Don't give unlimited revisions!

Hello there I’m fairly new seller so it’s up to you if you want to take this tip or leave it. I’ve seen some sellers giving “unlimited revisions” in their gig. Giving unlimited revision has one good advantage that the client may trust you regarding quality of delivery but it may backfire at you.

You should clearly define the number of proposals you’re willing to offer like 2, 3 or whatever you want. But if you decide to give unlimited revisions then buyer 's mind will tell him that the delivered product is not good even if it’s good because they want more revisions as it’s free. Also CS may not be able to help you with this if buyer keeps asking for revisions as you clearly said you’ll provide unlimited revisions in your gig.

Just my thoughts,

“Take it or leave it there’s no in between.” 😁

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3,500 completed orders.

Have ‘unlimited revisions’ in place.

Not once have I been asked for a revision beyond “save in a .doc format instead”

So, I really don’t think that your theory holds ground, at least not when it comes to writing.

3,500 completed orders.

Not once have I been asked for a revision beyond “save in a .doc format instead”

So, I really don’t think that your theory holds ground, at least not when it comes to writing.

I’m glad it worked for you. It’s based on my personal experience.

Honestly, it is up to the relationship between the Seller and their Buyer’s. I have given 1 or 2 revisions to people because they either wanted me to pay attention to certain areas only AFTER the delivery, or because I missed something small. However, there have also been instances where the Buyer was trying to take advantage of my services and/or get work that they did not pay for. For those, I have charged the Buyer for additional revisions, or kindly explained that additional revisions were not possible. The “lesson” here is to know when you’re truly revising work/mistakes that YOU have made vs. someone trying to take advantage of what you are offering.

Buyers will always be disappointed, because they dont always give good info about what they really need/want but expect something awesome after and so on 🙂

That’s true, they expect you to kill the job even without important information.

Honestly, it is up to the relationship between the Seller and their Buyer’s. I have given 1 or 2 revisions to people because they either wanted me to pay attention to certain areas only AFTER the delivery, or because I missed something small. However, there have also been instances where the Buyer was trying to take advantage of my services and/or get work that they did not pay for. For those, I have charged the Buyer for additional revisions, or kindly explained that additional revisions were not possible. The “lesson” here is to know when you’re truly revising work/mistakes that YOU have made vs. someone trying to take advantage of what you are offering.

A very nice piece. You have said it all 😄

Yeah! It makes sense somehow. But there are some people who want there work done. They have specific requirements. changing requirements again and again just for the seek of free revisions does not make sense in there type. But yeah some people start demanding more and more.
It happens 🙂

It is not always true. I mean if you did the job well, there would not be room for revision

That may be true for gigs in data entry and audio transcription where the job is done well or done wrong. But what about other gigs? How can a logo, brand name, headline, Facebook ad, etc, be wrong? What if the client can’t recognize quality?

You’d be shocked at what clients reject. I understand a revision request because the seller didn’t understand the instructions or didn’t read them well the first time. However, 99% of revision requests are “I don’t like it” or “this isn’t what I want.” Very few of them are specific enough.

Sometimes I think I should offer 0 revisions, I don’t because I’m afraid of killing myself, so I stick with one revision. It’s a question of money, the more you make me work, the less money I make. For example, suppose I give you a $2,000 job and then demand revisions 200 times and you end up spending 2,000 hours on that project. Is that worth it? I think you’d be better off making $50 an hour, everyday, and then you’d make $1,500 a month after just 30 or 31 hours. Even if you’re making $500 less, you’re working far less. In fact, you might have days you make $25, $85, $100, $150, $70, and maybe if your average is $64.52 a day, you’ll make $2000.12 in 31 days.

Now if you’re doing Fiverr for fun, if you enjoy making revisions, by all means, offer unlimited revisions. But if you want to make money, forget about it.

I offer unlimited revisions to my regular buyers who always request custom orders. That’s mainly because I have confidence they are very unlikely to take the option. One or two tweaks has been all that they’ve asked for.

Once or twice I have offered unlimited revisions in a custom order for someone new, and a couple of other times I’ve been made to really work for my my $5, but generally unless people are taking the rip, I don’t tend to get asked for unlimited revisions. Sometimes, through gritted teeth, I have wondered why the buyer didn’t just send me a link to the piece they wanted to see and ask me simply to proofread it and publicise the link, mind.

I agree with the mentality behind setting a certain number of revisions for an order. I find it really helps my clients gather their thoughts before requesting a revision. Instead of asking for me to change one thing at a time and therefor wasting my time, it helps them lay out the details of what works and what doesn’t.

Returning clients are also better because you get a feel for their style and can get to a point where you may not need any revisions at all 🙂

I have a “one revision unless I got it wrong” policy, and I have people who try to push that. I have a Photoshop coloring gig, and the most notable one was someone who kept rejecting it and asking “how something wasn’t colored right”. By the 3rd time around I realized I would practically recoloring the entire image. Put my foot down there and told them that they’d need to order additional revisions for me to continue.

So it depends on who it is. There are bad apples who do try to abuse it.

3,500 completed orders.

hi ryangillam,

i agree with you 🙂

It’s a good tip. But, it doesn’t really give you an edge anyway. I have had the pleasure of tackling a buyer who threatened to leave a bad review if I didn’t refund him. He never asked for any revision as the article was written very well.

What I meant by that is that it depends on two factors:

• Your Buyer
  • Your Skills

I believe it is good business practice to clearly define and LIMIT the number of revisions that you are including in the price because everyone, even the best client in the world, needs boundaries. This helps set the value for your service, not only for you, but all the other folks in your specialty that are trying to make a living, too.

Hello there I’m fairly new seller so it’s up to you if you want to take this tip or leave it. I’ve seen some sellers giving “unlimited revisions” in their gig. Giving unlimited revision has one good advantage that the client may trust you regarding quality of delivery but it may backfire at you.

You should clearly define the number of proposals you’re willing to offer like 2, 3 or whatever you want. But if you decide to give unlimited revisions then buyer 's mind will tell him that the delivered product is not good even if it’s good because they want more revisions as it’s free. Also CS may not be able to help you with this if buyer keeps asking for revisions as you clearly said you’ll provide unlimited revisions in your gig.

Just my thoughts,

“Take it or leave it there’s no in between.” 😁

Agreed!

When you give “unlimited” you are giving a chance to abuse your time and that affects the quality. People who ask for more revisions are just inexperienced and probably they don’t even know what they want to achieve. Ultimately, you will end up messing up everything.

Archived