Fiverr Forum

Feeling scammed

hello
after using fivver for first time i found a lot of great seller and great service until today
i bought some source code of android for seller about + 500$
and i found all those code source on public website and selling source code website that i never heard a bout !
i have been charged for every sigle source code about 200$ and guess what i bought 4 source code that total price of them less than 80 $ !
im very dispointed

Sorry this happened to you!

I’m not sure that scammed is the word for what you describe though. If someone buys something for $80 and resells it for more that’s not a scam.

Please contact customer support and report the seller. If you have been scammed, your money will be returned to you.

I tend to agree with @misscrystal here. If the code works then there’s not really a scam; you agreed on a price and got a code that did what you needed it to.

It may even be that they are selling that code over on the other place(s), perhaps more attractively priced for ‘off the shelf’ sales. If that’s the case, then it’s simply a disagreement with pricing. If it’s someone else’s work and it doesn’t have resell rights or something, you might have a case. Perhaps go and message the people on the other sites to find out and recommend that they contact Fiverr to complain about stolen IP or whatever.

The problem is the source code may be copyrighted. If a seller buys/rips source code from the original creator and start selling it on fiverr, it could have legal troubles for the buyers on fiverr.

Yeees, I already dealt with that…

actualy source code i found from diffrent seller on codecanyon and gamegorillaz.com

hello i agree but resells me copyright content i think that’s illegal .

I don’t know how you find if something is copyrighted.

If it is all over the place and many different businesses are using it, then maybe it’s just out there in the public domain. I’m not sure.

let’s check with fiverr support with more details and see what happen !

Even if its available on a million websites, you can’t assume its free/public domain. Someone made it and without clear permission from actual owner you can’t use/sell it. It is illegal, and there can be repercussions.

For example, I made a short video and uploaded it on Youtube 10 years ago. A few days ago I came across someone using this video without my permission, then I started researching and it was all over Youtube. I sent over 40 DMCA takedown requests to Google. All of the videos were deleted in 48 hours. Some of the videos were uploaded over 5 years ago and had thousands of views.

When it comes to copyright DO NOT assume anything.

@nabeel5

How did you prove to Google you owned the right to it?

I provided link to my original video. In this case time stamp was proof enough. They didn’t ask for further proof. But if they had I would have provided. DMCA is a legal notice, there can consequences for sending false notice. You can send counter-notice and in that case the conflict will be settled in court and losing party will pay damages.

According to U.S. law, Google or any company that hosts content and receives DMCA takedown notice will have to act on it. If they ignore it and don’t take down content, they can be sued and end up paying for damages instead of the person uploaded illegal content.

That’s all fine and dandy, but the 2 ifs here are ‘U.S Law’ and 'U.S Based Company.

They can do diddly squat if violation takes place elsewhere.

wrong, US Law doesn’t apply outside the US. DMCA works because many of Google, Youtube and so forth have servers in the US.

People can take your video and use it, fair use, criticism and so forth is allowed.

If the company has their servers in the US, then US laws would apply. doesn’t matter if the company’s HQ is somewhere else.

Wasn’t that obvious?

p.s
Long gone are the days where servers are concentrated in one geographic location.

I might be wrong here, but I’m pretty sure that android source code is open source. In this case, if you have bought the actual android operating source code, your seller hasn’t actually done anything wrong. They have simply taken advantage of the fact that you needed someone to provide a specific piece of code which they have taken the trouble to package and send to you.

On the other hand, if your seller has sold you the code for a patented or copyrighted app, that is illegal.

That said, it costs $2000 to put a provisional patent on an app and most developers don’t bother. This is why at GitHub, you will find loads of open source code to work with.

Anyway, selling something that is open source isn’t illegal. A few years ago someone packaged the open source Ubuntu linux OS into a paid custom themed OS called Pear. Apple Inc then got terrified of the potential popularity of Pear OS and bought the whole operation for an undisclosed amount. Was it fair that the Pear OS people made a small fortune off what was basically open source code? Nope. But it wasn’t illegal either.

I’m gonna make a Linux distro and name it:
:pineapple: pineApple OS :wink: