Dried Smoked Fish

fitrigwrites4u

Last week someone gave me some dried smoked fish (quite a lot actually) from overseas. I had no idea how to cook it. The packaging says that it needs to be cooked first before consumption. So I just cooked it with onion, green paprikas (the hot ones), salt and a pinch of sugar. I grinded all the spices and then fried it in a pan, and then I added some water (not too much though) and I put some of the fish into the pan. I let it boil. It smelled so good and finally I thought it was ready to eat. To my surprise, the fish was so rubbery, it literally felt like chewing on the bottom of a shoe (not that I have tried to chew the bottom of a shoe though, lol). My bad I did not do a research first before cooking it.

Good thing was, I did not cook all of them. I then did a research. Turned out the fish must be put into cold water and left for 24 hours first before cooked. So, I´m gonna try it some time this week. Anyone has got an experience cooking dried smoked fish?

OMG! i just imagine" First time i want to Fry a Egg, I took The Egg and thought about your post, i run and open internet ( my internet are Slow) When i complete the research and get back to the kitchen for Fry The Egg i see there are no eeg suddenly i saw a baby Chicken, then i wish i want to Fry Chicken , but i don’t know how, again back on om mac and using my Slow internet “how i Fry that Chicken.” 😃

😃 have a great Day!

OMG! i just imagine" First time i want to Fry a Egg, I took The Egg and thought about your post, i run and open internet ( my internet are Slow) When i complete the research and get back to the kitchen for Fry The Egg i see there are no eeg suddenly i saw a baby Chicken, then i wish i want to Fry Chicken , but i don’t know how, again back on om mac and using my Slow internet “how i Fry that Chicken.” 😃

😃

Last week someone gave me some dried smoked fish (quite a lot actually) from overseas. I had no idea how to cook it. The packaging says that it needs to be cooked first before consumption. So I just cooked it with onion, green paprikas (the hot ones), salt and a pinch of sugar. I grinded all the spices and then fried it in a pan, and then I added some water (not too much though) and I put some of the fish into the pan. I let it boil. It smelled so good and finally I thought it was ready to eat. To my surprise, the fish was so rubbery, it literally felt like chewing on the bottom of a shoe (not that I have tried to chew the bottom of a shoe though, lol). My bad I did not do a research first before cooking it.

Good thing was, I did not cook all of them. I then did a research. Turned out the fish must be put into cold water and left for 24 hours first before cooked. So, I´m gonna try it some time this week. Anyone has got an experience cooking dried smoked fish?

Turned out the fish must be put into cold water and left for 24 hours first before cooked.

No offense but dried fish left to stand in water for 24 sounds a little sickening to me lol.

Turned out the fish must be put into cold water and left for 24 hours first before cooked.

No offense but dried fish left to stand in water for 24 sounds a little sickening to me lol.

@misscrystal LOL. That´s what I read about how to process it. According to what I read, soaking it in cold water for 24 hours before cooking will soften the fish. Actually I prefer fresh fish, but it was a gift and the person who gave me the fish knows that I like to do experiments with cooking different things. 🙂

@misscrystal LOL. That´s what I read about how to process it. According to what I read, soaking it in cold water for 24 hours before cooking will soften the fish. Actually I prefer fresh fish, but it was a gift and the person who gave me the fish knows that I like to do experiments with cooking different things. 🙂

Well hopefully it’s a lot better than what I am thinking it is.

I know it’s different but I’ve heard of this dried smoked fish thingy from my mom before.
She said years ago ( this is in Japan BTW), some lady she knew used to make this “special” smoked fish for the New Years, and what she did was:

1. Smoke the fish.
  2. Let it dry until it is hard. And she meant HARD, and I quote “Hard enough to bludgeon someone to death.” Wow, I didn’t know cooking can be so deadly, hahaha. BTW it’s winter time, she she just let it hang it outside, and the poor fishy was out there in the cold.
  3. After drying it for several days, take the fish and put it in water that has been used to wash rice, I think she said it was for a whole day or so.
  4. Take the fish and cook it with sake, soy sauce, etc.

Accordning to mom it really tasted good, so yes, dried smoked fish soaked in water can be tasty if you do it the right way. Let us know how it tasted!!

I know it’s different but I’ve heard of this dried smoked fish thingy from my mom before.

She said years ago ( this is in Japan BTW), some lady she knew used to make this “special” smoked fish for the New Years, and what she did was:

1. Smoke the fish.
  2. Let it dry until it is hard. And she meant HARD, and I quote “Hard enough to bludgeon someone to death.” Wow, I didn’t know cooking can be so deadly, hahaha. BTW it’s winter time, she she just let it hang it outside, and the poor fishy was out there in the cold.
  3. After drying it for several days, take the fish and put it in water that has been used to wash rice, I think she said it was for a whole day or so.
  4. Take the fish and cook it with sake, soy sauce, etc.

Accordning to mom it really tasted good, so yes, dried smoked fish soaked in water can be tasty if you do it the right way. Let us know how it tasted!!

“Hard enough to bludgeon someone to death.”

LOL. 😂

Okay I will tell how it turns out after I try my second attemp cooking the dried smoked fish. 🙂

I don’t see why it wouldn’t become full of bacteria. I mean any fish that sits out for days becomes putrid and rotten but then I guess it has to do with the processing. Simply being smoked wouldn’t stop the putrifaction I wouldn’t think.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t become full of bacteria

I will cook it after the fish soaks for 24 hours in cold water. What I will do is I will fry some spices, and then put the fish into the pan and add some water and let it boil. That´s probably not the right way to cook it as @zeus777 mentioned it should be with sake. I think when it is being cooked, the bacterias are dying and will die. 🙂

I don’t see why it wouldn’t become full of bacteria

I will cook it after the fish soaks for 24 hours in cold water. What I will do is I will fry some spices, and then put the fish into the pan and add some water and let it boil. That´s probably not the right way to cook it as @zeus777 mentioned it should be with sake. I think when it is being cooked, the bacterias are dying and will die. 🙂

Well it sounds delicious.

But while the fish is being soaked in the cold water it might catch bacterias. Good thing is, it has to be cooked first before consumption, so the bacterias will die. 🙂

@offlinehelpers Do you fancy smoked fish?

Plus you soak it under refrigeration. This is not smoked, but the same idea.

favicon.pngEpicurious
salt-cod-in-tomato-sauce-112916.jpg

Salt Cod With Tomatoes and Capers (Baccalà alla Vesuviana)

In Italy, this recipe is a classic holiday dish. For Christmas Eve, it would generally be served at room temperature, as part of a buffet.

Anyone has got an experience cooking dried smoked fish?

Yes, I do. Not the best fish I ever had in my life, but it was a good treat for my taste buds. Probably, because it was the first packaged food I ever ate.

P.S. In Pakistan, we get everything fresh, from the markets. The concept of packaged food is from little to none.

it literally felt like chewing on the bottom of a shoe

How tasty was the shoe in question? What was the flavor? 😉

In all seriousness, let us know how the finished fish comes out!

Once my dad brought something similar, if I am correct it was produced in Japan and it was some kind of a traditional food in there. Personally, it wasn’t for my taste, but this one was canned. I assume that yours was in a plastic wrap.

For a person like me, that’s used to the Balkan cuisine (EX-Yu countries) food like that isn’t tasty. Although, I love some Japanese dishes.

If this was me, I probably wouldn’t resoak the fish at all and eat it like I would a regular cut of fresh fish. Instead, I would shred dried pieces as finely as possible before either stir frying the pieces with lots of green veggies and/or later adding that mixture to a mash made out of new potatoes and making fish cakes.

I used to do a lot of fishing and nothing beats really fresh fish (at least in my opinion) therefore I wouldn’t try and turn a dried fish cut back into what it was originally. I’d instead appreciate it as a food ingredient.

In this case, if after your next soaking you still aren’t satisfied with the outcome, maybe use a food processor to shred whole pieces finally and make some kind of fish cake, stir fry or anything spicy and Asian themed.

If this was me, I probably wouldn’t resoak the fish at all and eat it like I would a regular cut of fresh fish. Instead, I would shred dried pieces as finely as possible before either stir frying the pieces with lots of green veggies and/or later adding that mixture to a mash made out of new potatoes and making fish cakes.

I used to do a lot of fishing and nothing beats really fresh fish (at least in my opinion) therefore I wouldn’t try and turn a dried fish cut back into what it was originally. I’d instead appreciate it as a food ingredient.

In this case, if after your next soaking you still aren’t satisfied with the outcome, maybe use a food processor to shred whole pieces finally and make some kind of fish cake, stir fry or anything spicy and Asian themed.

It would also make a lovely pate, or terrine!

I would shred dried pieces as finely as possible

You would probably need a food processor to grind it to a fine powder.

Archived