Don't lie about your location [ARCHIVED]

ronhi85

So many people on Fiverr are lying about their geographical location. Well, I have bad news for you - clients can tell you are lying. All they have to do is read through your profile and they will know you come from Africa (like me) or Asia. Even if you manage to convince them to buy from you, your work will most likely not meet their standards and you will end up getting scathing reviews.

My advice? Just be honest about where you come from. Honesty is always the best policy. Lying will do you more harm than good.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I still don’t understand why they lie?

I think it is because most clients, especially those looking for content, prefer working with native english speakers

I agree with your posts @ronhi85. Even if you pay someone else to write your profile and gig descriptions, it will fall apart when the buyer makes contact. I’ve caught on to people over tiny slips. If their profile says USA but I contact them and they call me “dear” or write something off like “from 3 days” I immediately catch on.

Even if their service looks good and I understand their writing, once I find someone lying I don’t buy and I do report them to CS. It’s honorable that you are honest. I admire every seller I see who is honest about origin even though it slows their first few sales. After the ball gets rolling, you’ll still get orders.

When i realized fiverr puts your country flag by location next to your Avatar, i was happy because im flying my country’s flag high. All the way from South Africa providing a service to someone in Denmark ,putting a smile in their face for providing to them a service they need. It’s more than just making a $5 Sale. Those hiding (for some obvious reasons) their location must wake up!

I’m agreed. Why would anyone lie about his country?

Maybe they think they will get more orders this way… 😜

Maybe they think they will get more orders this way.

I have observed that some of them also lie about their time zones.

I don’t know how do they manage to do it but I have observed it.

This ‘thing’ mainly arises in the writing sections. It makes sense that someone would commonly choose a seller living in the USA over the seller living in any Eastern country in this section, but seriously lying here is of no use; one can easily conclude if a piece of writing is written by a native or not. I had seen many sellers from Eastern countries doing well in these sections, so errr… (ending this sentence here 😁)

IF YOU LIE YOU WILL NOT IMMEDIATELY BUT WILL DEFINITELY DIE ! 😂

rip.jpg.bf665dffccff303fbab1d662765ba217.jpg

@ronhi85: I don’t get that either. The location of the seller is irrelevant to me. I’ve brought from every continent, except Antartica - that’s only because I’ve never found a seller from there.

Some of the giveaways are overuse of the words: Please, Dear, or using adjectives after the noun. I don’t really care - I’m not hiring them because their profile says they are from the U.S.A. I hired them because they had either a great profile or gig examples up.

@ronhi85: I don’t get that either. The location of the seller is irrelevant to me. I’ve brought from every continent, except Antartica - that’s only because I’ve never found a seller from there.

Some of the giveaways are overuse of the words: Please, Dear, or using adjectives after the noun. I don’t really care - I’m not hiring them because their profile says they are from the U.S.A. I hired them because they had either a great profile or gig examples up.

I’m going to be offline for a period while I change my location to Antartica. i think I will make more sales 🙂

I agree with your posts @ronhi85. Even if you pay someone else to write your profile and gig descriptions, it will fall apart when the buyer makes contact. I’ve caught on to people over tiny slips. If their profile says USA but I contact them and they call me “dear” or write something off like “from 3 days” I immediately catch on.

Even if their service looks good and I understand their writing, once I find someone lying I don’t buy and I do report them to CS. It’s honorable that you are honest. I admire every seller I see who is honest about origin even though it slows their first few sales. After the ball gets rolling, you’ll still get orders.

Is it really necessary to report them? I mean, is there any need for that? if they have good reviews and provide quality service. you could probably just walk away. No?

I’m going to be offline for a period while I change my location to Antartica. i think I will make more sales 🙂

Oh, my gosh!!! You’re killing me. I needed a good laugh! It’s been a crazy stressful day. Thanks for cheering me up!! 😂

Is it really necessary to report them? I mean, is there any need for that? if they have good reviews and provide quality service. you could probably just walk away. No?

The ones I report mostly say they are “native speakers of English” and then make it super clear they are not. Their buyers expect communication to match. So far, the ones I’m talking about have enough reviews to stay on Fiverr, but are mediocre in most cases and their buyers may get an OK product (or not) but have trouble with concept discussions.

Yes, I think that’s misleading and it’s harmful to the site and to other sellers who are lumped in as bad for being from another country. I report them and I am all for their suspensions.

If they can pass for native speakers, I never know they aren’t - thus - I don’t report them. I guess those get away with it, but its about the quality of the work here more than just the deceit alone.

Great post! Firstly when I’ve joined here I even didn’t noticed that some people lie about their geographical location, I like the flag country feature and never thought about hide the fact that I come from Romania.
About the grammar and language skills, I know I can’t be compared as a native english speaker/writer but I always do my best and try to avoid using words or phrases that I don’t know. When I don’t understand exactly something I always ask for clarifications and my buyers loves that, they love that they can see obviously I care about what I am trying to do and that’s very important in this business.
Once again, great post and have a wonderful 2017!

When i realized fiverr puts your country flag by location next to your Avatar, i was happy because im flying my country’s flag high. All the way from South Africa providing a service to someone in Denmark ,putting a smile in their face for providing to them a service they need. It’s more than just making a $5 Sale. Those hiding (for some obvious reasons) their location must wake up!

@mzie88: Aweosme to see people repping South Africa! That’s where my dad was born, and I plan on visiting someday.

I don’t discriminate against which country you’re from, but like others have said, if you’re lying then that’s an instant turn-off.

I’m from Nigeria and I think it’s pretty clear why people hide their location. For certain services you render (say writing like myself) people tend to prefer those from “Native English speaking countries”.

It’s funny when you are aware your services are much better than those of certain persons from these appreciated regions, but you are ignored entirely because of your nationality. I’ve personally had to work extra hard to get to this point (Level 1 and pushing), but I sometimes get this feeling I’d have fared better if my location read: America.

So, bottom line: Honesty is the best policy. I know this, and I stand by it. But at times it feels as though running my service through another location would bring in more sales - and that is true.

Archived