Fiver & Full Time Job...Anyone?

alizsmith

I truly love Fiverr. And while I’m not rollin in Fiver bucks just yet, I certainly cannot complain about this additional revenue stream that costs me nothing to operate (we’ll, costs me 20% per sale…but still can’t complain too much)

I’m wondering…:thinking:

how many of my fellow sellers have full time jobs?

How do you manage both your day job and selling successfully here on Fiverr?

Ultimately we all want to be THERE ALREADY. Selling all day everyday, no day job, work in our PJ’s. But when you come back down to earth, you realize it’s not practical and many of us need and have day jobs for the time being.
So for any experienced sellers who transitioned from FT day jobs to FT Fiverr, I’d love to hear from you!
Any one currently working on transitioning, I’d love to hear from you!
What do you do to stay focused and deliver on time?
How do you schedule orders around your day job?
Are any of you closer to quitting your day jobs and Fiverr-ing FT? If so, what advice would you give a new Level 2 seller?

Keep rockin’, yall!

Aliz 😄

Hey hi!

I’m also still a graduate and I willing to do a job, but I also suffereing from same problem as you. But I prefer a job that runs 4-6 hours a day. Then I can able to manage both! I try to give orders to someother sellers too. But it’s not working! 😦

Let’s see what are the other comments!

Regards
ExDesigns

I’ve been full-time on Fiverr since I started as far as workload, but it took me a few months to reach a full-time level of income.

My best advice is to stay on top of Fiverr’s updates. For me (and I think a lot of other high-volume sellers), most of the time sales are not consistent on a daily basis. It’s more like a few weeks of being super busy, wondering if it will ever stop and then a few weeks of quiet time. Get used to the pattern so you can enjoy that quiet time!

Your gigs look awesome, keep at it! 😄

I’m working full-time as a shop manager in addition to my work on Fiverr and freelancing web design on the side.

It can be hard to maintain focus sometimes, and I just have to bite my tongue, get the work done, and forego sleep and relaxation.

I feel you.

With that being said, there are ways to make it easier. Maintaining a schedule is one way. I get up in the “morning” (read: noon), I get a shower, go to a cafe and have some “breakfast” (read: brunch), and then go to work. While I’m there, I will still respond to Fiverr messages if I have some downtime, but mostly I’ll focus on work.

Then, when I get home at night around 11 pm, I’ll get some “dinner” (read: unhealthy fast-food), and I’ll go to my computer to work. I’ll record all the orders of that day, making sure to deliver on time. If I’m tired when the clock hits 4 am, I’ll crash for the night and get some sleep.

If not, I’ll watch a movie or some Netflix before getting to bed. Every Thursday and Wednesday (Wednesday is my day off from work), I’ll have three beers or a bottle of wine. I’ll still do some work, mostly editing yesterdays recordings for delivery.

I always keep at least two days on the clock on every order. That way I can postpone some orders if I’m completely broken.

Hey hi!

I’m also still a graduate and I willing to do a job, but I also suffereing from same problem as you. But I prefer a job that runs 4-6 hours a day. Then I can able to manage both! I try to give orders to someother sellers too. But it’s not working! 😦

Let’s see what are the other comments!

Regards

ExDesigns

I hear ya!

If I could do a couple hours a day that would be great but I’m still working a full eight hours. ha!

I’ve been full-time on Fiverr since I started as far as workload, but it took me a few months to reach a full-time level of income.

My best advice is to stay on top of Fiverr’s updates. For me (and I think a lot of other high-volume sellers), most of the time sales are not consistent on a daily basis. It’s more like a few weeks of being super busy, wondering if it will ever stop and then a few weeks of quiet time. Get used to the pattern so you can enjoy that quiet time!

Thanks so much! I take any bit of advice from those who’ve been at this longer than me. I have hit a period of what seemed like back to back orders which was great and then periods where I only hear crickets!

I will say, however–doing both at the same time has me looking forward to when Fiverr does replace my FT income. 😎

I’m working full-time as a shop manager in addition to my work on Fiverr and freelancing web design on the side.

It can be hard to maintain focus sometimes, and I just have to bite my tongue, get the work done, and forego sleep and relaxation.

I feel you.

With that being said, there are ways to make it easier. Maintaining a schedule is one way. I get up in the “morning” (read: noon), I get a shower, go to a cafe and have some “breakfast” (read: brunch), and then go to work. While I’m there, I will still respond to Fiverr messages if I have some downtime, but mostly I’ll focus on work.

