First Gig - Redoing - Before - After

arthurstrout

Hi all,

Here is my Gig URL:
https://www.fiverr.com/s2/9029916159

I’ve done a lot of reading, observing and thinking about this.

Just “jumped in” to complete my profile at first, without really understanding the process fully.

As is, the Gig has had more impressions than any of my blogs ever did using WordPress. That says a lot for the Fiverr online presence and site search.

I just updated my profile description and researched keywords using the Fiverr Search Tool. I added each letter of the alphabet to the search, recorded all the listings, then alphabetically sorted the list. Fortunately, “license” came up as “Recently Searched”.

"Licensing is in the title of this Gig, so I may just create a new one because we can’t change this, once we save it. At lease that’s my impression from the instructions given in the Gig Creation Wizard.

It seems the other tags can be more related to our Gig Description than the search terms.

So, while I’m working on my process for “delivering the goods”, perhaps you would like to share some thoughts on my profile and my initial Gig creation.

I have Glaucoma, so this process will take me some time, but hopefully the quality will be well worth it.

Direct Messages are welcome.

I’m so impressed with this community already!

Thanks in advance!

Mod Note: URL removed.

Hi all,

Here is my Gig URL:

I’ve done a lot of reading, observing and thinking about this.

Just “jumped in” to complete my profile at first, without really understanding the process fully.

As is, the Gig has had more impressions than any of my blogs ever did using WordPress. That says a lot for the Fiverr online presence and site search.

I just updated my profile description and researched keywords using the Fiverr Search Tool. I added each letter of the alphabet to the search, recorded all the listings, then alphabetically sorted the list. Fortunately, “license” came up as “Recently Searched”.

"Licensing is in the title of this Gig, so I may just create a new one because we can’t change this, once we save it. At lease that’s my impression from the instructions given in the Gig Creation Wizard.

It seems the other tags can be more related to our Gig Description than the search terms.

So, while I’m working on my process for “delivering the goods”, perhaps you would like to share some thoughts on my profile and my initial Gig creation.

I have Glaucoma, so this process will take me some time, but hopefully the quality will be well worth it.

Direct Messages are welcome.

I’m so impressed with this community already!

Thanks in advance!

Mod Note: URL removed.

If you need me to include the link to my Profile and Gig, that’s fine, just ask for it and I’ll post it. I believe it will show up when you click on my picture in the above left corner and then the link to my profile.

It appears that I was mistaken.

Clicking on my picture will not take us out of the forum to our Seller Profile, just our Forum Profile, if you click the user name.

Gig URL:

If you need me to include the link to my Profile and Gig, that’s fine, just ask for it and I’ll post it. I believe it will show up when you click on my picture in the above left corner and then the link to my profile.

It appears that I was mistaken.

Clicking on my picture will not take us out of the forum to our Seller Profile, just our Forum Profile, if you click the user name.

Gig URL:

yes you were wrong, but if you want to include your gig link in the post, why not edit your original post, and leave the link there.

yes you were wrong, but if you want to include your gig link in the post, why not edit your original post, and leave the link there.

Thank you so much!

Please read my edit to see if I’ve done it correctly this time.

I wasn’t aware of being able to edit our topics and replies until you made this suggestion. Don’t you hate it when we look right at something and just don’t see it?

Much appreciated!

Hello,
and welcome to Fiverr 😃

Since I have NO ( and absolutely NONE!!) experience in your field I cannot
give you any helpful advice, but maybe because of that I might be able to give
some ideas/help.
First of all, I am guessing this is because I am an illustrator and I rely a lot on visuals,
I personally think it would help your gig if you make your sample image appear a bit more
colorful, or possible add some images. Right now I see…well, to be honest I’m not really
sure what I am looking at.
Since you can place up to 3 sample images, maybe include an image/chart or some kind of a diagram that shows you what you are going to do?

Also, again this is just me, but I get the feeling if you create a video about you talking a bit about licensing, it might convince the buyers. Something to let the buyers know that you know what you are talking about, and that you have the skills.
I get the feeling that seeing an actual person talking about it using some fancy terminology (if there are any) seems more convincing.

I’m not sure if this is going to help, but I thought it won’t hurt to mention these 🙂

I agree with @zeus777, your gig could use a video to add credibility and explain the service in more detail.
Based on the description it’s not really clear what exactly are you offering.

I would say, think about your ideal customer and what they need. Then write the case study and upload it as a PDF. The description doesn’t really have enough room to explain it. In a decent case study you can explain what was asked, what did you do and what was the value you added.

Hello,

and welcome to Fiverr 😃

some ideas/help.

First of all, I am guessing this is because I am an illustrator and I rely a lot on visuals,

I personally think it would help your gig if you make your sample image appear a bit more

colorful, or possible add some images. Right now I see…well, to be honest I’m not really

sure what I am looking at.

Since you can place up to 3 sample images, maybe include an image/chart or some kind of a diagram that shows you what you are going to do?

Also, again this is just me, but I get the feeling if you create a video about you talking a bit about licensing, it might convince the buyers. Something to let the buyers know that you know what you are talking about, and that you have the skills.

I get the feeling that seeing an actual person talking about it using some fancy terminology (if there are any) seems more convincing.

I’m not sure if this is going to help, but I thought it won’t hurt to mention these 🙂

some ideas/help.

