Drop Servicing from Outsiders?

ball13

Hey people I hope you are all safe and sound !! I have noticed lately the rise of Drop Servicing as an ecommerce trend and I believe that some of my works commissioned on Fiverr were actually drop serviced at a very higher price after. I was thinking a lot whether is ok or not for people to come on fiverr pay the minimum they can get for a service and then go outside and actually resell the service for a much higher price and profit. What is your thoughts and opinions on this happening? Is it Good? Is it something we should be happy with or is it just Exploitation and further regulations for protection should be applied?? I really wanna discuss this topic 🙂
Bless you all and always be safe!

Well, to expand a little bit: I have worked with plenty of resellers, and I have never had an issue with them reselling my work for a higher fee. They’re welcome to do that. Sometimes they can be a pain to work with as they often have their own client to satisfy, but that is beside the point. I was the one who chose to sell my service at that price and no one else. There is no exploitation going on. As a freelancer, I have the opportunity to change my pricing at will to see if there is a demand for my service at that price point.

Also, I think we would have fewer buyers on the platform if there were to be rules against reselling.

Well, to expand a little bit: I have worked with plenty of resellers, and I have never had an issue with them reselling my work for a higher fee. They’re welcome to do that. Sometimes they can be a pain to work with as they often have their own client to satisfy, but that is beside the point. I was the one who chose to sell my service at that price and no one else. There is no exploitation going on. As a freelancer, I have the opportunity to change my pricing at will to see if there is a demand for my service at that price point.

Also, I think we would have fewer buyers on the platform if there were to be rules against reselling.

Well ok, but did they tell you that they were going to resell your work from the beginning? You started working knowing that your worked was going to be reselled? Cause in my case they did not and I found out from social media. If I knew from the beginning I would not consent neither proceed to work at all, If this tactic on doing things for a purpose like that is ok for someone and consents then probably no problem at all, you have given your permission, but when you don’t consent on that from the beginning an you are actually tricked to believe that this person is the actual buyer then it seems to me more like something that regulations should protect.

Hmm this is why now I charge an extra for commercial right (and if I am not credited as the writer). I personally don’t mind it - it’s just the way life works (and we are getting paid for it even if it’s less money.)
Would I ever do it?
Not necessarily. Too much effort goes into being the middle man (if you do it right). Too risky if you don’t double check what you’re reselling. For me it’s not worth it - but many people know how to make a business of it.

Well ok, but did they tell you that they were going to resell your work from the beginning? You started working knowing that your worked was going to be reselled? Cause in my case they did not and I found out from social media. If I knew from the beginning I would not consent neither proceed to work at all, If this tactic on doing things for a purpose like that is ok for someone and consents then probably no problem at all, you have given your permission, but when you don’t consent on that from the beginning an you are actually tricked to believe that this person is the actual buyer then it seems to me more like something that regulations should protect.

Well ok, but did they tell you that they were going to resell your work from the beginning?

Some did, some did not. Personally, I do not care either way. That is how business works.

If this tactic on doing things for a purpose like that is ok for someone and consents then probably no problem at all, you have given your permission, but when you don’t consent on that from the beginning an you are actually tricked to believe that this person is the actual buyer then it seems to me more like something that regulations should protect.

You don’t need to consent. From the Fiverr ToS:

• When purchasing a Gig, Buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work, unless otherwise specified by the Seller on their Gig page. Note: some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for Commercial Use License. See our “Ownership” and “Commercial Use License” sections below for more information."

You have to specify in your gig that the license you provide when you sell your work does not allow for reselling. Buyers are not mind-readers. They cannot know what you are thinking, and they cannot know that you do not want your work to be resold unless you tell them.

When a customer pays for a service, they now own the rights to your delivery. They can do whatever they want with it, unless you charge additional for commercial rights. If you feel like you’re being exploited, raise your pricing to an amount you’re comfortable working with.

My only problem working with resellers is that it’s sometimes like playing a game of telephone. The client tells them what they want, they rephrase that to me, and then I send them what I interpreted from their communication. Then, when it’s time for revisions, the buyer (who is a reseller) is sending information from their end-client. I prefer to work with the person who is in charge of approving my work, without a middleman.

Well ok, but did they tell you that they were going to resell your work from the beginning?

Some did, some did not. Personally, I do not care either way. That is how business works.

If this tactic on doing things for a purpose like that is ok for someone and consents then probably no problem at all, you have given your permission, but when you don’t consent on that from the beginning an you are actually tricked to believe that this person is the actual buyer then it seems to me more like something that regulations should protect.

You don’t need to consent. From the Fiverr ToS:

• When purchasing a Gig, Buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work, unless otherwise specified by the Seller on their Gig page. Note: some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for Commercial Use License. See our “Ownership” and “Commercial Use License” sections below for more information."

You have to specify in your gig that the license you provide when you sell your work does not allow for reselling. Buyers are not mind-readers. They cannot know what you are thinking, and they cannot know that you do not want your work to be resold unless you tell them.

I will give more attention to this commercial rights thing, take my time to understand exactly the regulations that are bound to it 🙂

When a customer pays for a service, they now own the rights to your delivery. They can do whatever they want with it, unless you charge additional for commercial rights. If you feel like you’re being exploited, raise your pricing to an amount you’re comfortable working with.

My only problem working with resellers is that it’s sometimes like playing a game of telephone. The client tells them what they want, they rephrase that to me, and then I send them what I interpreted from their communication. Then, when it’s time for revisions, the buyer (who is a reseller) is sending information from their end-client. I prefer to work with the person who is in charge of approving my work, without a middleman.

that happened to me also, communication had gaps that had serious impact on my timeline and end quality

Archived