Fiverr Certainly Helped Me Out Here

emeraldawnn

Today I celebrate with gusto and much enthusiasm - My Altima (who I lovingly call Alli) is PAID OFF!

And, Fiverr was a big part of that! I’m so ecstatic about it.

In January, we owed $4,100. I paid on average $550 a month to get her paid off. Some months were more with the month of May being $900 paid on her because it was a REALLY fantastic month. Now, I can focus on the credit card - While I can pay off my PP credit as well, I’m holding off until the end of the month and paying it off should nothing happen in the meantime. Each time I had extra money, you better believe I paid more toward her.

It took us 5 years and 4 months - with one refinance - to pay her off.

This on top of a $500 credit card bill a month. I decided in lieu of paying the credit card in full each month to let it go for a couple of months and focus on my car. It’s paying off because I can also pay the credit card off next month (and it’s up to $1200).

I’m beyond giddy here! And, I just had to share my good news!

With the bump in pay from the school, I can start paying more on my student loans. I can put more money back toward the trip we’re taking next spring break.

Total giddiness!

Thanks y’all.

I can honestly say it felt weird to go into the lienholders account and see the word CLOSED next to the account. I celebrated by treating myself to some new clothes for the new job. Maurices is an awesome place to shop. They had a sale going on yesterday, and I got 3 shirts and 1 pair of pants for $51 (tax included). The one pair of pants is something I would never have worn at the kitchen job and I fit so nicely in them. I loved it. $8 for the pants.

Now, it’s time to tackle the credit card I allowed to build up. I can’t wait to pay that off too because I know it’s possible by the end of August. And, if nothing else bad happens, I’ll have my PP credit paid off too this month.

Getting out of debt - even with the student loan debt - is a great feeling. I’m lucky in that my student loan debt - while it’s a large amount ($27,000+) is locked in at the lowest rate in years (2.875%). Therefore, I pay around $60 to $80 a month in interest with the rest of it going to principal.

I’ve been told I missed my calling as a financial advisor. Perhaps they are right, but boy, do I LOVE writing!

Thanks y’all.

I can honestly say it felt weird to go into the lienholders account and see the word CLOSED next to the account. I celebrated by treating myself to some new clothes for the new job. Maurices is an awesome place to shop. They had a sale going on yesterday, and I got 3 shirts and 1 pair of pants for $51 (tax included). The one pair of pants is something I would never have worn at the kitchen job and I fit so nicely in them. I loved it. $8 for the pants.

Now, it’s time to tackle the credit card I allowed to build up. I can’t wait to pay that off too because I know it’s possible by the end of August. And, if nothing else bad happens, I’ll have my PP credit paid off too this month.

Getting out of debt - even with the student loan debt - is a great feeling. I’m lucky in that my student loan debt - while it’s a large amount ($27,000+) is locked in at the lowest rate in years (2.875%). Therefore, I pay around $60 to $80 a month in interest with the rest of it going to principal.

I’ve been told I missed my calling as a financial advisor. Perhaps they are right, but boy, do I LOVE writing!

Oh that student loan debt, don’t get me started. I would vote for the guy who says it all needs to be immediately forgiven for everyone. One of the candidates is saying that. It’s really bad when you graduate with that huge amount of debt.

I actually took a few courses long distance at one time toward being a financial advisor but it was so boring I couldn’t stand it. It was a two year program to get certified.

Oh that student loan debt, don’t get me started. I would vote for the guy who says it all needs to be immediately forgiven for everyone. One of the candidates is saying that. It’s really bad when you graduate with that huge amount of debt.

I actually took a few courses long distance at one time toward being a financial advisor but it was so boring I couldn’t stand it. It was a two year program to get certified.

When I first started college, my field of study was radio and broadcasting which meant my minor needed to be in something financial based on what I understood from the advisor. I tried to my hand at a macroeconomics course. Needless to say, halfway through the year, I dropped it. There was just no chance of me understanding it. Then I realized I needed to switch my field to news-ed and print journalism. I was able to get my minor switched to criminology, which is a much better field of study for me.

I am one of those weird individuals - I don’t mind paying my student loan debt (I racked it up and it’s my fault). I feel the problem lies with the education system itself. Too much prominence is given on getting a higher education for a better job, which isn’t always so.

For example, my husband has a BS and MS in history. So, unless he went and got a doctorate in history, there was hardly any chance of getting a job in museum work like he wanted. And, unless you want to teach, there’s just not many jobs for history majors. And, even history teachers don’t always make $50,000 a year like my husband is making at his job at the best factory our town has.

A college degree doesn’t instantaneously mean better jobs and higher pay. And, if anyone sells that line of bull is just in it for the money.

I may not be using my degree exclusively for what it was for, but it certainly allowed me to get to where I am today in some respects. I don’t regret and fully embrace my debt.

Thanks. If my story inspires others, then that’s awesome!

The problem is that people graduate with at least $50,000 of debt and can’t get a job and the interest keeps multiplying. There are homeless people who have college degrees with student loan debt. For some it’s an insurmountable problem. Their credit is ruined and they can’t rent an apartment.

The problem is that people graduate with at least $50,000 of debt and can’t get a job and the interest keeps multiplying. There are homeless people who have college degrees with student loan debt. For some it’s an insurmountable problem. Their credit is ruined and they can’t rent an apartment.

Absolutely a real problem, I agree.

And, I place the blame on those whose mindset is that the only way to get somewhere in life and have a great job is to have a college degree of some type. I also place a lot of the blame on universities with their endless need to build new buildings and pay more toward athletics.

The only reason I took out student loans was ASU’s decision to remove the tuition cap.

In 2000, I only had grants, which paid for every one of my classes - 15 to 18 hours. Anything after 12 hours was free. We paid up to 12 hours and if we took any hours after that, there was no cost. I had money leftover for my child and I to live off of and my books for the entire semester.

In fall 2001, the college decided to do with away that and rose tuition rates too. By the time I left, I was paying nearly $3k a semester, which was ridiculous. I went to school in the summer too and that was nearly $2,500 for both sessions.

These fees we paid were ridiculous. We paid parking fees, athletic fees, yearbook fees so many others that I never even used or partook in. There should have been a way to opt out of the things I didn’t use.

On top of that, now all incoming freshmen (not including locals) MUST stay in residence halls for their first year. Add that to another HUGE cost.

If my son had continued with ASU back in the fall of 2015. He would have paid $4,700 that semester alone! If he went to school for five years like I did, that’s more than $50,000 in paid to ASU when all is said done. That’s WAY TOO MUCH!

Thanks y’all.

My mind still boggles at the very idea of this being with you since graduating. Here the fees are a couple of thousand, generally paid in advance by parents or a summer job. Even at that they were only reintroduced during the big recession circa 2010 and are likely to be abolished again in the next few years.

Spoke with an American guy who is here to study Art and Design our National College of Art an Design. Even with a high cost of living here compared to where he is from, he will comfortably save around $60k over the 4 years of his course. And that is even with the increased fees for non-EU students!

Total social disobedience is needed over there; just everyone stop paying.

My mind still boggles at the very idea of this being with you since graduating. Here the fees are a couple of thousand, generally paid in advance by parents or a summer job. Even at that they were only reintroduced during the big recession circa 2010 and are likely to be abolished again in the next few years.

Spoke with an American guy who is here to study Art and Design our National College of Art an Design. Even with a high cost of living here compared to where he is from, he will comfortably save around $60k over the 4 years of his course. And that is even with the increased fees for non-EU students!

It’s outrageous here, such as what we are talking about. But it does keep people ignorant which is probably in some ways what is wanted. It was a real eye opener when I worked for a senator, how things are done by those in power.

I’ve already told my 13yo that if he wants college, he goes to community college first and then go to a university to get the studies he needs. However, if he wants to be the graphic design artist he’s been talking about, there’s no need to do college for it. Save himself the money and take courses elsewhere to give him the tools he needs.

The student loan debt is a HUGE problem, but like the healthcare issue, until the underlying problem of greed is addressed, it’s going to continue!

I’ve already told my 13yo that if he wants college, he goes to community college first and then go to a university to get the studies he needs. However, if he wants to be the graphic design artist he’s been talking about, there’s no need to do college for it. Save himself the money and take courses elsewhere to give him the tools he needs.

The student loan debt is a HUGE problem, but like the healthcare issue, until the underlying problem of greed is addressed, it’s going to continue!

And my debt is still with me because I was destitute for years and had my loans on forbearance and deferment for so long. It’s only the last 6 years that we’ve managed to get them done. My original balance at graduation was $31K. It hit $35K by the time I could start paying good on them. So, bringing them down from $35K to $27K in six years’ time isn’t all that bad.

For us, it boiled down to smart money management. I have a word document at home that helps me keep track of all my bills. Starting in September, after I pay off the credit card, I’m going to put $400 a month toward the student loan (maybe more depending on how much I make from the school really) and get it paid down as quickly as I can.

My next goal after paying off the credit and PP credit is to tackle one of our personal loans while also getting that student loan down.

I should mention that it’s my goal to pay my student loans off entirely in five years… At $400 a month, it brings me st 5.75 months. Again, depending on how much my job brings in. I may do more than that. Plus, any Fiverr money goes into the student loan payoff fund. 😃

Sometimes i feel really lucky that I got a scholarship for my BS and MS especially after hearing all this stories from the US with almost a lifetime loans for their studies.

All this “educational sector” sometimes looks like a bubble. In the UK you need MBA if you want to be promoted (on top of everything else you have) and it can cost around 50k£ Easily.

If you want to be promoted in the HR field you need to have your CIPD (on top your university degree) and it’s few levels up to level 9 (which can also cost up to 10k per level)

It’s just horrible how the system works sometimes.

Archived