Thank you @zeus777,

Indeed your comments are very helpful! 😀

You are an illustrator and that is a lot of talent that I don’t come close to having.

You are so right about the gig image. I couldn’t continue to create my gig in the tool without uploading “something”. That is my lame attempt to compensate. You’re not alone in the “experience” department.

You have given some wonderful feedback!

Actually, what I’m trying to do is help people connect to the Occupational License official government source in their area. I’m in the process of creating my first working “Basic” document that can be converted to PDF.

It contains screenshots of the authority website page headers, a page title line - with a spelled out web address hyperlink under the screenshot. All alphabetically listed as “Authority Home Page”, “Laws & Rules”, and a lot more appropriate information.

The screenshot I take of that document should look much better. I may have to play with that a bit when uploading the image to the tool. Not close to doing that yet.

It’s funny, I never really considered “licensing” associated with images and offering them, until seeing the gigs on Fiverr.

For my “Standard” and “Premium” offers, I will be creating actual PDFs from the working documents that bring additional detail and value. They will be uploaded for those packages. We are limited to only 2 PDFs.

This is taking me some time, making the “dream” really be created.

You have wonderful insight. I hope you will continue to follow this thread until my “After” is ready to publish and share. Slow going, but I think worth it.

I wish you the best with your endeavors.

I agree with @zeus777, your gig could use a video to add credibility and explain the service in more detail.

I would say, think about your ideal customer and what they need. Then write the case study and upload it as a PDF. The description doesn’t really have enough room to explain it. In a decent case study you can explain what was asked, what did you do and what was the value you added.

You and @zeus777 are so right @uxreview,

I’ve gone into detail in my response to @zeus777, so this reply will be short.

I will absolutely be replacing this gig with one that is much better prepared.

Your insight is very much appreciated!

This is a bit off topic, BUT.

I really, REALLY, want the new sellers to READ this post, and SEE what needs to be
done in order to set up a gig!!!
Arthurstrout here has CLEARLY spent a lot of time putting his gig together, READING/ OBSERVING and THINKING which is something a lot of new sellers are NOT doing.
I read his other post too, and we can tell that he has really put in a decent amount of time, to set things up first, THEN he came to the forum asking for advice, AND he is taking the
advices very seriously!!!

To the new sellers who spent less than an hour setting up a gig and come to the
forum asking for help in less than 5 days, THIS is how you set up a gig!!!

…sorry, I didn’t mean to shout…but well, you know. Ahem.

This is a bit off topic, BUT.

I really, REALLY, want the new sellers to READ this post, and SEE what needs to be

Arthurstrout here has CLEARLY spent a lot of time putting his gig together, READING/ OBSERVING and THINKING which is something a lot of new sellers are NOT doing.

I read his other post too, and we can tell that he has really put in a decent amount of time, to set things up first, THEN he came to the forum asking for advice, AND he is taking the

advices very seriously!!!

To the new sellers who spent less than an hour setting up a gig and come to the

forum asking for help in less than 5 days, THIS is how you set up a gig!!!

…sorry, I didn’t mean to shout…but well, you know. Ahem.

That means a lot to me @zeus777! 😊

I will try very hard to live up to your comments.

I’m going to need time away from my computer this evening and a good deal of tomorrow.

Just so everyone knows. I only have an hour or so today.

I too would add a video to better explain your gig. Also, if I am reading what you offer correctly, you should bump up your minimum asking price to $25-$50. You are offering a lot of research for $5. This could undermine your credibility and leave you open to exploitation.

I would also limit your service to U.S. buyers only. I regularly research similar topics and information for different countries is often outdated. In fact, when you dig a little, you find that a lot of EU based .gov information pages are hashed together copy and paste jobs of UK .gov information pages.

I would also focus more on specific tags and keywords like “Business Advice” and “Licencing” in your gig copy.

I too would add a video to better explain your gig. Also, if I am reading what you offer correctly, you should bump up your minimum asking price to $25-$50. You are offering a lot of research for $5. This could undermine your credibility and leave you open to exploitation.

I would also limit your service to U.S. buyers only. I regularly research similar topics and information for different countries is often outdated. In fact, when you dig a little, you find that a lot of EU based .gov information pages are hashed together copy and paste jobs of UK .gov information pages.

I would also focus more on specific tags and keywords like “Business Advice” and “Licencing” in your gig copy.

I really appreciate sharing your experience with me @uxreview.

I’m going to do PDFs, not video, which I’m not setup for.

Don’t be too concerned with my current gig, because it will be totally replaced when I’m done.

I know you are probably correct that $5 is asking very little. I’m going to double check the forum rules before proceeding with the next phase of my feedback seeking.

I’ve been under the impression that new sellers have to start with the $5 offer. I’m hoping to do a “package”. I’m a bit confused about new sellers being able to offer “packages”, starting out. I’m going to go through the creative process, even if the restrictions stand, until I can prove myself worthy.

My working document for the basic offer is now complete. Next, my process to convert it to PDF format will start. Time is not on my side for this at the moment.

My plan for this thread is as follows, provided the rules will not be broken:

When the PDF is completed, I plan to use an image of it in my basic offer. Glaucoma makes this a challenge for me (another reason for no video).

I would like to first, share the image for feedback.

I also want to offer up my sample basic PDF, which is exactly what my product will be.

