False accusation of copyright infringement? Help!

I’ve had TWO gigs today (that had been active for weeks at a time prior to this random review, and one of these was my top selling gig) become suddenly denied for copyright infringement. I value my hard work and my integrity very much, so this is a huge accusation to me. The gig that I am most concerned about was an editing gig with 100% positive feedback. I even took the gig picture myself, at home, in my own bedroom. I don’t understand what copyright issues I could have POSSIBLY violated here - and I need to know so I can both get my gig back in working order and avoid accidentally doing it again in the future. Very upset and confused.

Has anyone else had this problem? The fact that I’ve had TWO completely legit gigs get pulled today makes me almost think this has got to be a site glitch or something.

What did Customer Support say about the gig? If the photo is yours and and it’s an editing versus a writing gig, it’s hard to imagine copyright infringement being applicable.

I just had the same thing happen to me. I had a gig denied before it went live, because of the picture, but they just let me edit it. Now, a gig that I’ve had 20+ sales on has been denied. It didn’t even say why it was denied, but it said basically the same thing yours said. I have already contacted customer support about it, hopefully it can get resolved soon.

I’m still waiting to hear back from customer service myself. As much as this sucks, the fact that it’s not just me makes me feel a little better. Maybe we’re the victims of a glitch, or even a moderator having a bad day…?

Are you sure it’s the picture that is causing the issue?

If you got a little too friendly with any published text anywhere on the net, that could have caused the original publisher of the content to find you and issue a DMCA.

Copyscape only requires 4 consecutive words (i.e not much) be the same and it will find most duplicate content anywhere. That’s -one- turn of phrase, and it can even happen unintentionally far more easily than you may realize.

That’s at least another possible explanation; could it be possible in your circumstance?

Not possible at all. Not only have I never written anything even remotely like the things I edit, I haven’t published anything at all since I started editing. Which is why this issue is such a head scratcher for me. It pretty well HAS to be the picture, then, because that’s the only thing in this scenario that I’m claiming is my own content.

oxymoronica said: Not possible at all. Not only have I never written anything even remotely like the things I edit, I haven't published anything at all since I started editing.

brandontvedt said: Copyscape only requires 4 consecutive words (i.e not much) be the same and it will find most duplicate content anywhere.
I think what brandonvedt is saying is that it could only have been a few words strung together in your gig description.

Think what would happen if everyone who's ever riffed on "You've tried the rest, now try the best" suddenly had to pass Copyscape?!?

It could just be a glitch, a grumpy moderator, or just a grumpy fellow seller who's been copied before and saw 'the final straw' in something very similar to their gig wording.

Oh, I thought that meant published content. Is there is a good way to check if my gig description has similar wording to any others? Besides searching through and reading each one by one…

Update: Customer support just reinstated my gigs, no questions asked. I still have no clue what the original problem was in the first place, but I’m happy to see it’s back in working order…

oxymoronica said: Update: Customer Support just reinstated my gigs, no questions asked. I still have no clue what the original problem was in the first place, but I'm happy to see it's back in working order...

Glad to hear it! To answer your question, I don't know of any easier way to check gig descriptions - hopefully you wont need to worry about it though. :)

Reply to @oxymoronica: Happy to hear that although I would have loved an explanation. But they’re back and that’s all that matters! :slight_smile:

I’ve been hit by this copyright infringement! I’ve raised it to support and hopefully it will get resolved. What bugs me is I don’t know what I’ve done and explanation would have helped!