I am writing this simply because I have seen quite a few accounts of established users being warned, suspended or permanently banned in the past couple of months. I am reliably informed that this does not happen on a whim or without Fiverr doing due investigation into seller’s accounts.
Whether Fiverr are becoming more vigilant in terms of how sellers behave or if it has always been like this but people are more aware of the forum now, I do not know. What I do know is that in many of the cases we have seen on the forum, in one way or another, after some discussion there does seem to be valid reasons for the action taken. Often it seems like the sellers in question had been doing something that wasn’t allowed, even though it seemed like a good idea at the time.
The thing is, it only takes one person to complain about an issue for you to be investigated and if a pattern is seen then it is likely action will be taken immediately. So, even if you may have good intentions such as delivering to alert a buyer that you need their input or sending them an email because they did not respond to Fiverr messages, these actions are not ok. You need to stick to the rules. Going outside the rules puts your account at risk and a simple misunderstanding could lead to you being reported.
I recently had a $250 order which was placed without enough info and with a phone number to get more details. Obviously, I could have called the buyer and it is likely that they would have given me the info, however that is against ToS. After 2 weeks of sending reminders and disputes, the order was near end time. So I contacted CS, explained the situation and they then tried contacting the buyer. There was still no response so CS cancelled the order as a mutual cancellation which had no actual effect on my account as it was not my fault.
That is a big lost order but that is the best way I could deal with the situation. Sure I lost money but it had no negative effect on me or my account.
So, what I am begging people to do is be vigilant about how you operate:
- Read the Fiverr ToS regularly (as a mod I have to check things there all the time so I have got very familiar with them but I suggest everyone do this too)
- If you feel the need to do something “off standard” then contact customer support and post the question on the forum. Other sellers can advise you and when you get a response from CS, post it on the thread so we can all learn.
- If you offer a service that could be seen as controversial, ask customer support BEFORE you post a gig or add new things to a gig.
- Never offer any contact details unless you have explicit permission from CS first. Trust and Safety staff are willing to give permission if the details are necessary for the order (not just easier), just ask and if this causes a delay then explain to the buyer. If you need to do this often, ask CS how you can change your gig to make it ok to do without asking each time.
- If you think you have a “unique idea”, ask CS first. There may be a reason why nobody else is doing it.
- If there is a problem, go to CS, don’t just hope that it will be resolved on its own. It is your account at stake, you need to be the one who takes action.
In every communication you have with Customer Support, be clear and concise - don’t ramble on. They have jobs to do so make it easy for them to understand.
If you get “permission” to do something, take a screenshot of the response to have as proof, just in case.
PS. When a user’s Fiverr account is disabled, their Forum account will be blocked soon afterwards as only Fiverr users are allowed use the Forum. In general, we try to allow some time for those users to ask questions or rant etc before being blocked.