Then, when I get home at night around 11 pm, I’ll get some “dinner” (read: unhealthy fast-food), and I’ll go to my computer to work. I’ll record all the orders of that day, making sure to deliver on time. If I’m tired when the clock hits 4 am, I’ll crash for the night and get some sleep.

If not, I’ll watch a movie or some Netflix before getting to bed. Every Thursday and Wednesday (Wednesday is my day off from work), I’ll have three beers or a bottle of wine. I’ll still do some work, mostly editing yesterdays recordings for delivery.

I always keep at least two days on the clock on every order. That way I can postpone some orders if I’m completely broken.

Great advice! Thank you for this. For me, I guess it’s a balance between applying the same level of detail and attention that I give my FT job to all aspects of selling through Fiverr. It’s tough because I often find myself up all hours of the night. I completed on order and was up til 5am. I had to be at work by 10am. :roll_eyes: THAT WAS A HARD DAY BUT…

I got my five start review and my client has decided she wants to continue working me on other projects…so for me, this was worth it! I just have to tell myself to take Fiverr as seriously (more seriously) than my day job if I want to successfully transfer out of corporate and into entrepreneurial freedom! 😎

I could definitely tighten up my day and make the most of my time with a schedule. Thank you!

I’m enjoying the quiet times actually. Feels strange though.

I quit my day job back in March and went full freelance after 12 years in that awful job.

Fiverr was the first way I earned some money online and opened my eyes to the possibilities out there, and I’ll always be grateful for that.

However, I don’t believe you should consider Fiverr as a full-time job or your primary income.
You can’t rely on this platform to get consistent sales at all. One month you can sell a lot, and the next one nothing.

Ultimately, what you want to do is build a business.
This is not an easy thing to do. You will have to learn a lot of extra skills like marketing and selling but in my opinion, totally worths it.

I quit my day job back in March and went full freelance after 12 years in that awful job.

Fiverr was the first way I earned some money online and opened my eyes to the possibilities out there, and I’ll always be grateful for that.

However, I don’t believe you should consider Fiverr as a full-time job or your primary income.

You can’t rely on this platform to get consistent sales at all. One month you can sell a lot, and the next one nothing.

This is not an easy thing to do. You will have to learn a lot of extra skills like marketing and selling but in my opinion, totally worths it.

I agree. You shouldn’t rely on one single freelance platform. There are plenty of posts where even top rated sellers explain how they lost their steady income due to various Fiverr changes.

I quit my FT job a year ago and started my own agency. I came to Fiverr to build up my portfolio and get some experience in freelancing world. My agency covers around 60% of my income and I still have a long way to go, but I feel less dependent on Fiverr. It’s not easy to manage multiple freelance accounts and run an agency, but it will be worth it in the long term. In terms of time management, you’ll need to hustle or hire an assistant to reduce your workload. If you have a lot work then you can probably afford an assistant.

I still do some orders on Fiverr, but if something should happen to Fiverr, I still have my agency & other platforms to rely on. What I’m trying to say is that don’t set Fiverr as your end goal, try to set up your own business and Fiverr can be part of it.

I have a full time job but also do freelancing on the topic which is my passion.

I think fiverr could work as a full time option but only in specific areas such as wed development or design, but it totally depends on you and your niche.

If you become an expert in something that is relatively small - you can quickly become the best and attract clients. It´s more difficult if you are in a high competitive area.

I like that! Now there is an idea. I agree, depending on what you offer, it may not be practical (or wise) to rely solely on Fiverr. I’m selling exclusively through Fiverr but am interested in incorporating Fiverr into a FT freelance option which includes other options. Thanks!

Fiverr is my full time job and very sustaining, I am always available on Fiverr 24/7 to offer my services. It is worth it.

Me too, I have the app and stop everything I’m doing when I get a new message or a new order! It has generated a good PT income…more than I initially thought and more than if I were to go out and get a “brick and mortar” PT job, which I am grateful for.

I agree. You shouldn’t rely on one single freelance platform. There are plenty of posts where even top rated sellers explain how they lost their steady income due to various Fiverr changes.

I quit my FT job a year ago and started my own agency. I came to Fiverr to build up my portfolio and get some experience in freelancing world. My agency covers around 60% of my income and I still have a long way to go, but I feel less dependent on Fiverr. It’s not easy to manage multiple freelance accounts and run an agency, but it will be worth it in the long term. In terms of time management, you’ll need to hustle or hire an assistant to reduce your workload. If you have a lot work then you can probably afford an assistant.

I still do some orders on Fiverr, but if something should happen to Fiverr, I still have my agency & other platforms to rely on. What I’m trying to say is that don’t set Fiverr as your end goal, try to set up your own business and Fiverr can be part of it.

This is sound advice. Thank you! Can I ask about your time frame? How long were you selling on Fiverr before starting your agency? I’m currently building my portfolio and Fiverr is my primary tool for this. I’m far off from starting my own agency just yet though. =)

Congrats on taking charge of your life!

This is sound advice. Thank you! Can I ask about your time frame? How long were you selling on Fiverr before starting your agency? I’m currently building my portfolio and Fiverr is my primary tool for this. I’m far off from starting my own agency just yet though. =)

Congrats on taking charge of your life!

Can I ask about your time frame? How long were you selling on Fiverr before starting your agency?

It took me about 2 months before I had enough projects to showcase in my portfolio. Once I added those to my website I started reaching out to local businesses. I first targeted businesses that were matching somewhat with my previous projects.

It took me about 5-6 months before I started making enough money to pay the bills through my agency. Until then I was living off my savings, but I had enough to live at least 2 years without making any money as a freelancer.

If you don’t have savings to cover you for minimum 12 months, then don’t quit your FT job until you’re making at least 70-80% of your income through freelance work. (It can’t be only through Fiverr)

If I was in your shoes then:

• first I would invest in recording equipment. As a VO artist you need premium audio quality and I’m not sure if it’s the mic or the room, but I think it can be improved in your case. Long term investment would be renting or building your home studio.
  • create a sample track which shows your range (different styles, voices etc).
  • create another sample targeted to a specific audience (for example only radio ads)
  • once you have enough samples, reach out to a local businesses who need radio ads.
  • promote your services in YouTube & Facebook or create a podcast if needed. You narrate audio books, right? Why not create a YouTube channel or a podcast for it. Collect subscribers and maybe you’ll be able to monetize your podcast or YouTube channel.

I work full time as a freelancer but not just on Fiverr. I was already full time when I joined Fiverr. I was a teacher but relocated and in the middle of the semester so it was hard to find a teaching job. I started with Upwork, basically writing $5 articles but one day interestingly, there was a low offer on Upwork to write romance novels for co-author recognition. The pay was just $60. I already had two books I had written for the sake of writing and was on the third. So, I sold them to him. When other clients saw my good reviews, they started sending awarding my proposals. Writing a novel usually cost somewhere between $500 and $800 most times. That’s for 50k-80k words. I dug deep and wrote 15k words per day and was able to write some 4 novels per month. (Now I’ve pushed back and accept various length books). I was making more than I did as a teacher. Now the school term is to start next month and I have circled several jobs to apply for. I teach Spanish and French with 3 years experience so it wouldn’t be hard to get a job. But I’ve been spoiled on eating, working and sleeping all in the same place. It also costs me less because I don’t have to pay transportation fee, nor to spend a lot of money buying lunch since I am at home. But for me to be confident in freelancing, I work across multiple platforms. i got kicked from Upwork for a violation (I think they are trying to get rid of people) but several of my clients walked with me. I’ve a full time author who I ghostwrite for. So she spits out at me each time I finish another. So even if I don’t get gigs here on Fiverr, i know I always have that long term opportunity. I can write as much or as little as I want. So in total I work on Fiverr, (had to remove my book writing gigs because I can’t complete so many orders on full length novels and only write plots now here) and I work on Freelancer where I pick up most of my novel gigs, peopleperhour, and guru. Oh and in my spare time I self-publish on Amazon so I anticipate a check every few months or so.
It’s not easy but I bust my ass at it, sometimes working from 6am right back to 3am the next morning. I do it because I love writing and I love being a stay-at-home mom.

I’m seriously considering taking the leap to becoming a FT freelancer on Fiverr. I currently work 40 hours a week and make around £1500 a month from my FT job. I’ve finally got to the point where I make more money on Fiverr than what I do at work.

Right now I’m delaying buyers from placing gigs and I’ve set a 14 days completion time on my premium gig because I’m struggling to balance everything. If I was unemployed I could be completing my premium gigs within a few days, instead of 14, I wouldn’t need to delay my buyers and I would be doing the thing I love doing, while choosing my own hours and being my own boss.

I have other sources of income online which has nothing to do with freelancing and it would give me more time to build on those as well.

Can I ask about your time frame? How long were you selling on Fiverr before starting your agency?

It took me about 2 months before I had enough projects to showcase in my portfolio. Once I added those to my website I started reaching out to local businesses. I first targeted businesses that were matching somewhat with my previous projects.

It took me about 5-6 months before I started making enough money to pay the bills through my agency. Until then I was living off my savings, but I had enough to live at least 2 years without making any money as a freelancer.

If you don’t have savings to cover you for minimum 12 months, then don’t quit your FT job until you’re making at least 70-80% of your income through freelance work. (It can’t be only through Fiverr)

If I was in your shoes then:

• first I would invest in recording equipment. As a VO artist you need premium audio quality and I’m not sure if it’s the mic or the room, but I think it can be improved in your case. Long term investment would be renting or building your home studio.
  • create a sample track which shows your range (different styles, voices etc).
  • create another sample targeted to a specific audience (for example only radio ads)
  • once you have enough samples, reach out to a local businesses who need radio ads.
  • promote your services in YouTube & Facebook or create a podcast if needed. You narrate audio books, right? Why not create a YouTube channel or a podcast for it. Collect subscribers and maybe you’ll be able to monetize your podcast or YouTube channel.

Thanks for the advice! You raise a great point and I’ve been meaning to explore other options. What you see on my Gigs has been there a while and needs major updates. I had a bit of a catch 22 where I worked FT but was getting more orders than usual and finding the time to update demos and highlight my audio equipment upgrades. Taking your advice to heart and I sincerely appreciate your constructive feedback! 😀

I’m seriously considering taking the leap to becoming a FT freelancer on Fiverr. I currently work 40 hours a week and make around £1500 a month from my FT job. I’ve finally got to the point where I make more money on Fiverr than what I do at work.

Right now I’m delaying buyers from placing gigs and I’ve set a 14 days completion time on my premium gig because I’m struggling to balance everything. If I was unemployed I could be completing my premium gigs within a few days, instead of 14, I wouldn’t need to delay my buyers and I would be doing the thing I love doing, while choosing my own hours and being my own boss.

I have other sources of income online which has nothing to do with freelancing and it would give me more time to build on those as well.

That’s great! Congrats on taking charge of your business and growing to meet/exceed your brick and mortar job! It seems like multiple platforms is a common theme here among the most successful sellers. Happy selling!

I work full time as a freelancer but not just on Fiverr. I was already full time when I joined Fiverr. I was a teacher but relocated and in the middle of the semester so it was hard to find a teaching job. I started with Upwork, basically writing $5 articles but one day interestingly, there was a low offer on Upwork to write romance novels for co-author recognition. The pay was just $60. I already had two books I had written for the sake of writing and was on the third. So, I sold them to him. When other clients saw my good reviews, they started sending awarding my proposals. Writing a novel usually cost somewhere between $500 and $800 most times. That’s for 50k-80k words. I dug deep and wrote 15k words per day and was able to write some 4 novels per month. (Now I’ve pushed back and accept various length books). I was making more than I did as a teacher. Now the school term is to start next month and I have circled several jobs to apply for. I teach Spanish and French with 3 years experience so it wouldn’t be hard to get a job. But I’ve been spoiled on eating, working and sleeping all in the same place. It also costs me less because I don’t have to pay transportation fee, nor to spend a lot of money buying lunch since I am at home. But for me to be confident in freelancing, I work across multiple platforms. i got kicked from Upwork for a violation (I think they are trying to get rid of people) but several of my clients walked with me. I’ve a full time author who I ghostwrite for. So she spits out at me each time I finish another. So even if I don’t get gigs here on Fiverr, i know I always have that long term opportunity. I can write as much or as little as I want. So in total I work on Fiverr, (had to remove my book writing gigs because I can’t complete so many orders on full length novels and only write plots now here) and I work on Freelancer where I pick up most of my novel gigs, peopleperhour, and guru. Oh and in my spare time I self-publish on Amazon so I anticipate a check every few months or so.

It’s not easy but I bust my ass at it, sometimes working from 6am right back to 3am the next morning. I do it because I love writing and I love being a stay-at-home mom.

That’s sort of where I am now, I am exploring other things and currently building a website myself (which, isn’t for the faint of heart!)

I was up until 5:30 am for an audiobook and had to be work at 10am. But I think you have me beat though as I don’t have children yet so you’re more like Wonder Woman to balance a family and such demanding freelance work. I’m taking a page form your book! 😎

Happy Selling!

Archived