Fiverr Community Forum

Excessive revisions

What do you do when you complete a project to the buyer’s requirements but then they change up and want a revision with more complex elements they didn’t originally ask for? Is it logical to worry about your seller rating or cancellation if you ask that they purchase additional revisions or even a new gig?

I completed a project, made minimal revisions based on buyer feedback, but then the buyer made new requests beyond the scope of the original request. I generally offer two free revisions, but this seems to be abusing the system a bit.

3 Likes

I feel you. For me, I go with my gut. I also use the “around 2 revisions” rule. However, I stop if I feel at all that they may be trying to get free work. Sometimes buyers will threaten (and actually leave) a bad rating. It’s a choice if you are scared about your profile taking a hit, or if you stand by your work.

2 Likes

My #1 gig offers 0 revisions. I will only revise if the buyer gives me a good reason, “I don’t like it” isn’t enough.

My other gigs offer one revision, more than one I won’t do.

Just be polite in your reply.

“I’m sorry you didn’t like my work, but I have already given you one revision. My gig doesn’t offer unlimited revisions. Maybe another writer [or whatever you are] can help you.”

I used to write “Good Luck,” but some see that as sarcasm.

It’s important to be strong and show no weakness. Otherwise, you get abusive clients that make you work for much less than you deserve.

7 Likes

A few things come to mind…

You can send a custom extra within the order to cover the additional work, or advise your buyer to place another order with the new requirements. It might be useful to list exactly what the buyer purchased and what his requirements were, what you delivered, and how is the new work outside of the scope of the agreed requirements.

You can also politely remind the buyer that they have checked the little box stating that all the information they gave you is accurate and complete, and that asking you to do more might cost extra.

Another option (or something to combine with the above), is to point out Fiverr;s Terms of Service: "Requesting to gain more services from Sellers beyond the agreed requirements by using the Request Revisions button is not allowed.

Fiverr Customer Support will cancel orders based on, but not limited to, the following reasons:

• Buyers who abuse the Request Revisions button to gain more services from Sellers beyond the agreed requirements.
  • Buyers who threaten to leave a damaging review to gain more services from the seller not related to the agreed requirements."

Unfortunately, the buyer might decide to demand a cancellation or to leave you a bad review if you do any of the above.

6 Likes

I offer 2-3 free revisions (depending on a package) and after they are done I politely remind the client that each additional round costs extra. Funnily enough, they tend to close the order and accept the design after that most of the time. I haven’t gotten a bad review out of it yet.

Some people try to trick me by paying only by the rounds of revisions they deem extensive and skipping the rounds they consider quick and easy but those cases are pretty rare.

I also got accused by intentionally doing a bad job with the revisions to get more paid rounds out of the client once or twice but overall, as long as your gig description is clear enough regarding your revisions policy, it should be fine.

1 Like

I cancelled an order for just this reason this week. Basically, the buyer wanted a $2k gig for $120. What he got was a $300 gig for $120. Not surprised he was disappointed.

But the truth is that those type of buyers are not worth continuing with. You’re either going to get a bad review … or you need to take the hit. I chose to take the hit.

Lesson learned. Should have picked up this was a difficult one when they refused to give information I needed in order to customize the offer.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I have a revision policy posted in the FAQ of all my gigs. It states what my free revisions cover and what they do not. They do not cover revisions based on information that the buyer didn’t provide originally, and they do not cover writing something different if the buyer changes their mind.

1 Like