Let me moot an idea that I’m sure would be contrarian and controversial - and not everyones cup of tea. But time and time again, it worked for me and never been more successful, contended and happy.
We all want to maximize our earnings, right? Nothing wrong with that and I was like that too. I was trying to grab maximum number of orders at highest possible price. I was probably working and earning handsomely. But slowly realized, that extra money is not worth all the head thumping. My experience of working suffered and a single minded focus on earnings left me offer sub-par service to my clients. For some reason, it didn’t feel good.
What I realized was: May be it’s better to aim to earn below your potential… and then take the prospect of financial growth to ‘longterm’.
Began working in that direction: Set my sole Gig price to reasonable price of $25. Set the limit orders to just 5! There was significant drop in earnings. But had offset the shortterms losses for longterm growth: Began forwarding a portion of earnings in Mutual funds.
The results were splendid!. Sure, I did find some 25% drop in earnings but found several advantages in trying to earn below your potential.
- More time for relaxation, introspection and quality time with friends and family. A better work-life balance in general.
- Steady business not bumpy. When you are maxing out your resources there is no room to expand in adversity. But played at a more conservative position… you have opportunity to expand/contract in different situations and absorb the bumps along the way.
- Opportunity to offer stellar customer service = fewer but valuable clients = repeat customers = some independence from Fiverr algo. (I can now survive for several months if Fiverr doesn’t show my Gig at all)
- You would actually enjoy work!
- Developes attitude of contentment which helps elsewhere in life.
But, two warnings:
- I didn’t mean you should aim to earn less in life but take the focus of earnings to long period and not fret over daily fluctuations.
- Advice not for newbies! You have enough trouble getting orders already. And also not for anyone who would disagree with the idea because if you disagree, you are probably in a position not suitable to be benefited by it.