Fiverr BYOB discussion

frank_d

It’s been a while since I created a topic, so here goes:

anyone here used the Fiverr BYOB program AND got their payment?

I logged in and checked out the new dashboard thingy and it looks pretty intimidating to say the least, and I wanted to see if it works as advertised before bringing in a whale. 😉

Oh, Cy, there’s a first time for everything. 🤭

Head to South :beach: Beach, you’d be surprised. 😯

Head to South :beach: Beach, you’d be surprised. 😯

Been there, done that, bought the alligator head souvenir. 🙂

Sadly beaches aren’t my scene. Give me a kayak to paddle to a rocky out of the way cove away from the beasts on the beach, and I’m your man. Force me to tag along on a trendy boardshorts and bikini beach trip, and I’ll just secretly wee in the sea to spite you.

Bring Your Own Bikini 👙

I can’t add anything to the conversation because haven’t used the BYOB!

Just giving this a bump. 😉

Seems like no one is using it.

I got some private feedback from other Pro sellers who told me they used it, and Fiverr did not give them back the commission as advertised, on the grounds that the users came to Fiverr but did not register.

Hmm… not sure I wanna take that chance.

Seems like no one is using it.

I got some private feedback from other Pro sellers who told me they used it, and Fiverr did not give them back the commission as advertised, on the grounds that the users came to Fiverr but did not register.

Hmm… not sure I wanna take that chance.

users came to Fiverr but did not register.

So just to clarify, if you use BYOB, customers can pay directly without signing up to Fiverr and (in theory) sellers don’t have to pay 20% commission?

I actually like that and could use it. - However, paying 20% comission to Fiverr would be a deal breaker.

users came to Fiverr but did not register.

So just to clarify, if you use BYOB, customers can pay directly without signing up to Fiverr and (in theory) sellers don’t have to pay 20% commission?

I actually like that and could use it. - However, paying 20% comission to Fiverr would be a deal breaker.

If I use BYOB this is what happens:

-buyer pays the 5% processing fee

-i get the 80% of the sale as per usual once the order is marked as complete.

-30 days later I also get the 20% commission back.

Oh and I will ALWAYS get the 20% commission back from that specific buyer. No matter how many orders they place, just as long as initial registration occurred via my special BYOB link.

Oh and I will ALWAYS get the 20% commission back from that specific buyer. No matter how many orders they place, just as long as initial registration occurred via my special BYOB link.

That killed it for me. - It means I’d have to check back on orders, would probably forget, and would probably not even realize if I didn’t get the 20% back. That says to me that BYOB is designed that way.

Oh and I will ALWAYS get the 20% commission back from that specific buyer.

That sold it to me again! But if they need to register as a Fiverr user… That could kill it again.

It sounds like it needs to be made a bit more straight forward really…

Use this to bring buyer - Bring buyer - Get paid - That’s simple and I like it. What you just described, though, is some kind of chess maneuver and I’m still trying to figure out all the ways I’m getting played…

That killed it for me. - It means I’d have to check back on orders, would probably forget, and would probably not even realize if I didn’t get the 20% back. That says to me that BYOB is designed that way.

Oh and I will ALWAYS get the 20% commission back from that specific buyer.

That sold it to me again! But if they need to register as a Fiverr user… That could kill it again.

It sounds like it needs to be made a bit more straight forward really…

Use this to bring buyer - Bring buyer - Get paid - That’s simple and I like it. What you just described, though, is some kind of chess maneuver and I’m still trying to figure out all the ways I’m getting played…

Well if you got to see the dashboard that you need to use to keep track of everything you’d find it as iffy as I did which leads us to why I posted this topic in the first place.

And also, in an ideal world one could make a lot more $$ if they would use BYOB and get people to join the platform AND keep them as clients in the process.

However that means you need to do/pay for the marketing, which is why we pay the commission in the first place.

80% + 20% commission. 😯

Sounds good and looks on paper, but is this an invite only kinda thing?

• 3 months later...

Not sure I want to put all my eggs in one basket.

There’s both the egg->basket issue, plus bringing your already-existing book of business to Fiverr, if they ALREADY have a fiverr account means you just lost 20% of your income to fiverr. Period. Because it has to be a new Fiverr customer/account to get the 20% returned to you. Let’s say 50% of your non-Fiverr customer base already has Fiverr accounts — It’s just a loss of that 10% (give or take) of your non-Fiverr income base. There’s no gain for you. Fiverr, however, gets to show them all your competitors and make 20% on your customers.

No bid.

OK so a long overdue update on my end:

My experience with the BYOB feature was a bumpy one.

The 20% was returned to me, but it took a bit longer than advertised and I couldn’t withdraw the amount to my fiverr account because it was over 1k (which is not disclosed anywhere). So I had to enter my bank account directly which was a bit counterintuitive.

Fiverr staff also told me that when someone comes via my BYOB custom link, they are never introduced to my competitors via Fiverr’s newsletter, picks of the month or what have you.

(They are of course free to browse the video-animation category on their own)

But competition is not that much of an issue for me.
I mean anyone who comes via my BYOB link is already a customer and they do prefer my service.

The 20% was returned to me, but it took a bit longer than advertised and I couldn’t withdraw the amount to my fiverr account because it was over 1k (which is not disclosed anywhere). So I had to enter my bank account directly which was a bit counterintuitive.

Fiverr staff also told me that when someone comes via my BYOB custom link, they are never introduced to my competitors via Fiverr’s newsletter, picks of the month or what have you.

I mean anyone who comes via my BYOB link is already a customer and they do prefer my service.

Hi, how long did it take? Two weeks? And you entered your bank account directly on fiverr? Were you using Paypal for the other withdrawals?

Hi, how long did it take? Two weeks? And you entered your bank account directly on fiverr? Were you using Paypal for the other withdrawals?

It took over 1 month.

I entered my bank account on the affiliates dashboard which is NOT part of the Fiverr platform.

I use Payoneer all the time for my payouts.

The reason they’re holding money 60-90 days is to earn money off interest. it’s part of their business tactic in the first place. All escrow services use funds to earn money.

Keeping it longer? That’s YOUR income/interest loss. Common business sense: “Money today is better than money tomorrow.”)

I was about to say, and you added: what keeps them from looking at the rest of Fiverr and seeing the competition even if Fiverr is not ACTIVELY trying to take the customer away from you?

But also — what stops them from making “mistakes” or such. They only stand to greatly financially benefit from stealing your customer from you and making the 20% commission. Or one day they decide to discontinue BYOB — now if your customer keeps ordering through Fiverr, you lose the 20%, period.

Staff can tell you anything, you have to read the TOS and policies and make sure it’s in writing and eligible to sue them for lost wages/income. Otherwise they just disavow what was said, claim the rep didn’t understand the question/policy, whatever. Read read read. or don’t engage.

The reason they’re holding money 60-90 days is to earn money off interest. it’s part of their business tactic in the first place. All escrow services use funds to earn money.

Keeping it longer? That’s YOUR income/interest loss. Common business sense: “Money today is better than money tomorrow.”)

I was about to say, and you added: what keeps them from looking at the rest of Fiverr and seeing the competition even if Fiverr is not ACTIVELY trying to take the customer away from you?

But also — what stops them from making “mistakes” or such. They only stand to greatly financially benefit from stealing your customer from you and making the 20% commission. Or one day they decide to discontinue BYOB — now if your customer keeps ordering through Fiverr, you lose the 20%, period.

Staff can tell you anything, you have to read the TOS and policies and make sure it’s in writing and eligible to sue them for lost wages/income. Otherwise they just disavow what was said, claim the rep didn’t understand the question/policy, whatever. Read read read. or don’t engage.

I think it’s a great idea. Sellers who have clients elsewhere can use a payment processor on this site without needing to have one anywhere else.

Look, BYOB is not for everyone.

I made an additional $5k in August because I got a few Pro orders via BYOB links.

No one is forcing you to use it.

It’s true what you said about money today etc but that 20% is money you would otherwise give to Fiverr.

Fiverr stands to gain from every person you bring on the platform because they target every single thing a small-medium business needs.

So I bring them in for videos, they are bound to look for SEO, graphics design or whatever at some point.

Also: I feel super-confident about the level of service I offer personally. My clients are not “lost” if they choose to look elsewhere for a different project.

I am not in direct competition with cheap gigs and my clients are not looking for cheap solutions either.

So if you fear of the competition that much, you may need to look inward and reassess who your target clients really are and what value they see in your offerings

P.S. i was in direct contact with the man behind the feature at all times. He was really helpful and while I didn’t have anything in writing they had no reason for me to lose my 20% or stop using the feature.

Look, BYOB is not for everyone.

I made an additional $5k in August because I got a few Pro orders via BYOB links.

No one is forcing you to use it.

It’s true what you said about money today etc but that 20% is money you would otherwise give to Fiverr.

Fiverr stands to gain from every person you bring on the platform because they target every single thing a small-medium business needs.

So I bring them in for videos, they are bound to look for SEO, graphics design or whatever at some point.

Also: I feel super-confident about the level of service I offer personally. My clients are not “lost” if they choose to look elsewhere for a different project.

I am not in direct competition with cheap gigs and my clients are not looking for cheap solutions either.

So if you fear of the competition that much, you may need to look inward and reassess who your target clients really are and what value they see in your offerings

P.S. i was in direct contact with the man behind the feature at all times. He was really helpful and while I didn’t have anything in writing they had no reason for me to lose my 20% or stop using the feature.

A customer who was already on Fiverr, whom I’ve made thousands from, I would be losing 20% for. I would be getting that 20% if it weren’t for Fiverr. I already do.

If the customer is already on Fiverr, it’s a 20% income loss in commissions to Fiverr for being an order management system. I already have a system to manage my clients. My client isn’t ordering more $ due to Fiverr.

re: In order to enjoy zero-commission order, your buyer must be a new Fiverr user…

Fiverr didn’t refer this customer to me, but I have to pay them a commission. Way more than a CRM program or order management system, depending on my volume of sales.

1014498153_ScreenShot2018-11-21at12_05_56PM.png.30cdbd050a9bef287558cf1521425fc4.png

A customer who was already on Fiverr, whom I’ve made thousands from, I would be losing 20% for. I would be getting that 20% if it weren’t for Fiverr. I already do.

If the customer is already on Fiverr, it’s a 20% income loss in commissions to Fiverr for being an order management system. I already have a system to manage my clients. My client isn’t ordering more $ due to Fiverr.

re: In order to enjoy zero-commission order, your buyer must be a new Fiverr user…

Fiverr didn’t refer this customer to me, but I have to pay them a commission. Way more than a CRM program or order management system, depending on my volume of sales.

56%20PM

I don’t understand what your point is, honestly.

If you already have clients outside Fiverr then there’s no need for you to use the feature. (Or Fiverr for that matter)

That doesn’t mean no one on Fiverr can use it or that the feature is not any good.

56%20PM

Fiverr didn’t refer this customer to me, but I have to pay them a commission.

I think you didn’t see the last one: All future orders from the customer you bring to fiverr will be commission free, if I am understanding you correctly.

I agree 100% with this. I’m sure there is some use for the BYOB program. But, it seems very limited. When I have clients outside of Fiverr, I get my money right away, because I always get paid a big chunk up front. It’s easier to deal with revisions, changes in scope, deadlines, and just about everything else. I feel like bringing my clients to this platform makes their life harder and I don’t get any benefit.

Fiverr is interested in making money off the interest and getting new buyers on the platform. They have shown in the past their TOS can change abruptly. I have no desire to bring new customers here. I’d rather do the work and get them to my own site.

Fiverr Learn has also made me even more skeptical of the BYOB program. Why? Because Fiverr Learn seems geared to capture more seller money. It could easily become pay-to-play on Fiverr. you have to buy courses to get gigs ranked. I feel like Fiverr is turning into a company town where every effort is made to get you to spend all of your money on the platform. It doesn’t feel like a program that is actually respectful of sellers. How do I know that Fiverr won’t try and get a bigger cut in the future? Maybe it needs to start charging a “fee” to cover its invoicing and payment services for BYOB.

No online platform is safe for freelancers because the rules can always change. No seller is too big to get the hook. Multiple sources of income is the most sane way to protect yourself in the gig economy.

Archived