Fiverr Forum

Dont you just hate it when

As a seller here on Fiverr, I am conscientious of the lead times I give my customers, I deliver on time, every time I see people buying my gigs as a contract, a promise of sorts that for their $5 I’m going to deliver a service when I say I’m going to.

I make sure I leave plenty of time to do my gigs and deliver so that my customers can give me feed back for alterations etc.

What really gets my goat is when I’m a buyer, I’m usually not afforded the same respect, not going to call names out, but just now,I have a gig I bought ending in 3 minutes, the guy just completed the order and asked for a further 8 hours to complete. Normally I wouldn’t mind, but why wait till the last 5 mins, mark the order as complete and waffle me?

Have you ever had experience of this as a buyer?

Regards

Wayne

I had a seller pull this on me. They marked the order as complete when it wasn’t and sent me a message saying they would work with me to finish it off as there was a lot of work involved. I was dubious about it but gave them the benefit of the doubt… A week goes past and I hear nothing at all. I message them to ask what the status of this was… their reply was “sorry I’m busy with other customers and cannot help you with this now”… I was so busy at the time I forgot about it otherwise they would have got some feedback from me.

As a seller, there have been times when I’ve had problems with delivering on time - usually because there has been maintenance on the site or site downtime which has prevented me from getting into the order to quickly check the details and start working on it. Luckily, when I’ve explained that buyers have understood but I always give them the option to cancel and would never deliver without actually delivering the work.

It is a shame when a seller like this makes the rest of us look good. I don’t buy much from Fiverr - not that I don’t want to help other sellers but because there is very little that I need from the site. My experiences with Fiverr sellers has usually been good.

As a seller, I have NEVER gone past the time except for when my buyer failed to send me my instructions. In most cases, the buyer has sent a message telling me they need more time to gather what they need. So, in those cases, it runs late into penalty because I don’t feel right marking it complete if it is not.

I have never and would never “ask for more time” as this is unprofessional. If you can’t deliver in the time you say, up your delivery time to be sure. Plain as that. I get your frustration!!

Reply to @madmoo: That is a good plan, I may use that. Thank you for the advice.

Reply to @madmoo: I always contact a seller BEFORE I buy. I ask a question or two about the offer, to be sure it’s right for me. When I get no response, I let it go and move on. When I get a well thought out, lucid response, it shows the seller is active, eager and concerned about delivering a good gig. I always let the seller know they can take the full time needed to get my work done. I find that by reaching out first, I get a higher quality of seller. As a seller, I appreciate the buyers who reach out to me first. I’m happy to respond to their questions or send a sample. It may be only $5, but sales come from building a rapport.

As a buyer I have had a couple sellers deliver work that wasn’t complete yet. I didn’t mind giving the extra time but I did reject the work since none had been done. One of them never delivered and I had to have support cancel the other was able to redeliver the work as soon as it was actually complete.

@lparziale "I have never and would never “ask for more time” as this is unprofessional. If you can’t deliver in the time you say, up your delivery time to be sure."

So what do you do if Fiverr maintenance stops you from being able to deliver on time? I’ve had three or four instances where I have come to log into Fiverr to get the details of a job and found that the site has been down. I check the Twitter page to find out when it is expected to be back online but there have been times that it has been down for hours (on one occasion for my whole working day). I had no choice but to message the buyers as soon as I could get back in to say that their delivery would be late - usually a couple of hours after the due time - because the due time was just after the site problems.

Asking for more time isn’t unprofessional as long as it is done in a timely manner and you can give a time/date. Asking for extra time is something that happens in the real business world for various reasons, including being out of stock, shipping issues, website problems, illnesses. It could be that the work is taking much longer than usual due to extra research or the buyer not understanding instructions and going back and forth between each other.

There are some things that are completely out of a seller’s control but communication is extremely important. Lack of communication or informing the seller after the delivery date (bar when site maintenance is the cause of the problem) is unprofessional.

Reply to @aingham69: I agree with madmoo - I have always tried to deliver my gigs at least a day before they are due, in case it happens. I am not judging - trust me - just think that it the exception and never the rule.

That doesn’t quite answer my question. Now I remember why I left the LinkedIn group since questions weren’t properly getting answered - it’s like talking to a politician. There’s also a lot of contradictory information on different threads such as “don’t leave it until the last minute” and then “buyers, give your sellers a little extra time as they might need it”.

I’m not putting down your suggestions. They won’t work for me due to the way I work and set up my diary for the day, my life and the fact that what I’ve been doing works 9 times out of 10 (the majority of the problem comes from Fiverr downtime that happens more than it really should and I’d suggest looking at a different webhost or upgrading a plan!). I just get really frustrated when there isn’t an actual answer to the question.

:slight_smile: The deadline is sacred. That’s why it’s called DEADLINE :smiley:

This was my question: So what do you do if Fiverr maintenance stops you from being able to deliver on time?

