not fill out the form, your Gigs will be paused until you do. You will not be able to sell here unless you fill out that form. Doesn’t matter if you are 17 or 88 - if you are a U.S. citizen, Fiverr is required to have this information from you.

GG

If you are in the U.S. and do not fill out the form, your Gigs will be paused until you do. You will not be able to sell here unless you fill out that form. Doesn’t matter if you are 17 or 88 - if you are a U.S. citizen, Fiverr is required to have this information from you.

GG

I personally don’t feel it’s safe to put my social security on there. And how would they know where I’m located, i never said i was in the U.S lol. I will email them and discuss. The reason for including my age was not because I thought it exempted me because I’m young but because I don’t know how tax works lol. Your message was probably just you trying to give genuine advice but the tone was a bit harsh…

I personally don’t feel it’s safe to put my social security on there. And how would they know where I’m located, i never said i was in the U.S lol. I will email them and discuss. The reason for including my age was not because I thought it exempted me because I’m young but because I don’t know how tax works lol. Your message was probably just you trying to give genuine advice but the tone was a bit harsh…

how would they know where I’m located, i never said i was in the U.S lol.

Because location information is on every profile.

image.png.70b7c3f5350e17c0f89e0bf6a8b4dce4.png
image550×579 71.8 KB

As @genuineguidance if you’re a US citizen you need to fill out the form.

how would they know where I’m located, i never said i was in the U.S lol.

Because location information is on every profile.

As @genuineguidance if you’re a US citizen you need to fill out the form.

I already filled it out. And even before I did, when I didn’t understand what to do i put “not located in the U.S” and they still approved it, so…

If any of you are in the US and nervous about handing over your SSN, remember that Fiverr:

Is a publicly-traded company worth 5 billion dollars and one that is actively on the New York Stock Exchange and thus subject to a LOT of regulations and oversight in terms of how they handle data, accounts, financials, etc. They’re not going to risk that valuation playing games with SSNs.

Every job you’ve ever applied to, even as a teen - gas stations, restaurants, retail stores, etc - has either a digital or physical copy of your SSN floating around. Doubly so if you actually worked for them, that info is on the W-9 you filled out. I guarantee you the security on those little applications torn off a pad they keep under the counter have FAR less security than Fiverr does, and yet you’ve never worried about those.

You can always go on the IRS website, apply as a sole proprietor, and get an EIN (employer identification number). This functions as an SSN would, except it’s for your “business,” allowing you to satisfy the ID requirement without revealing your personal SSN, if that’s important to you.

And I am obviously the one who fills out the information you see in my bio. I could easily have changed it to elsewhere.

Also, Divine, you’re going to want to adjust your gigs. Talking about research papers, that’s education adjacent and against the TOS on Fiverr. They’ll yank your account for that sooner or later, just a heads up.

Also, Divine, you’re going to want to adjust your gigs. Talking about research papers, that’s education adjacent and against the TOS on Fiverr. They’ll yank your account for that sooner or later, just a heads up.

Ok thanks, for both things you said but could you explain why the research paper goes against it? Just trying to know so I can avoid doing something similar again. And also, since you checked my gig out I’m sure you have an idea of what I’m trying to do so what would you recommend I change it to?

Yea i was just looking at other gigs and i seen that some top sellers are offering writing articles for people, so what’s the difference with a research paper and if its only a problem with the research paper, I can simply take that out since it’s only really an additional offer.

Yea i was just looking at other gigs and i seen that some top sellers are offering writing articles for people, so what’s the difference with a research paper and if its only a problem with the research paper, I can simply take that out since it’s only really an additional offer.

Article writing / ghostwriting is A-okay (part of what I do myself, in fact), just have to scrub any mention of school, “papers”, research papers, etc. out of your gig text and bio. Might also want to change up the gig picture with the mottled composition book just for safety’s sake…I doubt they’ll nick you on it, but out of an abundance of caution. 🙂

Also, regarding other sellers offering things they shouldn’t (this is to everyone in general, not necessarily what you’ve said here), that should never be used as a barometer for what’s okay/what’s not. They just haven’t been caught yet, is all - it’s like how seeing someone shoplifting doesn’t mean it’s okay to start doing it yourself, etc. Fiverr will find them eventually, they always do. 🙂

Also, regarding other sellers offering things they shouldn’t (this is to everyone in general, not necessarily what you’ve said here), that should never be used as a barometer for what’s okay/what’s not. They just haven’t been caught yet, is all - it’s like how seeing someone shoplifting doesn’t mean it’s okay to start doing it yourself, etc. Fiverr will find them eventually, they always do. 🙂

Ok thank you I’ll try and change that. And I don’t now about changing the cover but I’ll see.

Sorry about the “tone”.

And, if you intend to be a freelancer, you should probably learn about your tax obligations.

Maybe Fiverr will let you mail in your tax form? I doubt it though. They know where you are because you have an IP number.

GG

I wish you said this before hand, would’ve encouraged me not to?

Since I stopped using fiverr, I don’t check forum (it’s even more steps to reach), I saw your reply in my email randomly instead… 😳

Like others said, fiverr had have many users filled their w9, and you can officially do earnings too. That’s good thing.

Wait, so you put that you worked outside if the US?

At first when i was confused on what to do but I emailed them for more information and ended up doing the W9. However, I’m no longer really using Fiverr because I started doing my gigs separately and I’ve gotten so much clients and way more pay, thank God. I’ll use Fiverr on occasion.

• 8 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 12:56 PM, divineebube25 said:

At first when i was confused on what to do but I emailed them for more information and ended up doing the W9. However, I’m no longer really using Fiverr because I started doing my gigs separately and I’ve gotten so much clients and way more pay, thank God. I’ll use Fiverr on occasion.

Hiii. If you don't mind sharing, how are you doing your gigs separately ? Is it on some other platform ? I am very hesitant to share my SSN here and idk what to do. Cause if I won't share my SSN, Fiverr won't post any of my gigs. Will be helpful if you know of any other platform or share how you are doing your gigs. Am a personal stylist btw

Archived