In this way, the community can give me feedback, regarding the value of my “basic” offer.

Again, if the rules allow.

This is all an original creation stemming from my experience as a customer service representative.

How interesting, that a lot of the “EU based .gov information pages are hashed together copy and paste jobs”. What a huge problem that must be for you to research!

The U.S. is much better.

I appreciate you sharing this with me!

Have to run now.

Don’t be too concerned with my current gig, because it will be totally replaced when I’m done.

I know you are probably correct that $5 is asking very little. I’m going to double check the forum rules before proceeding with the next phase of my feedback seeking.

I’ve been under the impression that new sellers have to start with the $5 offer. I’m hoping to do a “package”. I’m a bit confused about new sellers being able to offer “packages”, starting out. I’m going to go through the creative process, even if the restrictions stand, until I can prove myself worthy.

My working document for the basic offer is now complete. Next, my process to convert it to PDF format will start. Time is not on my side for this at the moment.

When the PDF is completed, I plan to use an image of it in my basic offer. Glaucoma makes this a challenge for me (another reason for no video).

I also want to offer up my sample basic PDF, which is exactly what my product will be.

In this way, the community can give me feedback, regarding the value of my “basic” offer.

This is all an original creation stemming from my experience as a customer service representative.

How interesting, that a lot of the “EU based .gov information pages are hashed together copy and paste jobs”. What a huge problem that must be for you to research!

The U.S. is much better.

Have to run now.

I’ve been under the impression that new sellers have to start with the $5 offer. I’m hoping to do a “package”. I’m a bit confused about new sellers being able to offer “packages”, starting out.

Hi @arthurstrout,

I’m also a new seller (just a few months older than you 😉) and I have package in both of my gigs.

I don’t know how it works in yout sub-category - mine is Proofreading & Translation - but, from a general point of view, your basic $5 should be that, basic. Meaning something simple, quick, easy; that won’t consume more than 1 or 2 hours of your precious time - the less, the better.

I don’t know anything about your field but maybe some kind of consulting before proper ordering could be your basic $5.

Don’t be afraid of doing things, you can always make the changes that you consider will be best to make your gigs work. Refinement is part of the process and only can be achievied through trial and error.

Best of lucks! 😊

The U.S. is much better.

Have to run now.

Hi All,

I only have a short time at my computer today, so I’ll get right to it.

If my understanding of the rules is correct and I’m only looking for feedback, providing you with the image intended to be presented on my basic gig offer is allowed. I believe that providing a PDF sample that would be my delivered product for your review and pricing suggestions is also allowed.

Please review this image for it’s product sample value:

1535501050_AccountancyMaineBasicReferencePDFScreenshot.png.43132cf8e52428ae08ae6f1f318a9ce2.png

“PDF is not an authorized file type” - is the jest of the error message we get when trying to upload a PDF here.

So, how about anyone who wants to check out the PDF can ask me in this thread or direct message me. Perhaps we will have better luck.

As a novice, my comfort zone is $5, but this does take me a bit of time.

Because Glaucoma causes me to need more time for projects, I plan to include the following in my gig descriptions for clarifying why I require a 2 day delivery time , but may deliver ahead of that schedule.

Completion Time Note:

I am a perfectionist with attention to detail. I have Glaucoma, requiring me to “work at the speed of my eyes”. I allow myself extra time for “bad eye days”. On “good days”, delivery will be quicker than estimated.”

I’m looking forward to your feedback and suggestions. You have already provided me with some valuable insights, for which I’m extremely grateful!

I’ll be back tomorrow, have a great day.

Hi All,

I only have a short time at my computer today, so I’ll get right to it.

If my understanding of the rules is correct and I’m only looking for feedback, providing you with the image intended to be presented on my basic gig offer is allowed. I believe that providing a PDF sample that would be my delivered product for your review and pricing suggestions is also allowed.

Please review this image for it’s product sample value:

“PDF is not an authorized file type” - is the jest of the error message we get when trying to upload a PDF here.

So, how about anyone who wants to check out the PDF can ask me in this thread or direct message me. Perhaps we will have better luck.

As a novice, my comfort zone is $5, but this does take me a bit of time.

Because Glaucoma causes me to need more time for projects, I plan to include the following in my gig descriptions for clarifying why I require a 2 day delivery time , but may deliver ahead of that schedule.

Completion Time Note:

I am a perfectionist with attention to detail. I have Glaucoma, requiring me to “work at the speed of my eyes”. I allow myself extra time for “bad eye days”. On “good days”, delivery will be quicker than estimated.”

I’m looking forward to your feedback and suggestions. You have already provided me with some valuable insights, for which I’m extremely grateful!

I’ll be back tomorrow, have a great day.

I’m less than 4 ceros to the left but I hope you can get the idea 🙂

PACKAGE

Basic $5:

Pre-made guideline in PDF (This pdf file will be the delivery on your $5 gig for everyone, don’t give it as a sample). You can set 1-day or 2-day delivery time (whatever you feel more comfortable with considering your health condition).

Along with this pdf, you can add some very basic “live” consulting through the order page to guide your buyer (little time consuming). See yourself as a lawyer/doctor hearing out your client/patient for the first time.

