Fiverr categories stats

the_cable_guy

Hello everyone.

When I first found out about the Fiverr, I’ve spent a lot of time reading posts, articles, tips and etc to understand what is its specificity. Still, I’m not an expert, I’m a learning seller and I have nothing to brag about in terms of earnings.

I’ve started with studying my knowledge and strengths to find out what exactly I can do here. And I, as a full-stack developer, have a pretty long list of what I can do. For me it was the question of what will be most profitable to sell on Fiverr. It turns out that it’s a stupid thing to try to sell my Selenium skills here to the clients (no one knows what a heck is that). Fiverr is a very specific platform. In order to succeed here you must clearly see that or all your attempts will hit a wall.

Getting to the point. After studying the theory (and getting tired of all the posts like “be consistent”, “find your strengths”, “do the quality work”, “add a video”, “don’t add a video”) I switched my attention to the power of numbers and statistics. I wanted to know which categories are doing better on Fiverr.

And I have something to share.
stat1.png.b662d545f7f0b5e91726a748932bef4a.png
These are the stats for all top categories on Fiverr.
The numbers are for the last two months and are approximate. The list is sorted by overall sales amount in descending order.

Memo:
Gray - Quantity of sales in a category.
Green - Average price per sale.
Blue - Overall sales amount.
Orange - Gigs added over the last month.
Red - The number of sellers in the category.

This overall stat was not that eye-opening. I knew that the Design category is the leading one, but I didn’t expect it to be soooo huge.

Next step. As I’m interested in the technical category, I looked at the numbers for “Programming & Tech” sub-categories:

stat2.thumb.png.011d955cc1d58a7ac3be8c1908a6f29e.png

… and I was thinking of selling chat-bots, good thing I didn’t spend much time on that :).
It’s more than a year Chat bots category was introduced (July 13, 2017 is specified in the article “Introducing Our Newest Category: Chatbots!” on Fiverr blog). Enough time for evaluation.

Let me be sincere, I hate WordPress ('cause of its greed for resources and a mess created by plugins). I will skip to sub-category “Mobile Apps & Web”. And here is what I see:
stat3.png.69d6f5273bf4bff039c1cb4b20fb12f2.png

Do you see anything interesting? I do. The statistics show me: not all categories are equal, there are old categories that are still not getting any traction (and wouldn’t at least there will be a change in technology), there are categories that are trending, some categories are very low-priced, like “User Testing” with $15 on average per sale.

Why I’m I writing all this to you?
First, because I’m tired of all those posts covering the same “find your strength” message over and over and over again without providing any new value to the community.
Secondly, I’m a strong believer in “sharing is caring”. I will learn more when I will hear comments, messages, or even accusations from you 🙂
And lastly, I hopefully expect that overall level of sellers will improve with such sharing of knowledge. And when all are improving, I’m improving as well. 'cause I’m so excited about what Fiverr and it’s doers-company does! It’s our freedom. It’s our future.

Before I’ll wrap up, my final question to you is: what stats would you like to see next?
Thanks and have good sales 😉

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone.

When I first found out about the Fiverr, I’ve spent a lot of time reading posts, articles, tips and etc to understand what is its specificity. Still, I’m not an expert, I’m a learning seller and I have nothing to brag about in terms of earnings.

I’ve started with studying my knowledge and strengths to find out what exactly I can do here. And I, as a full-stack developer, have a pretty long list of what I can do. For me it was the question of what will be most profitable to sell on Fiverr. It turns out that it’s a stupid thing to try to sell my Selenium skills here to the clients (no one knows what a heck is that). Fiverr is a very specific platform. In order to succeed here you must clearly see that or all your attempts will hit a wall.

Getting to the point. After studying the theory (and getting tired of all the posts like “be consistent”, “find your strengths”, “do the quality work”, “add a video”, “don’t add a video”) I switched my attention to the power of numbers and statistics. I wanted to know which categories are doing better on Fiverr.

stat1

The numbers are for the last two months and are approximate. The list is sorted by overall sales amount in descending order.

Memo:

This overall stat was not that eye-opening. I knew that the Design category is the leading one, but I didn’t expect it to be soooo huge.

Next step. As I’m interested in the technical category, I looked at the numbers for “Programming & Tech” sub-categories:

… and I was thinking of selling chat-bots, good thing I didn’t spend much time on that :).

It’s more than a year Chat bots category was introduced (July 13, 2017 is specified in the article “Introducing Our Newest Category: Chatbots!” on Fiverr blog). Enough time for evaluation.

Let me be sincere, I hate WordPress ('cause of its greed for resources and a mess created by plugins). I will skip to sub-category “Mobile Apps & Web”. And here is what I see:

stat3

Do you see anything interesting? I do. The statistics show me: not all categories are equal, there are old categories that are still not getting any traction (and wouldn’t at least there will be a change in technology), there are categories that are trending, some categories are very low-priced, like “User Testing” with $15 on average per sale.

First, because I’m tired of all those posts covering the same “find your strength” message over and over and over again without providing any new value to the community.

Secondly, I’m a strong believer in “sharing is caring”. I will learn more when I will hear comments, messages, or even accusations from you 🙂

And lastly, I hopefully expect that overall level of sellers will improve with such sharing of knowledge. And when all are improving, I’m improving as well. 'cause I’m so excited about what Fiverr and it’s doers-company does! It’s our freedom. It’s our future.

Before I’ll wrap up, my final question to you is: what stats would you like to see next?

I’m tired of all those posts covering the same “find your strength” message over and over and over again without providing any new value to the community.

After studying the theory (and getting tired of all the posts like “be consistent”, “find your strengths”, “do the quality work”, “add a video”, “don’t add a video”) I switched my attention to the power of numbers and statistics.

There is a reason why many successful sellers post such messages on the forum. This is because — no matter what the statistics tell, it makes ZERO sense to offer services in a category JUST because that particular category has the “highest sales amount”.

A seller can have many skills:

• design minimalist logos (graphics & design)
  • work as a full-stack developer/work on selenium (programming & tech)
  • write articles on cryptocurrency (writing & translation)

If they are really skilled at all 3 tasks and are capable of providing top-notch services to their clients, then sure! They can make gigs in each of these categories. They can become very successful sellers on Fiverr.

Unfortunately, many sellers look for the easiest way to make money… They don’t want to put in the hard work/effort that’s required to deliver premium quality services/products to their customers. Instead, they find the category that is making the most money (using statistics, just like you did), create some random gig in that category, and start fooling/scamming buyers by promising them excellent products/services. They end up getting poor reviews and their orders canceled by their buyers/Fiverr. In the end, they don’t make any money; they get the boot from Fiverr. What’s the point in making such gigs (in categories making the most revenue) when sellers don’t possess the requisite skills to be the best at what they do? @the_cable_guy Do you agree?

(TL;DR): Don’t create gigs in a particular category just because you see that category making the most money. If this is your intention, statistics don’t mean anything. If you are not really skilled at a particular task (“skilled” doesn’t just mean having the technical know-how; It means being really good, if not the best, at what you do), it doesn’t make much sense to create a gig that requires you to do that task. Create gigs that revolve around your skill set and you will have the best chance at making the most money you possibly can.

Good luck! ☀️

P.S: I liked the way you presented those stats. Was easy to understand and the color combinations were not harsh on the eyes. 😃

Guest merciavideo

Hello everyone.

stat1

Memo:

stat3

The numbers are for the last two months and are approximate.

I’d love to know how you estimated the number of sales and the average price per sale for each category please. Fiverr itself wouldn’t make that sort of information available. 🙂

Well done for what must have been a lot of number crunching. 😉

@hanshuber16, if you are telling that sellers should not just blindly select the most profitable category and should not trivially copy the top gigs there, then you are absolutely right! I totally agree with that. And there are lots of posts on fiverr blog telling exactly that, that’s why I do not want to copy the same message again. It should be a basis before anyone will look into the stats above.

In order to get good results you should sum altogether: integrity, quality work, diligence, honesty, value and … (this is my post is all about) combine it with the power of quality analysis! Spend your time examining the categories. Do not give up if you did everything correct and your gig in a category does not get attention, possibly the answer is simple: there is not so much of a demand (check the chat-bots, database categories on the screens above as an example).

Thanks for your input, @hanshuber16! Really appreciate this. With your comment the overall picture should be more correct and clear for the readers.

The numbers are for the last two months and are approximate.

