First Dissatisfied Customer - Advice?

topedits

Hi all! I’ve been enjoying doing small gigs here, writing SEO titles and descriptions for eBay sellers all over the world. Well, today I delivered the work (early) for a seller in the UK. The basic gig is to write and edit one eBay auction listing title and description for $5. For $5 more, I offer to provide the description “in basic HTML code that you can copy and paste into your listing.”

I did several hours of research on and off eBay and delivered the SEO title and description to the best of my ability. Almost immediately, he requested a revision, saying only:

“Looks great thank you. I paid more for a Html design, copying the word document into basic html isn’t what I had in mind.”

Then he posted a second comment: “Not happy one bit, that tittle is trash, my listing is now not even on the first page. What a waste of mone y.”

To which I responded, in part: "I’m very sorry you are disappointed. It appears you misunderstood the gig. The gig specifically stated, ‘I will provide the optimized text in basic HTML code that you can copy and paste into your listing,’ so I’m not sure why ‘basic html isn’t what [you] had in mind.’ I am happy to change anything you like if you can be more specific, but I am not a designer, and design was never stated or implied to be part of this gig.

"I’m also confused by your comment that ‘my listing is now not even on the first page.’ No magic title or text will guarantee placement on the first page of any search engine, including eBay’s Cassini. It takes many factors into consideration. And it takes time for search engines to re-index your listing, so text changes will not impact any search engine instantly.

“If you can be more specific about why you are unhappy with the title and any keywords you want included or left out, again, I will be very happy to rewrite it.”

To which he responded: “Well this is the thing, I was 24th down on the first page, I am not new to this. Your edits put me on the 3rd page. Which is a massive waste of my time and my mone y. The HTML is pointless, I could just copy the word document into eBay and save mone y, seams stupid. The service you have offered me is very disappointing and this will reflect in the feedback.”

So, although he has pasted my work into his auction (it’s live), it looks like I should expect to be blasted from here to Kingdom Come in my feedback here, because of some seriously unrealistic expectations. Any advice? Thanks for reading!

There is not anything more you can do. He may be trying for a refund.

I wouldn’t communicate with someone so hateful and disparaging again. He has no reason at all to be like that.

Sometimes you unfortunately find yourself working for a jerk. We all have them as clients eventually.

When he leaves a review, you can respond that he is using what you delivered in his ebay listing, so he obviously thought it was good.

There is not anything more you can do. He may be trying for a refund.

I wouldn’t communicate with someone so hateful and disparaging again. He has no reason at all to be like that.

Sometimes you unfortunately find yourself working for a jerk. We all have them as clients eventually.

When he leaves a review, you can respond that he is using what you delivered in his ebay listing, so he obviously thought it was good.

Thanks for your reply. I’m not that upset about it and would be willing to refund the whole thing if the consensus here is that I should do so. That’s a good response to possible negative feedback—I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I’m not that upset about it and would be willing to refund the whole thing if the consensus here is that I should do so. That’s a good response to possible negative feedback—I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks!

That’s up to you if you want to do that. So it’s best to be quick about using the resolution center to request a cancellation. Don’t wait, do it now. Once he leaves a review it will be too late.

That’s up to you if you want to do that. So it’s best to be quick about using the resolution center to request a cancellation. Don’t wait, do it now. Once he leaves a review it will be too late.

Do you recommend that I request a cancellation?

I don’t know the details of how Fiverr works. If I request a cancellation, I assume his money is refunded. Will he still be able to leave feedback?

I’d greatly appreciate it if you could explain why I should request a cancellation. Thanks for your help!

Do you recommend that I request a cancellation?

I don’t know the details of how Fiverr works. If I request a cancellation, I assume his money is refunded. Will he still be able to leave feedback?

I’d greatly appreciate it if you could explain why I should request a cancellation. Thanks for your help!

It’s totally your choice. If you don’t want a bad review then yes do it. If you don’t mind if he leaves a bad review and feel he is being unfair then don’t.

He will get a refund if you cancel, which he has to agree to cancel after you request it.

He will not be able to leave a review once he gets a refund. But as I said, if he leaves the review before getting a refund the review cannot be removed, even if he gets a refund, so do it now.

If it’s only $5 then probably you should cancel it and he will get a refund. You won’t be out much money.

It’s totally your choice. If you don’t want a bad review then yes do it. If you don’t mind if he leaves a bad review and feel he is being unfair then don’t.

He will get a refund if you cancel, which he has to agree to cancel after you request it.

He will not be able to leave a review once he gets a refund. But as I said, if he leaves the review before getting a refund the review cannot be removed, even if he gets a refund, so do it now.

If it’s only $5 then probably you should cancel it and he will get a refund. You won’t be out much money.

OK got it. Thanks so much for bearing with me! I believe I will let him write his review, and I can respond as you suggested. If no one else orders a gig from me because of one bad review, then I’ll just get caught up on Law & Order! 😉

OK got it. Thanks so much for bearing with me! I believe I will let him write his review, and I can respond as you suggested. If no one else orders a gig from me because of one bad review, then I’ll just get caught up on Law & Order! 😉

! I believe I will let him write his review, and I can respond as you suggested.

Congratulations for standing up for yourself on principle! It’s what I would have done too. Good decision. You are most welcome!

! I believe I will let him write his review, and I can respond as you suggested.

Congratulations for standing up for yourself on principle! It’s what I would have done too. Good decision. You are most welcome!

His request for a revision is still open. What should I do about that? Can he leave feedback before I deliver the revision? Thanks!!!

His request for a revision is still open. What should I do about that? Can he leave feedback before I deliver the revision? Thanks!!!

I’m not sure if he can or not. I wouldn’t do it, a revision, because he was so mean.

I wouldn’t want to ever communicate with him again. I would deliver the exact same thing again to him and refuse to communicate any further.

I’m not sure if he can or not. I wouldn’t do it, a revision, because he was so mean.

I wouldn’t want to ever communicate with him again. I would deliver the exact same thing again to him and refuse to communicate any further.

Thanks. I do have some ideas for revising the title because he changed it himself (not to what I suggested) which I would be willing to deliver if I should deliver something.

Amazing how he is convinced that my clean, simple HTML code and correctly spelled SEO text—NOT his incorrectly spelled change to the title—drove his listing from the first page in search to the third! 😉

Be that as it may, I think it would be fair to offer him a refund if he removes my code and text from his listing and agrees not to use it in the future. What do you think?

Thanks. I do have some ideas for revising the title because he changed it himself (not to what I suggested) which I would be willing to deliver if I should deliver something.

Amazing how he is convinced that my clean, simple HTML code and correctly spelled SEO text—NOT his incorrectly spelled change to the title—drove his listing from the first page in search to the third! 😉

Be that as it may, I think it would be fair to offer him a refund if he removes my code and text from his listing and agrees not to use it in the future. What do you think?

It’s up to you at this point. I wouldn’t want to interact with him again for any reason but this is up to you.

Agreed. Some sellers are too quick to be bullied and refund. And some buyers are too quick to use this tactic to get free work.

Just refund, then look at your gig description and see if there’s something you can write to avoid orders from buyers like him.

Here’s a few of my disclaimers:

PLEASE NOTE: I don’t design anything, I don’t create pictures for ads

I am not a voice over artist. This gig is for the radio script only.

I DON’T DESIGN T-SHIRTS

I accept Orders 7 Days A Week! You don’t need to ask if I’m available.

They may seem silly, but they have eliminated almost all those “ordered by mistake” orders. Since order completion rate matters, I recommend them.

Just refund, then look at your gig description and see if there’s something you can write to avoid orders from buyers like him.

Here’s a few of my disclaimers:

PLEASE NOTE: I don’t design anything, I don’t create pictures for ads

I am not a voice over artist. This gig is for the radio script only.

I DON’T DESIGN T-SHIRTS

I accept Orders 7 Days A Week! You don’t need to ask if I’m available.

They may seem silly, but they have eliminated almost all those “ordered by mistake” orders. Since order completion rate matters, I recommend them.

Very good suggestion, thanks. I actually did that right away. I tweaked the details of my gig.

This is the first person to misunderstand the service I offer. And I’m not sure it was so much of a misunderstanding as it was a daydream! 😉

Very good suggestion, thanks. I actually did that right away. I tweaked the details of my gig.

This is the first person to misunderstand the service I offer. And I’m not sure it was so much of a misunderstanding as it was a daydream! 😉

I tweaked the details of my gig.

I think @fastcopywriter is absolutely right about disclaiming everything you can. But I suggest you don’t start refunding. First you lose the money for work you did perform, plus you get a reputation as someone who will fold when challenged, so you start doing lots of free work.

If you get a refund from me it is only after an exchange that looks like the fight scene in Kingsman, and I can count on a couple fingers how many have had that honor in recent memory. Yes, sometimes a buyer is so clueless, you want to fire them, but that is another thread.

Please, don’t work for free. In fact the TOS protects you on this. Send them the following from TOS along with your refusal to cancel:

“Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig page. Buyers may rate their experience with the seller on the order page, including the overall level of service quality received.”

I think @fastcopywriter is absolutely right about disclaiming everything you can. But I suggest you don’t start refunding. First you lose the money for work you did perform, plus you get a reputation as someone who will fold when challenged, so you start doing lots of free work.

If you get a refund from me it is only after an exchange that looks like the fight scene in Kingsman, and I can count on a couple fingers how many have had that honor in recent memory. Yes, sometimes a buyer is so clueless, you want to fire them, but that is another thread.