No research, no links, no contact information, no detailed or specific requirements. Just pure and simple general guideline that would suit everybody. In such a bureaucracy, people really need someone to put them on track knowing where to start from, what to do in general terms, why they need it, etc.

I took the items from your gig description just as an example of how your pdf could look. In each item you can give a breif general description of whatever important content you think must be known and handled (what, why, for what, where, how, general requierments).

Example for your PDF $5 Gig:

GUIDELINES TO YOUR LICENSING AND REGISTRATION QUESTIONS

Licensing and Registration (General)

Types of Licensing and Registration

• Professional and Business Licensing

• State Licensing and Registration

• Licenses, Permits and Certificates of Registration

• Occupational Licensing

• Commercial Licensing

Standard $XX:

Here is where specific reasearch comes into play. You’re the expert, you know how much or how little information you need to give your buyer for what you’re charging and the time that will take you to provide it.

This will take you time, so set your delivery in order that you are really sure you can accomplish. If it needs to be 5 days, be it! The important thing is to build confidence in buyers, and the only way of doing it, is assuring them with your actions.

Never promise what you can’t and always keep in mind: that who can the most, can the least.

Premium $XX: The same as above but upgraded. You can also add that “special something” that can make (potential) buyers prefer to purchase your Premium package.

Sorry for such a loooooong post :frowning_face:

I’m less than 4 ceros to the left but I hope you can get the idea 🙂

PACKAGE

Basic $5:

Pre-made guideline in PDF (This pdf file will be the delivery on your $5 gig for everyone, don’t give it as a sample). You can set 1-day or 2-day delivery time (whatever you feel more comfortable with considering your health condition).

Along with this pdf, you can add some very basic “live” consulting through the order page to guide your buyer (little time consuming). See yourself as a lawyer/doctor hearing out your client/patient for the first time.

No research, no links, no contact information, no detailed or specific requirements. Just pure and simple general guideline that would suit everybody. In such a bureaucracy, people really need someone to put them on track knowing where to start from, what to do in general terms, why they need it, etc.

I took the items from your gig description just as an example of how your pdf could look. In each item you can give a breif general description of whatever important content you think must be known and handled (what, why, for what, where, how, general requierments).

Example for your PDF $5 Gig:

GUIDELINES TO YOUR LICENSING AND REGISTRATION QUESTIONS

Licensing and Registration (General)

Types of Licensing and Registration

• Professional and Business Licensing

• State Licensing and Registration

• Licenses, Permits and Certificates of Registration

• Occupational Licensing

• Commercial Licensing

Standard $XX:

Here is where specific reasearch comes into play. You’re the expert, you know how much or how little information you need to give your buyer for what you’re charging and the time that will take you to provide it.

This will take you time, so set your delivery in order that you are really sure you can accomplish. If it needs to be 5 days, be it! The important thing is to build confidence in buyers, and the only way of doing it, is assuring them with your actions.

Never promise what you can’t and always keep in mind: that who can the most, can the least.

Premium $XX: The same as above but upgraded. You can also add that “special something” that can make (potential) buyers prefer to purchase your Premium package.

Thank you for the details @maitasun, 🤨

You give a lot of solid advice in those details. The value/price balance formula is one of those issues that is difficult to decide on without getting some feedback. I can’t get this kind of knowledgeable insight from the people around me. This is so much appreciated!

Adding an offer for “basic live consulting through the order page” is a great idea. A great introduction, while meeting a potential buyer, and the chance to do the basic lookup to actually evaluate the source information.

I’m not really setup privately for “Live consulting”. An initial consultation is intended by messaging, in order for me to learn exactly what the potential buyer’s needs are, before accepting the job.

The messages will make a great backup record, should a buyer claim that I haven’t answered the questions or met the need in the final product. Nice to know my thoughts are on the right track.

I like how you have broken down the different packages with your suggestions!

Pre-made guideline in PDF (This pdf file will be the delivery on your $5 gig for everyone, don’t give it as a sample).

No worries about providing a sample PDF with the basic package. Only the sample image will be presented. I plan to provide the appropriate sample PDF on my Standard and Premium Packages, but Fiverr provides a watermark on those samples.

A “worksaver” note:

Once created, a Reference PDF, can be redelivered to another buyer who needs the same information, without having to go through the research/creation process again. I will just have to check to make sure it doesn’t need updating before delivery. So long as the product meets the need it should be fine.

The sample(s) offered in this thread are for evaluation and feedback. If someone reading this thread, happens to need the information presented in the sample PDF, available by messaging me, that’s no problem and thanks for your interest. Your feedback is appreciated!

Where is the value without the PDF? I agree that there is some.

In my mind, the PDF is my way to “overdeliver”.

Perhaps, another approach would be to offer to answer a limited number of questions, providing the answers with the PDF. Each package upgrade could then include an increased number of questions.

Limiting the number of questions that can be answered, may well be how I should be considering the value/price structure. If that becomes what I’ll do, the current “Basic” example would have to be shortened a bit, depending on the number of questions are answered for the basic $5.

You really have given me some really good “food for thought” @maitasun!

Much appreciated!

Needed a bit more rest than expected.

Although I didn’t use the “out of office” feature on my current, non-selling gig, it will definitely be a good idea in the future.

I’ve been giving the sample image for the “Basic” offer some thought.

I believe the last image could stand to be smaller, to capture a bit more detail.