There was a day when Fiverr was down for the whole day - I think it ended up being over 24 hours. I always check the instructions before delivering after completing the work to make sure I’ve not missed anything accidentally and sometimes this has to be the day before, especially if a buyer has come up with something new. How was I meant to check the instructions then? If I missed something, it would have ended up being late before I would have needed to make some changes before delivering. And I think the next day I was going away and

Forward planning doesn’t answer the question - maybe great for hindsight but what would you have done at the time? It was against a statement that said someone would NEVER delivery late so I asked what they would do if Fiverr maintenance stops them from being able to deliver on time. You can’t say you would NEVER do something but you don’t know when something is going to affect you. I had a friend who’s computer has broken recently and she has a deadline for her new book and has now lost five days of working because of technical problems. That is the problem with technology, you can’t predict every little thing that could happen and while you can extend your lead times, it is impossible to factor everything. I have a six day turnaround on something that will take me 20-30 minutes to do. I counter for problem buyers, getting large volumes of work, buyers not reading descriptions, technical problems and to take into account that Fiverr is a part-time thing and I have a business outside of here and I’ve still had problems with Fiverr maintenance affecting my ability to deliver on time on some occasions, especially when I was out of access for a whole day, so I was simply looking for an answer to that question.

Sometimes, when Fiverr is “down” it is often just one browser and you can use a different browser. I have never been in the situation, so I will bow out of the conversation.

I think when there’s maintenance I’ve only ever seen the message the day before and that’s if I’ve logged in - I don’t log into Fiverr every day since this is just a side thing for me. The downtime I’m talking about is the site downtime, not problems with a browser, and it really does happen all to often with no notice and little notes on the Fiverr Twitter page saying “be back up and running in a few minutes”, which I’ve started reading as “an hour at least” now…If there’s a problem, the Twitter page is my first place to look to see if there is a problem they know about, then I’ll try another browser. When that doesn’t work, I contact Fiverr CS to find out if there is a problem that they aren’t aware of yet.

Let’s just agree that something that works for one, doesn’t work for another. Your method definitely doesn’t work for me. We all have different things happening in our lives. Getting out of the house to the library (or anywhere for that matter!) isn’t always possible for me with a four month old and no babysitter - I don’t think the people in the library will take too kindly to a screaming baby! It was tons easier before the little one (and before pregnancy when I had some major complications) but now it’s getting harder, which is why I keep this as a small thing on the side. My phone is great for sending quick messages but useless for sending completely work on.

For some this is a full time thing and their main source of income, for others it isn’t and for some family just gets in the way of everything.

Reply to @madmoo: I always contact a seller BEFORE I buy. I ask a question or two about the offer, to be sure it’s right for me. When I get no response, I let it go and move on. When I get a well thought out, lucid response, it shows the seller is active, eager and concerned about delivering a good gig. I always let the seller know they can take the full time needed to get my work done. I find that by reaching out first, I get a higher quality of seller. As a seller, I appreciate the buyers who reach out to me first. I’m happy to respond to their questions or send a sample. It may be only $5, but sales come from building a rapport.

As a buyer I have had a couple sellers deliver work that wasn’t complete yet. I didn’t mind giving the extra time but I did reject the work since none had been done. One of them never delivered and I had to have support cancel the other was able to redeliver the work as soon as it was actually complete.

@lparziale "I have never and would never “ask for more time” as this is unprofessional. If you can’t deliver in the time you say, up your delivery time to be sure."

So what do you do if Fiverr maintenance stops you from being able to deliver on time? I’ve had three or four instances where I have come to log into Fiverr to get the details of a job and found that the site has been down. I check the Twitter page to find out when it is expected to be back online but there have been times that it has been down for hours (on one occasion for my whole working day). I had no choice but to message the buyers as soon as I could get back in to say that their delivery would be late - usually a couple of hours after the due time - because the due time was just after the site problems.

Asking for more time isn’t unprofessional as long as it is done in a timely manner and you can give a time/date. Asking for extra time is something that happens in the real business world for various reasons, including being out of stock, shipping issues, website problems, illnesses. It could be that the work is taking much longer than usual due to extra research or the buyer not understanding instructions and going back and forth between each other.

There are some things that are completely out of a seller’s control but communication is extremely important. Lack of communication or informing the seller after the delivery date (bar when site maintenance is the cause of the problem) is unprofessional.

Reply to @aingham69: I agree with madmoo - I have always tried to deliver my gigs at least a day before they are due, in case it happens. I am not judging - trust me - just think that it the exception and never the rule.

That doesn’t quite answer my question. Now I remember why I left the LinkedIn group since questions weren’t properly getting answered - it’s like talking to a politician. There’s also a lot of contradictory information on different threads such as “don’t leave it until the last minute” and then “buyers, give your sellers a little extra time as they might need it”.

I’m not putting down your suggestions. They won’t work for me due to the way I work and set up my diary for the day, my life and the fact that what I’ve been doing works 9 times out of 10 (the majority of the problem comes from Fiverr downtime that happens more than it really should and I’d suggest looking at a different webhost or upgrading a plan!). I just get really frustrated when there isn’t an actual answer to the question.

:slight_smile: The deadline is sacred. That’s why it’s called DEADLINE :smiley: