Fiver New Header is Bad Design

toutou123

I’m not a User Experience designer myself, but I know some tricks of the trade, in designing websites/apps it is important that:

1. The user has clear guides on where he is and what is he doing;
  2. Steps to do any action should be minimized to the smallest, if you arrange a task t be done in 2 steps or 3 steps, doing it in 2 steps is a better design.
  3. Prioritize most used features for easy access compared to less used ones.

How does the new vs old fiverr header compares to these rules, especially for sellers:
A. most important features for sellers: messeages, todo list, and notifications are not prioritized for easy access, each one of them is a feature in a list instead of a dedicated quick access button.
B. the number of steps to access todo list and the messages is 2 instead of 1 previously.
C. a lot of practical features of the notifications changed:

• There alerting dots for new notifications in the 3 categories were big and grabs attention well, I don’t feel the same about the new tiny dots.
  • the number of new messages/notifications/new orders that used to show under their buttons was beneficial help keep track of how many things you need to do each time, if you had 3 new messages, you know you have to reply 3 times.
  • The orders marked as complete by the buyer and have feedback on them now show only on the notification list, they are removed from the todo list, and they don’t even have their own category, how are we supposed to keep track of them. today I had 6 feedback from one seller, it was hard to click on 4 of them and then scroll down and wonder where the new ones start from.

Just get the old one back, there is no practical benefits to this new one.

Guest offlinehelpers

Here you go - you can discuss it here:

Hello Fiverr buyers and sellers! Some exciting news to share with you today. We’re giving the header navigation a spring clean and a makeover! Reorganized the items in the menu to give it a fresh new look. Why Are We Doing This? It was about time! And we wanted to make it easier for our community of buyers, sellers, and perusers to find the important pages and actions they need to help them get their jobs done, faster. So What Does the New Menu Look Like? We’ve regrouped the key menu to he…

I guess it’s just difference of opinion. I don’t personally like the dashboard all that much. I extremely dislike icon menus on websites too - one reason is that I have to guess what the icons mean. Since this is an international website it makes more sense to have words that can be translated than icons that may not make sense to people in other localities of the world. You can’t translate an icon.

I have a feeling that some of the changes were designed to encourage users to look in the various areas themselves, rather than waiting for a notification to tell them to do it (tiny dots).

As far as the number of steps, it is now an equal number of steps to access most of the menu. I think that’s part of design - you can expect that each action will take the same number of steps. Sine many different people use the site, it seems to make more sense to put everything of approximately the same ease, since the userbase is varied. Prioritizing the menu for you may ‘un-prioritize’ it for me. Shortest is not always best - it seems so but in reality it is not necessarily the case (haven’t some major sites been switching from a 1 step login screen to 2 step?).

I do agree that the messages should be more prominent.

Completed orders being only in the notification list may be an oversight.

There is one other benefit to the new design - it allows them to build more functionality in the future without one really long menu dropdown. Also, the groupings are now more self-explanatory, i.e. what you need to buy is in buying, what you need to sell is in selling, etc.

Just some points to consider.

About the icons being confusing, Fiverr is not a casual website that you visit to read and article or two and then never come back too. It’s a working platform and sellers are working for years, so they know it upside down.
Functionality, quick access, and tracking is crucial especially for sellers who receive many orders a day.
The new design makes slow even with 1 more step and, the tracking of messages, orders, and feedback all made more complex now.

I totally agree with two points…the alert dot is so confusing and also the inbox and notification sub-menu in same category as message is not at all cool. It is confusing me.

I always appreciate the updates but there must be some more improvements needed now.

About the icons being confusing, Fiverr is not a casual website that you visit to read and article or two and then never come back too. It’s a working platform and sellers are working for years, so they know it upside down.

Functionality, quick access, and tracking is crucial especially for sellers who receive many orders a day.

The new design makes slow even with 1 more step and, the tracking of messages, orders, and feedback all made more complex now.

Hard to find what exactly you want!

Totally agree, came here to post this or find other posts about it. Dashboard icon is now annoyingly hidden, and it takes extra clicks to do things such as go to the Inbox… Was perfectly fine before.

It was very perfect before. I’m getting annoyed now every time a new message, notification, or order is made. the process is more complex, takes too much clicks and always gets confused between the notifications or messages. these two should be separated.

Couldn’t agree more! The new design makes working with the dashboard less efficient. The older version was quick and effortless. I used to be able to see my to-do list so easily. Now I am always stuck trying to figure out where to go. Please switch this up, Fiverr. This isn’t conducive for your sellers.

Archived