I’d love to know how you estimated the number of sales and the average price per sale for each category please. Fiverr itself wouldn’t make that sort of information available. 🙂

Thanks, @merciavideo!

You are right, I couldn’t find any official info in terms of categories activity; but sorry to say I can’t disclose the source of numbers, would say only that it is accessible to anyone and I have no special access to any secret database :). Money and sales numbers are rough, but they are accurate in terms of comparing categories with each over. Other numbers (sellers, new gigs) should be precise.

I’m tired of all those posts covering the same “find your strength” message over and over and over again without providing any new value to the community.

After studying the theory (and getting tired of all the posts like “be consistent”, “find your strengths”, “do the quality work”, “add a video”, “don’t add a video”) I switched my attention to the power of numbers and statistics.

There is a reason why many successful sellers post such messages on the forum. This is because — no matter what the statistics tell, it makes ZERO sense to offer services in a category JUST because that particular category has the “highest sales amount”.

A seller can have many skills:

• design minimalist logos (graphics & design)
  • work as a full-stack developer/work on selenium (programming & tech)
  • write articles on cryptocurrency (writing & translation)

If they are really skilled at all 3 tasks and are capable of providing top-notch services to their clients, then sure! They can make gigs in each of these categories. They can become very successful sellers on Fiverr.

Unfortunately, many sellers look for the easiest way to make money… They don’t want to put in the hard work/effort that’s required to deliver premium quality services/products to their customers. Instead, they find the category that is making the most money (using statistics, just like you did), create some random gig in that category, and start fooling/scamming buyers by promising them excellent products/services. They end up getting poor reviews and their orders canceled by their buyers/Fiverr. In the end, they don’t make any money; they get the boot from Fiverr. What’s the point in making such gigs (in categories making the most revenue) when sellers don’t possess the requisite skills to be the best at what they do? @the_cable_guy Do you agree?

(TL;DR): Don’t create gigs in a particular category just because you see that category making the most money. If this is your intention, statistics don’t mean anything. If you are not really skilled at a particular task (“skilled” doesn’t just mean having the technical know-how; It means being really good, if not the best, at what you do), it doesn’t make much sense to create a gig that requires you to do that task. Create gigs that revolve around your skill set and you will have the best chance at making the most money you possibly can.

Good luck! ☀️

P.S: I liked the way you presented those stats. Was easy to understand and the color combinations were not harsh on the eyes. 😃

@the_cable_guy Thanks for sharing this information and the effort you put into it. It’s saved me a lot of time.

Totally agree. Sellers who are simply looking to make some fast cash and return sub-par work will get caught out. However, what’s been provided here is the means to making a plan, particularly if you have experience in several categories - you always start with research.

Thanks again.

Thanks, @merciavideo!

You are right, I couldn’t find any official info in terms of categories activity; but sorry to say I can’t disclose the source of numbers, would say only that it is accessible to anyone and I have no special access to any secret database :). Money and sales numbers are rough, but they are accurate in terms of comparing categories with each over. Other numbers (sellers, new gigs) should be precise.

sorry to say I can’t disclose the source of numbers, would say only that it is accessible to anyone and I have no special access to any secret database

This is not intended to offend, but I have to be honest and say this is a bit confusing. Why not disclose the source if it is accurate? It must not be from staff or it wouldn’t be accessible to anyone, so I’m puzzled. I mean it that I am not bashing your posts, I just don’t understand this part when you’ve gone to trouble to present something that might or might not be of use.

Hello everyone.

stat1

Memo:

stat3

I don’t think this information is reliable at all. Since Fiverr (and any other respectable company) don’t disclose such information, it’s probably an estimation based on the average selling price of all gigs of a seller and the number of reviews and orders in queue. Things that, believe it or not, are not reliable.

First of all, the number of reviews don’t reflect the number of orders. And second of all, the average selling price of our gigs don’t reflect our profits. I have a 10$ gig with orders in the hundreds, even thousands. Can you possibly see that in data that “it is accessible to anyone”? Not in a million years.

Besides, while I understand the idea of following what it works and what is wanted, you still have to follow your own natural talents and passions, otherwise why do you live? If you let go of your happiness and standards for a quick buck you will be miserable. It’s better to focus on your talents and grow from there. Expand from there. Not chase numbers.

So guess what. On the long-term, following your own dreams and talents beat the behind of any number chasing maniac. Ask Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos etc.