To make a comparison easy, I’ll include both images together here.

Here is the first image:

281367027_AccountancyMaineBasicReferencePDFScreenshot.png.775eac4b671e52839a7a6462af57e336.png

Here is the latest version:

494300391_Accountancy-MaineBasicReferenceScreenshot2.png.9d274021cb5e86f673e9b72d20e03361.png

Feel free to message me for the sample of the finished product PDF.

Your input is much appreciate!

Needed a bit more rest than expected.

Although I didn’t use the “out of office” feature on my current, non-selling gig, it will definitely be a good idea in the future.

I’ve been giving the sample image for the “Basic” offer some thought.

I believe the last image could stand to be smaller, to capture a bit more detail.

To make a comparison easy, I’ll include both images together here.

Here is the first image:

Here is the latest version:

Feel free to message me for the sample of the finished product PDF.

I’d also contact the website you have the screen shot(s) of to ensure you have the relevant permission to include it (and any photos it includes) in your deliveries. Without permission it might be best to not show the photo/website/not deliver files containing it but just give instructions on what to do on that site. Unless you are sure it’s covered by fair use (though even then I’d not show the photo within the site eg. of the lighthouse as that doesn’t seem to be within their photo use policy).

Thank you for the details @maitasun, 🤨

You give a lot of solid advice in those details. The value/price balance formula is one of those issues that is difficult to decide on without getting some feedback. I can’t get this kind of knowledgeable insight from the people around me. This is so much appreciated!

Adding an offer for “basic live consulting through the order page” is a great idea. A great introduction, while meeting a potential buyer, and the chance to do the basic lookup to actually evaluate the source information.

I’m not really setup privately for “Live consulting”. An initial consultation is intended by messaging, in order for me to learn exactly what the potential buyer’s needs are, before accepting the job.

The messages will make a great backup record, should a buyer claim that I haven’t answered the questions or met the need in the final product. Nice to know my thoughts are on the right track.

I like how you have broken down the different packages with your suggestions!

Pre-made guideline in PDF (This pdf file will be the delivery on your $5 gig for everyone, don’t give it as a sample).

No worries about providing a sample PDF with the basic package. Only the sample image will be presented. I plan to provide the appropriate sample PDF on my Standard and Premium Packages, but Fiverr provides a watermark on those samples.

A “worksaver” note:

Once created, a Reference PDF, can be redelivered to another buyer who needs the same information, without having to go through the research/creation process again. I will just have to check to make sure it doesn’t need updating before delivery. So long as the product meets the need it should be fine.

The sample(s) offered in this thread are for evaluation and feedback. If someone reading this thread, happens to need the information presented in the sample PDF, available by messaging me, that’s no problem and thanks for your interest. Your feedback is appreciated!

Where is the value without the PDF? I agree that there is some.

In my mind, the PDF is my way to “overdeliver”.

Perhaps, another approach would be to offer to answer a limited number of questions, providing the answers with the PDF. Each package upgrade could then include an increased number of questions.

Limiting the number of questions that can be answered, may well be how I should be considering the value/price structure. If that becomes what I’ll do, the current “Basic” example would have to be shortened a bit, depending on the number of questions are answered for the basic $5.

You really have given me some really good “food for thought” @maitasun!

Much appreciated!

I’m not really setup privately for “Live consulting” (…omissis…) The messages will make a great backup record, should a buyer claim that I haven’t answered the questions or met the need in the final product. Nice to know my thoughts are on the right track.

You’re right, sorry I couldn’t make myself understand.

When I said “live” consulting through the order page was, in fact, intended to be a written live one not a face to face live. For the latter, you need permission from Fiverr.

You see? Ideas start to arise and the world is brighter! 😃

That’s great! You’re starting tp provide answers to your own needs 🌟

You’re most welcome! I’m very happy to have been able to help you in finding ideas 😊

Sometimes all we need is just a little push 😉

I’m not really setup privately for “Live consulting” (…omissis…) The messages will make a great backup record, should a buyer claim that I haven’t answered the questions or met the need in the final product. Nice to know my thoughts are on the right track.

You’re right, sorry I couldn’t make myself understand.

When I said “live” consulting through the order page was, in fact, intended to be a written live one not a face to face live. For the latter, you need permission from Fiverr.

You see? Ideas start to arise and the world is brighter! 😃

That’s great! You’re starting tp provide answers to your own needs 🌟

You’re most welcome! I’m very happy to have been able to help you in finding ideas 😊

You bet we do @maitasun!

I’d also contact the website you have the screen shot(s) of to ensure you have the relevant permission to include it (and any photos it includes) in your deliveries. Without permission it might be best to not show the photo/website/not deliver files containing it but just give instructions on what to do on that site. Unless you are sure it’s covered by fair use (though even then I’d not show the photo within the site eg. of the lighthouse as that doesn’t seem to be within their photo use policy).

Without permission it might be best to not show the photo/website/not deliver files containing it but just give instructions on what to do on that site. Unless you are sure it’s covered by fair use (though even then I’d not show the photo within the site eg. of the lighthouse as that doesn’t seem to be within their photo use policy).

Good point @uk1000!

Time to stop and do a bit more research on that point.

