Fiverr Commision is 20%: What do you think?

epiphanyanimati

poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Fiverr should take more commission!
    • Fiverr should take less (10%)
    • Fiverr should take the same amount it takes
    • Fiverr should split up the fee between the buyer and the seller

Hi, I’m a new seller on Fiverr (2 months now but still new seller with around 5 animated video orders completed).
I was just wondering what my fellow sellers (regardless of level) think about the Fiverr Commision. It is fair that they take 20%? Should they take less?
I personally think they should do this:
Implement a subscription charge as an option in addition to the commission. This way sellers have the option to pay less, though they are at a higher risk if they don’t make many sales. Fiverr is also guaranteed their money.
I also think Fiverr should split up the commission fee between buyers and sellers on orders over 20 bucks:
10% buyer
10% seller
or
15% seller
5% buyer.
I think 1/5 of our income is just too much.
Let us know your thoughts below!

0voters

0voters

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I’m a new seller on Fiverr (2 months now but still new seller with around 5 animated video orders completed).

I was just wondering what my fellow sellers (regardless of level) think about the Fiverr Commision. It is fair that they take 20%? Should they take less?

I personally think they should do this:

Implement a subscription charge as an option in addition to the commission. This way sellers have the option to pay less, though they are at a higher risk if they don’t make many sales. Fiverr is also guaranteed their money.

I also think Fiverr should split up the commission fee between buyers and sellers on orders over 20 bucks:

10% buyer

10% seller

or

15% seller

5% buyer.

I think 1/5 of our income is just too much.

Let us know your thoughts below!

0voters

0voters

I think 20% is more than fair. This is Fiverr’s site – Fiverr’s freelance platform – and if we choose to host our services here, we agree to that profit-sharing model. Fiverr is entitled to make a profit on their own site, and if you’re seriously complaining that you don’t think YOUR 80% profit is fair… perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses. You’re getting one heck of a fantastic deal at 80% profit!

I think 20% is more than fair. This is Fiverr’s site – Fiverr’s freelance platform – and if we choose to host our services here, we agree to that profit-sharing model. Fiverr is entitled to make a profit on their own site, and if you’re seriously complaining that you don’t think YOUR 80% profit is fair… perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses. You’re getting one heck of a fantastic deal at 80% profit!

i agree with you sir.

Anyone who has had experience setting up their own website and paying for web hosting, user interface design, mobile app support, e-commerce scripts, payment processors, invoicing, marketing/PR/SEO, support desk services, visitor stats/sales analytics, and etc - will surely appreciate what a great deal Fiverr offers by doing all this for a mere 20% cut.

I get your point and somewhat agree with you, but you don’t have to be rude about it. Thanks for your response.

I get your point and somewhat agree with you, but you don’t have to be rude about it. Thanks for your response.

I was not rude. I was honest, straightforward, and truthful in everything that I said.

I was not rude. I was honest, straightforward, and truthful in everything that I said.

I was not rude. I was honest

perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses.

Honest yes, but this part was rude and pretty discounting. I don’t think it was really necessary.

I was not rude. I was honest

perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses.

Honest yes, but this part was rude and pretty discounting. I don’t think it was really necessary.

Honest yes, but this part was kind of rude and discounting.

Not at all. If someone wishes to better understand how business, profit, and sales concepts work, the best way to learn is to, as I noted, “take a few business, math or accounting courses.”

I’m sorry if my commentary and advice disagrees with you. But it was, most definitely, honest, straightforward, and truthful. I find, in most cases with new sellers, such an approach IS necessary.

Just because you don’t agree with me, does not invalidate my advice.

Not at all. If someone wishes to better understand how business, profit, and sales concepts work, the best way to learn is to, as I noted, “take a few business, math or accounting courses.”

I’m sorry if my commentary and advice disagrees with you. But it was, most definitely, honest, straightforward, and truthful. I find, in most cases with new sellers, such an approach IS necessary.

Let’s just agree to disagree on what constitutes rudeness. It’s not about your advice, but the way you phrased it.

Let’s just agree to disagree on what constitutes rudeness. It’s not about your advice, but the way you phrased it.

Sure. We can agree to disagree on how I phrased my advice. 🙂

We could have a tiered system:
20% - Level 0-1
10% - Level 2
5% - TRS

Or it could be based by income, so by the time you’ve made $10,000 on the site, your commission drops from 20% to 10%.

Of course, for Fiverr it’s much easier to leave everything at 20%. Just imagine the programming they would have to do to change things, not to mention the education campaign, the confusion it would create.

Either way, the 80% you make is more important than the 20% you lose.

We could have a tiered system:

20% - Level 0-1

10% - Level 2

5% - TRS

Or it could be based by income, so by the time you’ve made $10,000 on the site, your commission drops from 20% to 10%.

Of course, for Fiverr it’s much easier to leave everything at 20%. Just imagine the programming they would have to do to change things, not to mention the education campaign, the confusion it would create.

Either way, the 80% you make is more important than the 20% you lose.

I like how you see the cup half full and not empty.

Yes, but 80 percent profit on what?

You still have to factor in normal business fees (also in accounting?) like:

Overhead

Labor

Software Fees or Equipment

However, without Fiverr, there would be no sales, so I guess it’s still pretty great to be honest!

😃

No one said your advice wasn’t valid. Your arguing against a point no one made. They said it was rude… because it was. You can teach someone something new and get your point across without being rude. You can be honest without being rude. It isn’t difficult either.

The cup is 80% full, 20% empty.

Look, I’m not a positive thinker, I’m not going to tell you to look for the silver lining, the bright side, and any of that BS.

It’s just that realistically speaking, you’re still making 80% of every order. That is HUGE.

Today for example I had 3 orders worth $40. I’m making $32, Fiverr is keeping $8. Is that so bad? These orders came with no Facebook advertising, no bidding, no hassles.

The 20% is so irrelevant. Why freak out over $8? Even if you had a $4,000 order, your commission is only $800.

Honestly, it seems to me some people would rather make $0 than pay commission. I get that when it comes to Lyft and Uber. I hate driving for Lyft, hate waiting for a passenger to finally request my services, hate getting paid $0.10 per minute plus very little per mile, not to mention smelly passengers, wear and tear on the car, the gas expense, etc.

Lyft drivers earned an average of about $17.50 per hour. This is not a lot. I would rather earn $50 to $100 a day on Fiverr than drive 6 hours to make that amount.

If I had a brick and mortar office for my little business I would have the following expenses:
Rent
Heat
Electricity
Phone
Advertising
Furniture
Internet connection

Becoming a freelancer on Fiverr did not cost anything in addition to the expenses I already had and Fiverr advertises for me.

Without Fiverr, I would be restricted in the number of customers who came into my office from my sparsely populated town. With Fiverr, I have the whole world from which to find buyers. I do not think giving Fiverr 20% is asking too much of Fiverr.

I do not understand what you thought was rude about this?

Telling someone “perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses” is essentially calling the gentleman ignorant - because of a lack of course work. It was that phrasing I thought was rude and unnecessary.

Telling someone “perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses” is essentially calling the gentleman ignorant - because of a lack of course work. It was that phrasing I thought was rude and unnecessary.

Telling someone “perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses” is essentially calling the gentleman ignorant - because of a lack of course work. I think that’s rude.

Is it really necessary to keep arguing your views on my phrasing? This topic is about Fiverr’s 20% commission. I offered straightforward advice to the OP – who, I might add, specifically asked for the thoughts of anyone who wanted to reply. People who understand my advice, and my persona here on the forums, were not offended. People who wanted a “bunny rabbit answer” were.

I am not going to apologize for being candid, direct, or honest.

This is how I address many issues here on the forums, and forum users largely appreciate my direct nature. In fact, many forum users have even taken my candid advice to heart, and are now succeeding as Fiverr sellers. I can share their words of support, and their “thank you for helping me succeed” comments if you wish.

People will disagree with you, people will speak more directly than you, and people will pursue a bolder approach than you. We are all different, and we all communicate on different levels. I was not wrong to be direct. And I will not cease to be so, as long as my direct comments continue to inspire others, help them succeed, and allow them to take a broader approach to their struggles.

You are a “content writer”, Danno. Surely you understand the value and importance of well-crafted words. You continue to talk in your voice. And I will continue to talk in mine.

In the end, I’m here to help others. I will help in the way that resonates the most.

Archived