Fiverr Community Forum

Fake gigs

I have a video editing gig
I decided to look at a few video editing gigs, that are successful
80% of the gigs’ videos I took a look at had the exact same wording in their videos
And I decided to take a closer look at a few gig videos and saw some copyrighted/stolen stuff. For an example, on a Green Screen gig, they used a video that you can find from YouTube when you search for “Green Screen” or "Green Screen tutorial"
So my question is, are they fake gigs or what they are, why are they so similar, up to exact same wording?

1 Like

Hi,

I recently started offering animated video services. The problem is, the best and cheapest software suite I could find to make such videos and have complete re-selling and distribution rights cost me $600. My suspicion, in this case, is that a lot of animated video gigs are actually being set up by people missing the relevant commercial use licences that they really should have for their work.

On the other hand though, you finding a video on youtube might simply mean that the person who uploaded that video originally bought it from Fiverr, or the uploader is the same person as the Fiverr seller. Obviously this won’t be true 100% of the time, but it is entirely possible.

1 Like

HI,

There’s a lot of issues with fake gigs and not just video. Although we limit the video projects we sell on fiverr, other sellers have copied us in the past. So, now when a buyer inquires we provides options rather than advertise them in the description. This way other sellers don’t know what we provide to the buyer and we turned off live portfolio. Sure, this may lose potential buyers, but those who are serious will connect with us. There are others who try to find out information via a secondary account which is against fiverr rules, but it does exist. This is another reason why we limit what we sell and fiverr. It was much better selling on fiverr five years ago.

@edume - Respectfully, this doesn’t seem to answer the original poster’s question or commentary. The OP was asking about why there are “fake gigs” on Fiverr, and why so many video gigs are so similar. You have responded that you yourself do not post fake gigs. Your response doesn’t seem to address the OP’s inquiry.

(FYI: I am merely making an observation, not looking for an argument).

I think a large part of the issue comes from the fact that there are many individuals on Fiverr who do not have strong skills. They see other gigs that look interesting, and think “Hey, I can be just like them. If I copy them, then I’ll be just as successful as those gigs are! I’ll make thousands of dollars off of THEIR idea!”

The truth is, though, that rarely ever happens. It’s the “rule of copycats”, and it applies to almost anything in life. The first person to run with a great idea will usually end up with the success, because their idea is fresh and new. People like fresh and new. But then the “copycats” see the first guy’s success and they want a piece of it too. Lacking originality, they post exact copies of the first guy’s idea, but their copies are not fresh and new. Sure, they might be able to find a few sales, maybe a little bit of attention, but it quickly disappears as people catch on to their strategy.

Trying to copy someone else’s success, by doing the exact same thing that they are, is not a successful strategy. But if someone comes along and sees that first person’s success, and decides to take that idea, and make it into something different – something fresh and new, they are far more likely to see success…

So, when you see a lot of copycat gigs on Fiverr – whether video gigs, or in any other category – you’re probably seeing other sellers that want success by riding on the coattails of someone else. It’s pretty easy to spot the original idea guy, though, because he’s the one with all the orders, reviews, and high Fiverr ratings.

I’m not saying that all who copy are bad sellers, it’s just not a viable seller strategy. Be unique, make your services different than than the competition. Stand out. Buyers like fresh, original, new, and most of all… they like to work with proven successes. Straight-up “copycats” rarely ever achieve these things. But they still seem determined to try.

I will note, though, too, I agree with @cyaxrex, the inability to obtain software or commercial licenses is, no doubt, a contributing factor as well. Sellers of any service, really shouldn’t be offering that service unless they can do so to a high professional level. Buyers expect quality. If a seller cannot offer original quality, perhaps they are better off finding another service that they are more capable of offering.

Interesting to hear this edume … I may have to employ this tactic… For now though I feel I should leave my portfolio on for a bit … Do you think this applies to things like commercials and testimonial gigs too? Or moreso the news broadcaster style stuff that you do?

Well , “are they fake gigs?”

I can tell you that I’ve seen over 8 different accounts that have literally the exact same gig description and video in them. They all have underscores in their name. And some have the same video up on their gig multiple times with a different title. This means at least 15-25 different gigs are floating around that have the exact same cookie cutter video and even GIG DESCRIPTION TEXT in them…

Are they fake? I dont know … but the tickets I sent in must mean they are legit sellers. facepalms

Edume seems to say that his gig was copied … I wonder if it was thrown up on fiverr here on someones account to re-sell his service or what … I’ve seen it done to another seller and they are still in operation doing a sort of cookie cut style video with him in it. And he’s a top rated seller … So it must be okay do to this kind of stuff.

Personally I dont like the idea of it. And by that , I mean flooding the system with too many similar gigs (i.e. cookie cutter videos and exact same videos posted twice) The gig description text copying is going way too far and the underscores in the names should be dead giveaways. But hey look a rainbow.

I have been seeing this everywhere too. It sucks because I have become very suspicious of sellers. What I’m seeing has many parallels to tactics used on other platforms including Instagram and Facebook. And even though I haven’t really heard anyone who has been scammed. The tactic is very off-putting. It goes something like… a friend request, then exchanges a few niceties on messenger and comments on a post and next and almost immediately the guy pitches some graphic services, says no. A few days of silence and then the guy makes the same tactical pitch. After another no, comes the bombardment of friend and follow request from several identical profile offering similar services with a different name. (many possibly filled right here at Fiverr) The whole thing is obviously suspect, you realize that they are preying on the dumbest of the dumbest because it is too obviously suspect… or I get the feeling some one has developed some new and advanced phishing software that swims through the social media water and apparently the gig economy now… Its really the only thing that explains to me how a gig could generate mega great reviews and rating but be horrible and scammy in the marketing side… IDK but I just need a resume done well and the underscore profiles have become so pervasive that I’m very hesitant to spend my money. Fiverr should definitely take that into consideration …

Read their reviews. Are their customers happy? Are they getting complaints that the changes were not made? Are they making sales?

Anyone can copy a gig, what can’t be copied is the quality of the delivery. Americans have an expression, “fake it until you make it,” but that doesn’t work on Fiverr. I can’t fake being a graphic designer if I have no graphic design skills.

2 Likes

This is not unique to Fiverr. Even on app stores developers register with different names and use a different skin to sell the same apps.

It falls in the hands of the buyer to research and find the correct seller. Fiverr can help us by implementing a “Gig created” date. Just a suggestion.