Fake numbers aren’t values, while the principles of the science of success are.

Big words from a guy that haven’t sold anything here.

That is the difference between Doers and Fakers. While Doers have a much greater amount of experience because they practice it, fakers believe they know it all simply because they spend an unproductive amount of time trying to study them. But I’d rather learn how to run from Usain Bolt than from the ones that study him. He knows it better. 😀

I don’t think this information is reliable at all. Since Fiverr (and any other respectable company) don’t disclose such information, it’s probably an estimation based on the average selling price of all gigs of a seller and the number of reviews and orders in queue. Things that, believe it or not, are not reliable.

First of all, the number of reviews don’t reflect the number of orders. And second of all, the average selling price of our gigs don’t reflect our profits. I have a 10$ gig with orders in the hundreds, even thousands. Can you possibly see that in data that “it is accessible to anyone”? Not in a million years.

Besides, while I understand the idea of following what it works and what is wanted, you still have to follow your own natural talents and passions, otherwise why do you live? If you let go of your happiness and standards for a quick buck you will be miserable. It’s better to focus on your talents and grow from there. Expand from there. Not chase numbers.

So guess what. On the long-term, following your own dreams and talents beat the behind of any number chasing maniac. Ask Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos etc.

That is the difference between Doers and Fakers. While Doers have a much greater amount of experience because they practice it, fakers believe they know it all simply because they spend an unproductive amount of time trying to study them. But I’d rather learn how to run from Usain Bolt than from the ones that study him. He knows it better. 😀

I assume it’s from the average price of the sellers gigs multiplied by an estimate of the number of that gig that has sold based on the number of reviews. I assume an estimate of the number sold was made based on the number of reviews (eg. multiply the number of reviews by a number to get that, eg. assume only a certain percentage will leave a review).

The problem is this doesn’t tell you the actual price each gig was sold at (which could be very different from the listed price - and I assume the stats weren’t taken where it was showing a price range for each reviewed gig) like has been said. Lots of gigs also have different priced packages and it doesn’t tell you which package was sold - and it could have been sold by the user accepting an offer - the price of which wouldn’t be known publicly normally.

By “publicly accessible” - the only publicly accessible data (apart from eg. a past paper from 2016) about the gigs and prices is on the Fiverr website itself. Which if viewed manually (or through a means where it would appear to Fiverr that it was being viewed manually) would tell the prices etc. listed above, that are shown on the gigs and gig packages, but it wouldn’t show the actual price of the gigs sold (and normally wouldn’t show the price range).

Also, I agree with what has been said, it is best to create gigs for what you are best at but which will also likely be the most profitable, which will likely be where there isn’t a lot of competition but which is still a service that will be in demand or which enough people would pay a high enough amount for.

Though it’s interesting stats as very rough figures and it might help in deciding which categories might be best (assuming they are reasonably correct estimations - which they may not be), as long as they are ones the seller can create quality gigs in and have the necessary skills for those gigs.

sorry to say I can’t disclose the source of numbers, would say only that it is accessible to anyone and I have no special access to any secret database

This is not intended to offend, but I have to be honest and say this is a bit confusing. Why not disclose the source if it is accurate? It must not be from staff or it wouldn’t be accessible to anyone, so I’m puzzled. I mean it that I am not bashing your posts, I just don’t understand this part when you’ve gone to trouble to present something that might or might not be of use.

Why not disclose the source if it is accurate?

Maybe because even though the figures (or rough figures - not actual sales figures) are “publicly available” they (current figures) aren’t easily available through normal means and probably aren’t available easily through a method Fiverr would normally allow. Plus they will only likely be rough figures - so not accurate.

@the_cable_guy Thanks for sharing this information and the effort you put into it. It’s saved me a lot of time.

Totally agree. Sellers who are simply looking to make some fast cash and return sub-par work will get caught out. However, what’s been provided here is the means to making a plan, particularly if you have experience in several categories - you always start with research.

Thanks again.

However, what’s been provided here is the means to making a plan, particularly if you have experience in several categories - you always start with research.

@mross55, perfect and accurate summary, thank you!

Absolutely no offence, @fonthaunt, and thank you for your honesty. I just do not want to turn this post into simple “here is the tool for lazy sellers”. The sellers who really want to get this data will get this data. I will say this: the data is all available through Fiverr website. And a bit more, some Fiverr JS APIs provide more data than is shown.

