Fiverr Community Forum

Fake sailer...all of articles are plagiarism

hi :slight_smile:

All of my gigs from this sailer https://www.fragglesrock.com

I’d like to take this opportunity, as a writer, to express my opinion on what I deem to be “plagiarism.” First, the DNA of the Internet has become one of virtually endless numbers of 500 word articles, give or take. Everyone wants these little nuggets of factoid and opinion, so their otherwise meaningless, driveling website will attract search engines, and bring sales traffic. Yippee! Pennies from heaven. Free money for everyone, and no more bathing in mud puddles and eating out of garbage cans. It’s a dream come true to be able to come to Fiverr and find a “writer” who is going to write “original” content for only $5, and churn out endless articles; which when run through the oracle that is the Internet god’s orifice, Copyscape, comes out clean and pure as angel’s wings. Stop yourself right there for a minute: What are you thinking? If everyone is looking for short articles on all the same old, tired subjects, how much fresh “DNA” do you think is out there? No one sets out to plagiarize. But if someone asked you to write on a subject that you did not know, where would you start? What’s that, did you say the public library? No? OH, GOOGLE, you said, Google. That’s what I thought you said. And what does Google dredge up? The sludge off the bottom of the internet barrel; no, the foam that is the froth from the sludge being stirred up from the bottom. It’s premium latte sludge. So, as a writer, I scoop off a heaping spoonful of frothy, foamy, whipped internet sludge and slap it into a blank Word document, spray it with disinfectant, clean it up a little bit, and then call in Dr. Copyscape. Dr. Copyscape puts his stethoscope to it for a moment, steps back, and says, “Hmm, weak pulse, shallow breathing, but it’s alive!” And I ask how much alive, and Dr. Copyscape says 53% alive, and I say thank God, little Sheba, you’re coming home! And I deliver that cleaned up scum off the top of the internet, and if you complain that it is plagiarism, then go synthesize some new organic molecules for the Internet yourself. But don’t come to Fiverr expecting any more than Dr. Frankenstein. Ya dig? Nah mean? Whachu think, Thing?

I don’t like boats so I’ll keep this limited. You need to remove the link since it is not allowed to call users out on the forums. If you ordered from that person, cancel it. You an report them to Fiverr Customer Support if you wish. There are many original writers on Fiverr.

It is always best to try a $5 gig with a new seller and make sure the content is good. You can get a refund if it’s not. Look for sellers who have writing samples in their gig images or offer ways to see their writing elsewhere. Reviews are good to look at as well but it helps to look for a large number of reviews that have comments besides the generic “Outstanding Experience.”

I think you should communicate with that seller to fix the errors. If he will not respond you then ask refund from him… ( Use Mutual Cancellation ). I believe seller will solve that problem with you…

Best of luck

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Unfortunately, that happens quite a bit when buyers purchase crazy deals like 2 for 1 gigs. Regardless, they advertised plagiarism-free articles and they obviously didn’t deliver. But as other sellers mentioned, there are plenty of writers that offer affordable writing on Fiverr so I’d keep looking. Also, why didn’t you reject the article?

You know the old saying about “too good to be true?” It takes an hour for the average writer to create an average 400 word article. Would YOU work for 3.92 an hour?

Of course, most writers who write for that price hurry through the writing as fast as possible. And the writing shows. One trick here is to take an existing article and spin it with software – which clumsily replaces every few words. Yes, you’re getting an original article…that reads like a monkey wrote it.

1 Like

Reply to @fastadking:

That’s a very good point about not writing for super-low prices but I’d be cautious with the sweeping generalizations about speed. If I know the subject well, I can do 300-400 words in 30 minutes. I’ve had a fair amount of practice writing regularly for one of the content mills and have a really good typing speed. That’s really all. Of course, I only accept $5 writing gigs for subjects I’m very familiar with. Even at two an hour, it’s still below minimum wage.

Still, the seller chose the pricing so delivering plagiarism or spun content is really not excusable.

Reply to @webtelly: Bravo! Bravo, I say! Couldn’t have put it better myself :slight_smile:

Reply to @webtelly:

webtelly said: No one sets out to plagiarize.

I can't agree with you here. There are many gigs on Fiverr that promise original content (or don't) and the people offering them don't think twice about using PLR or copy/paste material. They do set out to plagiarize.