My thoughts (until now):

Since the source websites are (mostly) government sites that serve the public, providing a screenshot, with an identifying description should not be a problem. They are not being “sold”, simply used for reference (and security) reasons. At the end of each PDF, including the available sample, are/will be two (2) paragraphs. I’ll include them here for your review:

BEGIN QUOTE

A Security Double Check

Screenshots are provided to help you confirm that the links take you to the expected destination.

The descriptive line and visible URL help to serve as a layer of security. In most cases. The first part of the descriptive line will be the title of the webpage that the URL takes you to.

The visible URL should match the one that displays in your web browser’s address bar, when the link is selected.

In this way you are assured of a way to double check and verify that the destination you have arrived at is correct.

Disclaimer

This PDF reference has no connection in any way to the website administration. All content referenced in this index belongs to the source destination linked to by the hyperlinks.

Payment to me is for my services, researching and creating this reference guide for your individual and private use.

This PDF is for private use only. Not for Commercial Use.

No attempt is made to interpret the source information. I recommend that you contact the website administration with questions.

Arthur Strout

END QUOTE

I’ve tried to contact the webmasters of government sites to ask for permission. It is yet another case of many agencies and playing a “who’s who”, trying to learn the correct person to ask. Most of the time a response just doesn’t happen.

So, what is covered by “fair use” and can/should screenshots be used as part of reference material?

This is an important question that deserves to be researched and answered correctly for everyone using screenshots of websites.

Let’s see what I can find out shall we?

Without permission it might be best to not show the photo/website/not deliver files containing it but just give instructions on what to do on that site. Unless you are sure it’s covered by fair use (though even then I’d not show the photo within the site eg. of the lighthouse as that doesn’t seem to be within their photo use policy).

Good point @uk1000!

Time to stop and do a bit more research on that point.

My thoughts (until now):

Since the source websites are (mostly) government sites that serve the public, providing a screenshot, with an identifying description should not be a problem. They are not being “sold”, simply used for reference (and security) reasons. At the end of each PDF, including the available sample, are/will be two (2) paragraphs. I’ll include them here for your review:

BEGIN QUOTE

A Security Double Check

Screenshots are provided to help you confirm that the links take you to the expected destination.

The descriptive line and visible URL help to serve as a layer of security. In most cases. The first part of the descriptive line will be the title of the webpage that the URL takes you to.

The visible URL should match the one that displays in your web browser’s address bar, when the link is selected.

In this way you are assured of a way to double check and verify that the destination you have arrived at is correct.

Disclaimer

This PDF reference has no connection in any way to the website administration. All content referenced in this index belongs to the source destination linked to by the hyperlinks.

Payment to me is for my services, researching and creating this reference guide for your individual and private use.

This PDF is for private use only. Not for Commercial Use.

No attempt is made to interpret the source information. I recommend that you contact the website administration with questions.

Arthur Strout

END QUOTE

I’ve tried to contact the webmasters of government sites to ask for permission. It is yet another case of many agencies and playing a “who’s who”, trying to learn the correct person to ask. Most of the time a response just doesn’t happen.

So, what is covered by “fair use” and can/should screenshots be used as part of reference material?

This is an important question that deserves to be researched and answered correctly for everyone using screenshots of websites.

Let’s see what I can find out shall we?

Some interesting court cases:

I found these court cases on the U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use Index. I’ll link to them under the two (2) cases listed below:

This case is interesting for us because it involves a photograph that the USPS paid Getty Images a license fee to use. - The use of the photograph was determined as “not fair”. You can read the details.

Case PDF:

Davidson v. United States No. 13-942C (Fed. Cl. June 29, 2018) (PDF) - https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/summaries/davidson-united-states-no.13-942c.pdf

This case is about the use of a photograph by a film festival organizer.

The court called this “fair use”, because the “purpose in using the photograph was informational”. The use was described as “transformative and non-commercial”.

Case PDF:

Russell Brammer v. Violent Hues Productions, LLC No. 1-17-cv-01009 (E.D. Va. June 11, 2018) - https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/summaries/russellbrammer-violenthuesllc-4thcir2018.pdf

There are tons of cases to look at in the index. I’m going to leave it up to you to check them out. You’ll have to scroll down the page.

Sources:

Here is a link to the webpage with a list of court cases: https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/fair-index.html

U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use Index - https://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

A Slippery Slope:

All of the court cases found in the search results above are “individual judgements”. There doesn’t seem to be anything to support a solid clear cut answer to the question conclusively.

The source listed below helps clarify why we need to be cautious about this.

I quote:

“Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes:”

“Courts evaluate fair use claims on a case-by-case basis, and the outcome of any given case depends on a fact-specific inquiry.”

Source:

More Information on Fair Use - Copyright.gov - https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

@uk1000 is giving advice that we all really need to pay attention to.

It seems that the interpretation of my use of the screenshots is the big issue here.

My intended use is to help the user of the reference guide feel safe and not a victim of phishing.

However, I intend to sell the product that uses the screenshots, it could be interpreted as “commercial use”.

Thanks again @uk1000!

So, now what?

@maitasun has made a really helpful suggestion.

OK, I can still provide a PDS with the resources that enable the buyer to go through the process of getting an Occupational License.

The screenshots brought a lot of “visual value” to the product.

What can I do differently to make up for this?

I’ll work on a new image for the “Basic” offer tomorrow.

Anyone have a suggestion on what could help add to the “visual value” of these PDFs?

