Fiverr Forum

Don't Need The Money That Badly

Really? You want to haggle over the price of 2,100+ word ebook you want done. I swear some buyers have the nerve… No names of course. Oh yes, the promise of “I am looking for someone to work with long-term” crept into the conversation, where he wants to pay just $15 on a normal $20 price for said word count. Let me jump up and down… whooohoo! I am so looking forward to that… NOT!

You know, if I was hard up - No, not even then! Fiverr already gives buyers a chance to purchase services for less money than elsewhere in the market. And, to throw up the fact that I couldn’t meet your original deadline for the price quoted, you want to pay less. It doesn’t work that way!

Either buyers pay me what I’m worth or you can look elsewhere… There’s a reason we have a deadline, and there’s a reason we have extras… Don’t want to pay what I offer in my gig… then you need to look elsewhere…

Good-bye. Rant over!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Agreed that the long term pitch with a price where you might not even break even isn’t really all that golden!

Merry Christmas!

You should also highlight that out of that $20 order, you already lose $4. Him paying you $15 only nets you $12. That’s rather low for the work involved. It always puzzles me when I get the occasional person contesting a $5 order. I mean, really? They probably bought a coffee for that earlier.

Don’t you love it when this happens! :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a guy several weeks ago who wanted a $200 gig done for $100, he said he will be giving me a lot of gigs in the future ( yeah right), I told him no, several days after that he places an order for $95. Of course I canceled it.

I will not wish a Merry Christmas to that cheap-@$$ buyer who was trying to rip me off, whatever his name was, but to all the other wonderful people here at Fiverr, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Reply to @freelancemm: I actually did that. And, his response was to throw up the fact that I couldn’t do the work in the timeframe he requested so that automatically gave him the right to knock $5 off the price. Pfft! What a cheapskate.

I politely told him that I felt he needed to find another person to work with him that could meet his deadline and his budget. I also said that my price was more than fair all things considering. Plus, I told him that I could get him the work in 10 days or less, despite the fact that my turnaround time on that particular gig is 29 days.

Did I hear from him again? Of course not!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Reply to @emeraldawnn: Ehh, yeah. Sounds like a good idea to just give up and move on. I know places where you can charge almost triple for that and more. Him asking $5 off seems ridiculous. Happy holidays, :slight_smile:

Reply to @zeus777: Anyone that usually states, “i’ll be giving you lots of gigs in the future” and spent $5 to $10 usually worries me, haha.

I run into people like this all of the time. I tell them they can either pay the rate or go somewhere else. Just stand firm with your rates. You are Level 2 so someone has to be paying them.

I get buyers all the time who want me to write 10 articles for 2 gigs, instead of 10 gigs. I realize they may be from a poorer part of the world, but I live in an expensive part of the world and I need to pay my bills too.

Again, I wish we had some sort of order approval system. Woke up this morning to find an order: yay! Actually got on and looked at it: someone purchased my article rewrite gig asking me to go and buy his iPhone app and leave it a five star review. Come on, you know that doesn’t have anything to do with this gig and it’s not even something I could/would offer because I don’t even have an iPhone/iPod/iPad and neither does anyone I live with.

He didn’t even message me beforehand to see if I did own one of those products or whether or not I found it ethical to be asked to leave a five star review. It was the first time I was tempted to just deliver a garbage gig and take his money without doing any work, as in the moment, I felt it he didn’t even have the most basic level of respect for my time or business. Obviously, it’s not really that big of a deal, but I’ve had to cancel two orders in the last two days because a buyer purchases and throws an extremely random, outrageous, and non-gig-related request out there–and this time, one it would be completely impossible for me to complete.

This isn’t even something I can address in my gig descriptions (also, I don’t think I should have to put “Please only buy this gig if the task actually fits into the scope of the gig and the gig price, unless we have discussed the task beforehand” in my descriptions. That should just be common sense), because I’ve maxed out the character limit already trying to tell people what I can and can’t do. GRRRRRR.

emasonwrites said: I don't think I should have to put "Please only buy this gig if the task actually fits into the scope of the gig and the gig price, unless we have discussed the task beforehand" in my descriptions. That should just be common sense), because I've maxed out the character limit already trying to tell people what I can and can't do. GRRRRRR.
Right before Christmas I went through all of my gig descriptions to make room for 'what should be common sense' directions, or rather to elaborate on what I thought was already thoroughly preemptive. I was silly enough to think "I do not post reviews!" & "I will only post on a website/forum that you own!" was sufficient to stop folks from ordering Yelp reviews.

I have become so much wiser since joining Fiverr. ;)

Reply to @itsyourthing: The thing is that if someone asked me to buy a Windows phone app and paid me extra to do so, and asked me to post an honest review of that app, I would be willing to do it, even if they purchased it on the wrong gig (I’m not really that picky, as long as what they’re asking is within the scope of one of my gigs).

I don’t want to spend the whole description writing, “This gig is not for reviews, this gig is not for original articles, this gig is not for blah blah blah,” when it could be for those things, if someone bothered to ask. I use this “restaurant” analogy a lot, but it’s like walking into a burger joint and demanding they give you a salad, when one isn’t on the menu. Consumers should know better than that–and I know saying “should know better,” is dangerous because there will always be people that will try/demand anything.

Anyway, I know it’s not really that big of a deal. It was just the first thing I had to deal with this morning and it really confused me that he would place an order like that without even confirming I even had an Apple device.

Reply to @emasonwrites:

emasonwrites said: Consumers should know better than that--and I know saying "should know better," is dangerous because there will always be people that will try/demand anything.
I've seen quite a few sellers start all of their gig descriptions with "Contact me before ordering". I'd personally rather get the occasional random order than spend time going back and forth with every potential buyer, but I do wonder if it limits orders placed or if the 'quality' of the orders compensates for quantity.

Reply to @itsyourthing: I usually like it when someone just orders, but in cases where there’s a very real chance the order will be impossible for me complete, that’s when there should be a question beforehand, in my opinion. I’m sure it just didn’t cross his mind that I might be among the heathens that don’t own an Apple product, which is fine.

Reply to @emasonwrites: I dig it. My household is Apple-free as well. I have a similar boycott on MS Word. I have software to work around/with it, but the assumption is usually there.

I guess the problem is that people just assume too often. Kind of like the assumption that people would make sure what they are buying is actually what they want or need. :slight_smile:

In all my experience on Fiverr I have had the, “I’m looking to work with someone long term…” thrown at me many times and never has it happened. 99% of the time it was accompanying a request to do something I don’t do or a lot of work for very little money.

Of all those situations where I ended up working with the buyer, they have never come back. (And not because I’m crap, I do good work and have the reviews and repeat business to back that up.) The funny thing is, all my actual repeat buyers never “promised” me repeat business on the first order. They just kept coming back when they needed something else.

The way I figure it, I will be happy to give you a discount for repeat business…when you come back and give me repeat business.

Reply to @theslackjaw: Agreed.