A halfway decent writer does not need to plagiarize to offer quality content at low prices. Speaking for only myself, I don't offer large word quantities for $5 but I do offer a brief original piece of writing that is fine for some blogs. Mine are 100% original. One of the ways I keep them that way is by writing on a topic and then offering a personal story that is related to that topic. My buyers love the articles (usually) because they get a little information that you can find elsewhere but written my way and they get a little creative non-fiction that cannot be found elsewhere and is still on point with keywords. My buyers buy $5 worth and find it real and they often come back for $25 worth or more because it's worth it.

webtelly said: I deliver that cleaned up scum off the top of the internet, and if you complain that it is plagiarism, then go synthesize some new organic molecules for the Internet yourself. But don't come to Fiverr expecting any more than Dr. Frankenstein.

There is zero excuse for those who offer cut/paste copy and claim it is original. Many of them can't write at all, have writing errors all over their gigs and a picture of a pretty girl wearing glasses and sitting at a keyboard. They get sales from other people who don't know or don't care how to get good keyword rich content and in the process they line up a few 5 star reviews. It doesn't take much to spot them and avoid them if the buyer is discerning.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by what you said, but if not, I can't agree.

You did not misunderstand. But certainly you can understand this or a similar scenario: An owner of a site selling a certain product contacts you and asks you to write original content based on your “personal experience.” Well, part of my personal experience is going to be embellished, right? It’s all original, and part of it is fiction, because not all of us have experienced all of everything; but we have imaginations, that’s why they call us writers. So, off you go, writing a couple of sample articles for this buyer, who absolutely loves what they get. They love it so much, that they ignore the fact that you have 24 orders in queue, and they decide to order a multiple of 5 articles, all due on the same day. And the subject of the articles? “News about…” So, you have gone from being a storyteller to being a journalist. You can’t make up news, right? Why would you? I believe that fudging facts is worse than plagiarism. So, where does news come from? The search engines. Can you deny that you would start with a search of “Latest news [my buyer’s all important subject]” And voila, you have an array of fresh article links right in front of you. Now, being a dry and factual subject, it would be virtually impossible within a span of 500 words, not to copy some “facts” whether you physically copied and pasted them or not. You took the time to transcribe and transform them. Good for you, doing the ethical thing! But lo and behold, after doing this for an hour to complete one article, and finding that your next buyer’s gig is due in half an hour, and so on; you decide that there is going to be a full court press of some pretty similar words. And yes, sadly, those 5 articles, all news related to the same pinpoint subject get delivered, and sadly, they all sound pretty much the same, and sadly, your buyer is not intelligent enough to realize what extraordinary pressure that they put another human being under, and sadly they complain that you “plagiarized.” That’s like blaming the dog for eating the steak while you are in the bathroom. So, no, you did not misunderstand; but where the misunderstanding is coming in is assuming that all content is going to be original. If a customer does not specify, “100% original” then there is going to be some conservation of time and effort going on. That is just reality.

report it to customer service.

Reply to @webtelly: I understand what you are saying as well, but it isn’t accurate for how I would handle the situation you describe. I had a recent order where someone specifically wanted me to find related articles to the topic. They paid me extra for research time and it was no problem to work in the content without any plagiarism at all. I wrote my original article and simply quoted parts of the articles they needed with full credit given to the sources. Perhaps shortcuts do work for you and you have lots of sales and good ratings so something works for you and your buyers. We do things differently I suppose and that probably does make me a slower writer and I accept that.

I have time built in to accommodate multiple orders as well. I have had to cancel orders when a family emergency would have caused me to deliver empty or resort to shortcuts, but my regulars just re-ordered when I was free. I still find no excuse for plagiarism and I don’t think a buyer should either. My professors certainly didn’t stand for it in college so perhaps that influenced me. I bet I am not alone in my standards on Fiverr, either, although certainly there are many other sellers who will do whatever it takes to make a fast buck. Buyer beware, but this is also one of the reasons refunds are available.

I’m going to let it go for this thread since it is kind of a tangent now and I’m fine with that. We disagree which happens sometimes on public forums. It has been interesting.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in, because, hey, I can. I first saw this post before the link was removed, and when I went to look at the gig, in this buyer’s review, he left specific links to the articles that the seller had copied. One was a Livestrong article and I don’t remember the other.