I have one idea starting to form.

This may be a bit disappointing for me, but I’m also very happy to have all your wonderful thoughts and suggestions.

Please don’t be afraid to leave “tough to take” comments and suggestions.

I’m not easily offended, am trying to grow in this enough to supplement my retirement and really need to see things through some else’s eyes, who has better insight than I do.

Be back when tomorrow is today.

Some interesting court cases:

I found these court cases on the U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use Index. I’ll link to them under the two (2) cases listed below:

This case is interesting for us because it involves a photograph that the USPS paid Getty Images a license fee to use. - The use of the photograph was determined as “not fair”. You can read the details.

Case PDF:

Davidson v. United States No. 13-942C (Fed. Cl. June 29, 2018) (PDF) - https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/summaries/davidson-united-states-no.13-942c.pdf

This case is about the use of a photograph by a film festival organizer.

The court called this “fair use”, because the “purpose in using the photograph was informational”. The use was described as “transformative and non-commercial”.

Case PDF:

Russell Brammer v. Violent Hues Productions, LLC No. 1-17-cv-01009 (E.D. Va. June 11, 2018) - https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/summaries/russellbrammer-violenthuesllc-4thcir2018.pdf

There are tons of cases to look at in the index. I’m going to leave it up to you to check them out. You’ll have to scroll down the page.

Sources:

Here is a link to the webpage with a list of court cases: https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/fair-index.html

U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use Index - https://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

A Slippery Slope:

All of the court cases found in the search results above are “individual judgements”. There doesn’t seem to be anything to support a solid clear cut answer to the question conclusively.

The source listed below helps clarify why we need to be cautious about this.

I quote:

“Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes:”

“Courts evaluate fair use claims on a case-by-case basis, and the outcome of any given case depends on a fact-specific inquiry.”

Source:

More Information on Fair Use - Copyright.gov - https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

@uk1000 is giving advice that we all really need to pay attention to.

It seems that the interpretation of my use of the screenshots is the big issue here.

My intended use is to help the user of the reference guide feel safe and not a victim of phishing.

However, I intend to sell the product that uses the screenshots, it could be interpreted as “commercial use”.

Thanks again @uk1000!

So, now what?

@maitasun has made a really helpful suggestion.

OK, I can still provide a PDS with the resources that enable the buyer to go through the process of getting an Occupational License.

The screenshots brought a lot of “visual value” to the product.

What can I do differently to make up for this?

I’ll work on a new image for the “Basic” offer tomorrow.

Anyone have a suggestion on what could help add to the “visual value” of these PDFs?

I have one idea starting to form.

This may be a bit disappointing for me, but I’m also very happy to have all your wonderful thoughts and suggestions.

I’m not easily offended, am trying to grow in this enough to supplement my retirement and really need to see things through some else’s eyes, who has better insight than I do.

Be back when tomorrow is today.

I’m not easily offended

Okkayyyy… Since you gave the go-ahead 😉 I am sorry if this comes across as being harsh but I think the gig image of yours is very… uhmm… what’s the word… drab/bland… It could be a lot better… It could be a lot more appealing.

This is what I see as your gig image right now-

image.png_fixed.jpeg.afa95bc9a3028b598266b44e86f3c2c2.jpeg

I don’t think you need to mention “administrative authority website home page”. I don’t think it adds any value to your gig image. You need to make it more interesting and colorful… with lesser text in it.

Add a splash of color. If you were to make a very simple gig image of your own… something simple… something colorful… could even be created on MS Paint or some other simple software… I think it would be much better and much more appealing.

Instead of just writing “contact information” followed by a list of very obvious contact detail types such as e-mail, phone number, etc… and a big ol’ heading saying “licensing requirements” followed by a totally random www… (why is there a www… below each heading? It doesn’t make sense to me… If there is something I am missing, maybe you could enlighten me) you could just have a big heading wich says services I provide followed by a list of all the services you provide (in just 2 or 3 words as sub-headings… not more) or I will take care of all your licensing needs… or something like that… You feel me?

I’d suggest that you spend a good amount of time just randomly perusing through gig images of level 2 and TRS sellers on the Fiverr website to get an idea of a gig image. Just try to soak in the various elements that make their gig images appealing and try to bring those elements to your gig image (just get inspiration… I am not telling you to copy stuff from other sellers 😜 ) and make them pop/shine through. If you look at at the gig images of successful sellers, you will realize how interesting and engaging they are to look at… and about how they are able to convey a lot of information visually and graphically… with only a few words used in their gig images (some with less than 5 words in their gig image).

I would also recommend that you go through this again (even if you have already read this before, I’d suggest that you do so again. Thanks!)-

https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/gig-images-dos-and-donts

I TOTALLY understand that your niche is something very unique and quite unlike the other gigs out there… But still, I think having a gig image with so much text and the random “www…” in it makes it rather unappealing. There are some elements to your gig image which I don’t think need to be there. I might be wrong… If so, please don’t mind me. You can correct me.

I APOLOGIZE if I came across as being rude – or harsh – or even annoying… That was not my intention at all…

I am… you know… just trying to help 😊

Regards,

AJ (hanshuber16).

I’m not easily offended

Okkayyyy… Since you gave the go-ahead 😉 I am sorry if this comes across as being harsh but I think the gig image of yours is very… uhmm… what’s the word… drab/bland… It could be a lot better… It could be a lot more appealing.

