Fake profiles - How to check the sellers country?

Hi,

I recently purchased a gig from a seller who’s profile indicates he’s from USA. I needed a native English speaker for the job. After ordering the gig I felt something familiar about his language usage. So I directly inquired him which country are you from, he replied he’s from Sweden. His gig was delivered late, just before reaching the 24hr extra deadline. And he has sent a message saying that one of his family member was sick. I doubt that to be true. He sounded more like an Indian(No offense intended, I have worked with them). I felt like cheated.

Is there are anyway a buyer can verify the sellers country?

Thanks

@shifan

I’m sorry for your gig mishap.

If it helps, I’m an educated, North American male with over 30 years experience in broadcasting, radio, tv, stage and pro voice over specializing in narrations.

I would be happy to look at your project and see if I can be of any assistance.

I know what you mean… I’ve seen a huge surge of “Americans” with extremely crappy English skills lately. All they did was use a proxy to sign up to fiverr…

Also, the account of a pal of mine from New Jersey says he’s in Germany because he uses TOR to browse and the Node it connected to was in Germany…

That’s why you should always send them a mail beforehand, asking for some sort of reference.

If you’re still looking for a native English speaker I can easily hook you up. Just send me a mail!

shore_marketing said: I know what you mean... I've seen a huge surge of "Americans" with extremely crappy English skills lately. All they did was use a proxy to sign up to fiverr...

It is worse when they sign up using a proxy AND use a fake photograph of a 'hot' female to grab orders ;) Customer Support didn't seem to care!

shore_marketing said: I've seen a huge surge of "Americans" with extremely crappy English skills lately.

Proxies and fake photos, yeah. But, the sad fact is many native-born, native-raised Americans have crappy English/language skills.

The elementary educational system is nearly useless. Combine that with the influence of 'shorthand' and exposure to non-native internet users, one is lucky to find anyone with proper language skills - regardless of where they are located.

Well, being a female myself, I never fall for the hot female photo thing. I’d think guys doing business would be smart enough not to fall for that either.

Plus, since I’ve looked at like 100,000 or more stock photos, I can usually tell if it’s a fake photo.

clubware said: Well, being a female myself, I never fall for the hot female photo thing. I'd think guys doing business would be smart enough not to fall for that either.

Trust me, they aren't. I have had a number of long-term customers say that they would check out the work of one of my competitors just because she was 'pretty'. They always came back to me in the end due to poor quality work, however I lost out on one sale. It makes me wonder just how many other people are deciding to go with somebody due to a picture.

So a picture really is worth a thousand words, or several Gigs.

Gee and all this time I have been missing out because I put my real picture up.

My friend (found under the username kouzlit) created he ‘swedish translation’ gig long after I created mine (although she was going to do the translation for me). The gig text was exactly the same. Within a week I had 1 order. She starts her gig up and uses a photograph of herself…she gets over 20 in 2 weeks! Women sell 0_o

Reply to @itsyourthing: this is not about just English, you know what i mean.

Reply to @ryangillam: So true, I have noted that too.

Reply to @voiceoverwork: Thank you, I will contact you if I need any help in the future.

well, who cares as long as you get quality content delivered to you. Its wrong to assume fake identities just to make a bit of extra money but if you getting the stuff you wanted, i think that should be more than enough. Just my opinion.

Hi,
I am a developer from India. And yes, I once tried to hire someone earlier. I thought he/she was from the USA but someone who hired her/him warned me about this scam.

I strongly recommend fiverr to start a testing process like other freelance website. I would be more than happy to give one. This way, a seller would never be able to cheat the system and even the buyers can figure out if the seller is the real deal or not. I know at least 50 web design gigs that are just phony. They don’t do anything. They install a CMS & a free theme and charge the buyer. That’s unfair.

Let’s just hope that we get some sort of examination system on fiverr by which a buyer’s aptitude is calculated.

same for me… i think i need a make over. or may be i should just upload a different picture :stuck_out_tongue:

yes ,it is true some of person’s using fake location ,fiverr must block these person who are cheater

Considering all of the disadvantages that women generally face, I am happy to see that we appear to be more successful on Fiverr.
And yes, that is my photo you are currently seeing, not one of a woman passing by who I happened to photograph.