Now…of course, from the little bit of information in the OP, it’s not really possible to know whether the seller just copied and pasted the entire article into a word document and delivered it, promising that it was 100% original, or if the article got an 86% original score on copyscape, with some phrases “lifted” from other venues. If the seller promises 100% original work and just sent over something that was 100% copied and pasted from another website, that is plagiarism and isn’t cool.

But, here’s the problem, and I think webtelly already kind of touched on, but that I’m going to take in a different direction: it’s nearly impossible to produce something that is 100% original, depending on what plagiarism checker you’re working with. I can write something entirely organically, without even looking at a website or article, but a “plagiarism checker,” will still tell me that some of the phrases I used also show up on other websites. The fact is that there are only so many ways to construct a sentence. There are only so many original thoughts that can be had about the “importance of marketing,” despite my best efforts to be original.

Again, that’s not to say that its ever okay to just lift someone else’s words and pass them off as your own, but there’s a big difference between doing that and using someone else’s ideas for inspiration or reading a bunch of existing articles as research or having a few phrases that already show up elsewhere on the internet, simply because human language is fairly finite and some checkers are too sensitive.

For example: one checker might read the phrase, “Marketing is important because…” and because that same phrase has probably been used about 100,000 times online already, will mark that section as “unoriginal,” even if no copying, pasting, transcribing, etc. occurred. This might be getting a little esoteric, but my main point is that copying isn’t okay, but just because a checker says that a few generic phrases already exist elsewhere, doesn’t mean that something was plagiarized.

Again, we don’t really know what the situation was with the OP because that information wasn’t provided.

emasonwrites said: The fact is that there are only so many ways to construct a sentence. There are only so many original thoughts that can be had about the "importance of marketing,"
Very much agreed.

It's especially complicated with platforms like Fiverr. It's an international site and a fair amount of what's sold is some semblance of promotional content. Too many languages and too few topics. It can be difficult on both sides of the order.

As a buyer … Do research the seller if you expect certain results.

As a writer … Add citations and references … and write your own work!

Reply to @msmack88:

msmack88 said: As a writer ... Add citations and references ... and write your own work!
Even a thoroughly researched and cited, original document can get caught by software like Copyscape. ;) There are only so many ways to arrange a sentence that conveys a particular message and still reads moderately well - and that's even with grammatical 'liberties'.

Yes itsyourthing, you are totally right. As a Doctoral Learner there are even plagiarist in my level of education, but there is a such thing as original work. Just like each human is different, your writing sets you apart as well. Through years of education, especially in Advanced Learning you learn to combat plagiarism by adding citations and references. Not only that we have access to high quality plagiarism checkers. That is why as a buyer researching your seller is important if you are looking for a certain level quality of work. Of course, there are “professional writers” who do not know technique or ethics, which is why we have to research. All said … I think this is a good conversation to address. :slight_smile:

Reply to @emasonwrites: I agree with you on this point, because having some percentage show up on an automated checker is not the same thing as literally stealing work or running work through an automated spinner. When it comes to niche content this is even more true. My only point in response to @webtelly was that there is no excuse for what is usually defined as plagiarism. Deliberately taking another person’s work and passing it off as yours is not OK. As far as the OP, it looks like they edited their post anyway so I’m not even going to try on that one again. :slight_smile:

Reply to @fonthaunt: We are in agreement! I mean, besides just the ethical and legal implications of copying, it’s just not good for business. It’s not good for the buyer, which makes it really not good for the seller.

I think I was just trying to make it clear to future readers that there’s a difference between just outright copying someone else’s words and having a few instances of organic phrasing that just happens to have already been used elsewhere online. Most writers have probably had to go into the ring with a buyer who’s accused them of plagiarism because they ran the text through one of the more sensitive checkers and discovered that their writer wasn’t able to place every single word in a completely original order, despite the fact that you didn’t actually copy and paste and maybe didn’t even look at any articles or websites for research or inspiration.

msmack88 said: That is why as a buyer researching your seller is important if you are looking for a certain level quality of work.

I just want to point out, that while I agree with @mcmack88 that this is a good conversation, we are talking about Fiverr. A vast majority of the writing gigs are bought by people who aren't concerned with "plagiarism", they're concerned with getting penalized for duplicate content and not being able to use AdSense!

I'd venture to say that buyers looking for quality can recognize it fairly easily here - it gives off a shine instead of a scent. ;)