Guest merciavideo

Absolutely no offence, @fonthaunt, and thank you for your honesty. I just do not want to turn this post into simple “here is the tool for lazy sellers”. The sellers who really want to get this data will get this data. I will say this: the data is all available through Fiverr website. And a bit more, some Fiverr JS APIs provide more data than is shown.

The sellers who really want to get this data will get this data.

some Fiverr JS APIs provide more data than is shown.

Only if they understand what you’ve just written, which not everybody can (including me).

Mind you, somebody could start a gig to explain it and provide the data I suppose. 😉

Thanks for sharing, it’s interesting, but like some others, I’m puzzled how you got to the average sales price.
Just to make sure - you’re aware of custom offers and that many sellers rarely sell the actual gigs, the prices of which we all can see, directly, but custom offers, right? For myself, for example, I’d say it’s probably as much as 95% custom offers vs 5% direct orders.

I don’t think this information is reliable at all.

If you are saying that this statistic is not reliable for getting the exact earnings - you are absolutely right! But my post is not about the financial accuracy of earnings (that’s why I intentionally rounded all the numbers to like $7.1m). My post is about comparing the categories with each other. That’s it. I’ve never intended to disclose any private numbers 🙂

@manucornel, or you think it’s not suitable even for a comparison? And thanks for your input, I love to get critiques!

The sellers who really want to get this data will get this data.

some Fiverr JS APIs provide more data than is shown.

Only if they understand what you’ve just written, which not everybody can (including me).

Mind you, somebody could start a gig to explain it and provide the data I suppose. 😉

So far I haven’t seen any real interest in these stats from people who commented, so there is absolutely no point for someone to make a gig on that 🙂

Thanks for sharing, it’s interesting, but like some others, I’m puzzled how you got to the average sales price.

Just to make sure - you’re aware of custom offers and that many sellers rarely sell the actual gigs, the prices of which we all can see, directly, but custom offers, right? For myself, for example, I’d say it’s probably as much as 95% custom offers vs 5% direct orders.

Just to make sure - you’re aware of custom offers and that many sellers rarely sell the actual gigs, the prices of which we all can see, directly, but custom offers, right?

@miiila, yes, I know that.

So far I haven’t seen any real interest in these stats from people who commented, so there is absolutely no point for someone to make a gig on that 🙂

So far I haven’t seen any real interest in these stats from people who commented,

I love stats but the 1st thing I read when I see some stats is the source and how a stat has been calculated.

As there is no sources cited and no explanation on the calculation, it’s not really interesting for me.

However, thanks for sharing!

I am happy to read that some people are trying to get some stats and analyse the business 😉

So far I haven’t seen any real interest in these stats from people who commented,

I am interested, hence my question, to make sure you have the actual average selling price in your stats and not a perceived one based on the gig prices.

As to what I’d be interested in seeing, Writing & Translation split up, but that’s just my personal preference, I’d have a look at any statistics related to Fiverr if they are reliable, really. I’ve read your post, liked it, commented, that does convey interest, to me. 😉

Guest merciavideo

So far I haven’t seen any real interest in these stats from people who commented

I’d say it’s quite the opposite - everyone who’s commented on the thread are interested in them - that’s why they’ve taken the time to comment, and to ask where and how you got the data.

If you don’t want to tell us then that’s fine, but people really are interested in how you came upon these numbers. 🙂

What you could do is give more detail on which categories are most likely to be the most profitable for people who can do the gigs in those categories. It could also take into account the amount of work likely to be involved (eg. in hours/days), eg. a rough profit per hour worked for each category (though the amount of time worked may be difficult to determine but maybe an estimate could be done based on the dates of the reviews, though this wouldn’t work for sellers who are actually teams eg. of many people or those who get other sellers to work on parts of the gig). Maybe it could show the average number of sales & selling price per seller in each category. Maybe it should also take into account (remove) Fiverr’s 20%.

What you could do is create a gig that showed the the gigs / gig categories that were most likely to give the most profit per hour worked based on someone’s existing info (eg. the gigs they currently have and the categories & subcategories they’re in, bio, qualifications & skills listed and skill scores and category scores within skills, courses taken etc.).

Archived