Please, don’t work for free. In fact the TOS protects you on this. Send them the following from TOS along with your refusal to cancel:

“Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig page. Buyers may rate their experience with the seller on the order page, including the overall level of service quality received.”

Thank you for that input. It seems to be the consensus that I should stick with plan A and let him tear me apart if desired.

I’d like to get more perspectives on my question about what to do about his open request for a revision, and can he leave feedback while that request is open? Thanks!

Thank you for that input. It seems to be the consensus that I should stick with plan A and let him tear me apart if desired.

I’d like to get more perspectives on my question about what to do about his open request for a revision, and can he leave feedback while that request is open? Thanks!

I’d like to get more perspectives on my question about what to do about his open request for a revision

I have always responded to that by “delivering” something along the lines of "If you need further revisions, I will be happy to sell them to you, however this order is now complete. Just a reminder that the fiverr TOS says;

If you continue to request revisions without buying them or demanding a cancellation by abusing the “request revisions” button, then I will have to report you to fiverr trust and safety for abuse.

Then “deliver” that to them. If they persist, report them to CS. I have never lost a battle like this.

I’d like to get more perspectives on my question about what to do about his open request for a revision

I have always responded to that by “delivering” something along the lines of "If you need further revisions, I will be happy to sell them to you, however this order is now complete. Just a reminder that the fiverr TOS says;

If you continue to request revisions without buying them or demanding a cancellation by abusing the “request revisions” button, then I will have to report you to fiverr trust and safety for abuse.

Then “deliver” that to them. If they persist, report them to CS. I have never lost a battle like this.

That’s a golden nugget for a newbie like me, thanks! I’m leaning toward delivering him some suggested changes to the title, but will conclude it with, “This order is now complete.”

Does he have to wait until the order is complete to leave feedback, or can he leave it while a revision request is open?

That’s a golden nugget for a newbie like me, thanks! I’m leaning toward delivering him some suggested changes to the title, but will conclude it with, “This order is now complete.”

Does he have to wait until the order is complete to leave feedback, or can he leave it while a revision request is open?

He can’t leave a feedback until you deliver the revision, even tho Mike suggested that you state “This order is now complete.” he might find that harsh and challenging and end up leaving a negative feedback even if the revision was good.

I used to believed in that. One of my gigs even said “satisfaction is not guaranteed,” and what did it get me? My ratings fell, I got demoted. I lost everything I built and hit rock bottom.

Now I have a different attitude. Now client satisfaction is #1, and if I can’t satisfy, I refund.

It’s a math game, 4.8 > 90%. It took me a long time to go from 4.7 to 4.9, ironically, now I’m at 88% so I can’t really afford to refund, but once I’m at 91%+, I’ll be safe. No more demotions, no more loses.

Fiverr wants quality, not quantity. The old model of “get as many orders as possible so you can make as much money as possible” doesn’t work anymore.

I’m just saying Fiverr changed the game and we have no choice but to adapt.

He can’t leave a feedback until you deliver the revision, even tho Mike suggested that you state “This order is now complete.” he might find that harsh and challenging and end up leaving a negative feedback even if the revision was good.

Good to know. I wondered if that was the case, since he sounded like he was so angry that he wanted to blast me right away.

It’s the middle of the night in the UK. Hopefully he will calm down after he’s slept on it.

I used to believed in that. One of my gigs even said “satisfaction is not guaranteed,” and what did it get me? My ratings fell, I got demoted. I lost everything I built and hit rock bottom.

Now I have a different attitude. Now client satisfaction is #1, and if I can’t satisfy, I refund.

It’s a math game, 4.8 > 90%. It took me a long time to go from 4.7 to 4.9, ironically, now I’m at 88% so I can’t really afford to refund, but once I’m at 91%+, I’ll be safe. No more demotions, no more loses.

Fiverr wants quality, not quantity. The old model of “get as many orders as possible so you can make as much money as possible” doesn’t work anymore.

I’m just saying Fiverr changed the game and we have no choice but to adapt.

Yes you always need to check to see if you can afford the ding associated with some actions.

Yes you always need to check to see if you can afford the ding associated with some actions.

That’s the struggle. I have to calculate which action will do the least harm.

Ironically, deleting three problem gigs was a huge relief. No more bad reviews on that front. I’m not happy about the good gigs I had to pause, but at least now I’m selling my absolute best work. If I get promoted next month, I’ll see if I remove the pause from those gigs.

Ironically, deleting three problem gigs was a huge relief. No more bad reviews on that front. I’m not happy about the good gigs I had to pause, but at least now I’m selling my absolute best work. If I get promoted next month, I’ll see if I remove the pause from those gigs.

I hear you 100%. Hope the best for you.

Archived