This is what I see as your gig image right now-

I don’t think you need to mention “administrative authority website home page”. I don’t think it adds any value to your gig image. You need to make it more interesting and colorful… with lesser text in it.

Add a splash of color. If you were to make a very simple gig image of your own… something simple… something colorful… could even be created on MS Paint or some other simple software… I think it would be much better and much more appealing.

Instead of just writing “contact information” followed by a list of very obvious contact detail types such as e-mail, phone number, etc… and a big ol’ heading saying “licensing requirements” followed by a totally random www… (why is there a www… below each heading? It doesn’t make sense to me… If there is something I am missing, maybe you could enlighten me) you could just have a big heading wich says services I provide followed by a list of all the services you provide (in just 2 or 3 words as sub-headings… not more) or I will take care of all your licensing needs… or something like that… You feel me?

I’d suggest that you spend a good amount of time just randomly perusing through gig images of level 2 and TRS sellers on the Fiverr website to get an idea of a gig image. Just try to soak in the various elements that make their gig images appealing and try to bring those elements to your gig image (just get inspiration… I am not telling you to copy stuff from other sellers 😜 ) and make them pop/shine through. If you look at at the gig images of successful sellers, you will realize how interesting and engaging they are to look at… and about how they are able to convey a lot of information visually and graphically… with only a few words used in their gig images (some with less than 5 words in their gig image).

I would also recommend that you go through this again (even if you have already read this before, I’d suggest that you do so again. Thanks!)-

I TOTALLY understand that your niche is something very unique and quite unlike the other gigs out there… But still, I think having a gig image with so much text and the random “www…” in it makes it rather unappealing. There are some elements to your gig image which I don’t think need to be there. I might be wrong… If so, please don’t mind me. You can correct me.

I APOLOGIZE if I came across as being rude – or harsh – or even annoying… That was not my intention at all…

I am… you know… just trying to help 😊

Regards,

AJ (hanshuber16).

uhmm… what’s the word… drab/bland… It could be a lot better… It could be a lot more appealing.

Welcome @hanshuber16!

I’ve been hoping to see you here.

You are so right about the image on the current gig. That gig will go away, to be replaced by a gig that I’m working out here. We can definitely explore your comments.

This is my greatest struggling point.

I never had much talent in this area, even before the Glaucoma. Pictures are often “lost” on me. I just can’t see the details like everyone else. A big, tall, wide and thick wall.

Screenshots add value, helping to give a “preview” of the link destination.

@uk1000 brought up copyright concerns, using screenshots of websites. You can read the conversation about that above.

You can also scroll up to see my latest image examples.

I agree with you that ‘to mention ‘administrative authority website home page”’ … doesn’t add value to the gig image. That is vitally important information for the buyer and the core source for the rest of the information.

Not very pretty “eye candy” though.

“Plain Text” isn’t very colorful or interesting, but it is “what I do”.

No excuses here, I really need to get past this issue if I’m to have success here.

I’m very color blind and it is getting worse. I can hardly make out shade differences of color at all. I can make images larger or smaller and add text to them, using MS Paint (old version). Windows 10 now has Paint 3D. I’m totally lost with that.

you could just have a big heading wich says services I provide followed by a list of all the services you provide (in just 2 or 3 words as sub-headings… not more) or I will take care of all your licensing needs … or something like that… You feel me?

That sounds great for my Gig Description. That could really be an improvement to what I’ve been thinking of for one. This is a lot more helpful than harsh.

If you look at at the gig images of successful sellers, you will realize how interesting and engaging they are to look at

Honestly, I look at them with wonder. You are all so talented!

I do like a clipart site that offers free clipart we are allowed to modify and use commercially. I’ve used some of their images in the past. The choices can be a bit limiting though. It is easy enough to do a Google search for image sites.

I don’t know how to get past my eyes in order to recognize a quality image from one that is crap.

I just went back to re-read the “Gig Images: Do’s and Don’ts” article.

Under “Quality” it talks about not using pixelated images. I honestly can’t tell the difference between the examples.

Under “Text”, the images are obvious enough. I need to work out how to find an appropriate image for the content of the PDF. The Fiverr standards are very high, I respect and understand the concept.

Under “Proportions” they recommend an image size of “at least 690 x 426px”. That’s good to know.

The “Relevance” topic in the article pretty much explains why I’ve been trying to use an image of the actual PDF product.

Thank you for recognizing that my niche is very unique and unlike the other gigs here. There is no question the uniqueness of this project makes it more challenging, when it comes to being appealing.

I can’t blame all of the image issue on my eyes.

I’m “text oriented”. I hardly know what to do with a smiley face.

It is very difficult for me to us them here, without zooming in. 😎

With me it’s always “practical” not “pretty”.

I’ve never had a sweet tooth for “eye candy”.

I’ll come right out and say it for you… I’M AN ODD DUCK, with no talent for anything having to do with pictures, images, or related.

Yep, most of the time I simply look past them searching for what I need my eyes to see. Not very “romantic” is it.

You have not offended or discouraged me @hanshuber16. I welcome your insight. You are far from annoying and please come back, without feeling like you need to “APOLOGIZE”

You are ALL much APPRECIATED!

Archived