Don't let a custom offer be the kiss-of-death

matureactress

Custom offers (or quotes as we call them in the US) can be the kiss-of-death for Sellers if not done properly.

To avoid losing money or receiving a bad review you should consider the following:

1. Don’t rush it. When you rush to get out a quote you will inevitably overlook something.

2. Ask plenty of questions of your potential Buyer. In the course of asking questions you will uncover hidden details that you’ll want to factor into your quote. And by asking questions you are indirectly educating your Buyer and establishing yourself as an expert, all of which gives them confidence they’re making the right decision to purchase from you.

3. Know your value. Your skill set took time, energy and money to develop to the point you’re at. Have a standard hourly rate based on your skill set and experience and build the quote upwards from there.

4. CYA -Custom offers are a binding business contract. Make sure you include everything in it before you hit the submit button.

You are right but sometimes there is risk of losing the business.

It recently happened with me. I was checking requirements and gathering related information. When I offer the price for the project, buyer replied “Gig is taken. Thanks anyway.”

You are right but sometimes there is risk of losing the business.

It recently happened with me. I was checking requirements and gathering related information. When I offer the price for the project, buyer replied “Gig is taken. Thanks anyway.”

Trust me.

Any Buyer who expects Sellers to give them a quote blindly is being grossly unfair and will continue to be unfair right up until (and including) the time to accept delivery.

Yeah! It´s better to be selective with customers than being “raped” by them, lol.
Yesterday I made a personalized enterprise logo from scratch and sent a watermarked sampled, the customer love it but he only offered to me 10$ with ALL RIGHTS belonging to him… obviuously I said no as this is far from be a fair offer, so I don´t create the order. It was my fault as I took the risk and work before a binding order was created but it´s crystal clear I don´t give away my work almost for free.
Also I registered the logo in order he could send the order to an unfair designer to carbon copy it.

Yeah! It´s better to be selective with customers than being “raped” by them, lol.

Yesterday I made a personalized enterprise logo from scratch and sent a watermarked sampled, the customer love it but he only offered to me 10$ with ALL RIGHTS belonging to him… obviuously I said no as this is far from be a fair offer, so I don´t create the order. It was my fault as I took the risk and work before a binding order was created but it´s crystal clear I don´t give away my work almost for free.

Also I registered the logo in order he could send the order to an unfair designer to carbon copy it.

Requesting a free sample when a portfolio is available and will suffice, is an excuse to rob a Seller.

Requesting a custom offer for a project, when the pricing is clear and can be found on the gig, is just an excuse to haggle with the Seller. Every time I’ve been pulled into the haggling battle I’ve lost, so I won’t do it anymore.

Requesting a free sample when a portfolio is available and will suffice, is an excuse to rob a Seller.

Requesting a custom offer for a project, when the pricing is clear and can be found on the gig, is just an excuse to haggle with the Seller. Every time I’ve been pulled into the haggling battle I’ve lost, so I won’t do it anymore.

Your tips are spot on!

80-85% of my orders are custom orders as they don’t fall in any of packages of my gig. Mostly because every work is a little different in my category of work.

I would just like to add some things to the second point -

1. Some clients don’t like when you ask so many questions so you should let them know why it is necessary for their project when they start to feel agitated.
  2. You will find clients who do not know what they exactly want so the questions you ask will clear a lot of things but before you spend 15-20 minutes talking, you should give them a price range for the project and ask them if they are ready to discuss this further so that after all the talking when the client has enough of your guidance, they don’t say “Sorry, but my budget is only insert the lowest amount possible

I would not advise asking the client’s budget.

The tips shared are great!

Your tips are spot on!

80-85% of my orders are custom orders as they don’t fall in any of packages of my gig. Mostly because every work is a little different in my category of work.

1. Some clients don’t like when you ask so many questions so you should let them know why it is necessary for their project when they start to feel agitated.
  2. You will find clients who do not know what they exactly want so the questions you ask will clear a lot of things but before you spend 15-20 minutes talking, you should give them a price range for the project and ask them if they are ready to discuss this further so that after all the talking when the client has enough of your guidance, they don’t say “Sorry, but my budget is only insert the lowest amount possible

in addition to your thoughts: If you’re the selling guy who needs to get everything cleared out first but the client is too impatient, step back and move on with your next client. My projects on Fiverr often take many hours up to few days, my clients know this and know that they must wait.

I’ve had a few buyers who give complete information and samples and place an order. When I send them the work, they say that this is not what they want. When I ask them what they want, they are not sure of that, even though what I send them is according to their requirements and samples.

In the end, they’ve asked me to cancel the order and that is what I do. Because there is no use to propose revisions to those who do not know what they actually want.

My most of revenues come from custom offers as my gig prices are not so high.If someone ask me for a custom offer below than my gig prices I politely tell them I can’t do so.

In addition to your polite (and wise refusal) to requests for a lower price, you may want to add…

My past Buyers have found my work to be worth the price and you will too.

Your tips are spot on!

Oh Oh Oh… I love your additions to my tips; especially #2! Offering a price range is a brilliant idea and I’m going to start using it. Thanks for sharing.

Greetings! I love all the tips here, very helpful! I’m a new seller here on Fiverr and a lot of my orders are custom orders. From the tips that I’m seeing, I’m guessing it’s not a good idea to ask for a price range? Not necessarily a budget but just to get an idea of what price range the buyer is thinking of. I’m guessing that is not a good idea, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks again for all the tips!

MonnieP

Greetings! I love all the tips here, very helpful! I’m a new seller here on Fiverr and a lot of my orders are custom orders. From the tips that I’m seeing, I’m guessing it’s not a good idea to ask for a price range? Not necessarily a budget but just to get an idea of what price range the buyer is thinking of. I’m guessing that is not a good idea, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks again for all the tips!

MonnieP

Hi MonnieP,

In the real world (not cyberspace) asking a client for their budget is commonplace. However, here on Fiverr many Buyers see this as a red flag and feel they may be exploited if they reveal their budget. So Sanverma96 offered a great solution and advises that Sellers don’t ask the Buyer their price range, but offer yours.

For instance you may want to respond with … “My price range for the project you’ve described is $ -$$$, if you can supply me with more details I can give you an exact quote”… then follow by asking your pertinent questions.

Best wishes for success on Fiverr!

Hi MonnieP,

In the real world (not cyberspace) asking a client for their budget is commonplace. However, here on Fiverr many Buyers see this as a red flag and feel they may be exploited if they reveal their budget. So Sanverma96 offered a great solution and advises that Sellers don’t ask the Buyer their price range, but offer yours.

For instance you may want to respond with … “My price range for the project you’ve described is $ -$$$, if you can supply me with more details I can give you an exact quote”… then follow by asking your pertinent questions.

Best wishes for success on Fiverr!

Hi Matureactress,

Thank you so much for that tip! That would make it much easier to set a price. Great advice! Thanks again!

MonnieP

Archived