Fiverr Community Forum

Fiverr makes almost as much as sellers $7 gig = $4 to Sellers $3 to Fiverr FEE

Great, but not everyone can do that. There are many of us who lose money and get no orders when we raise our prices. I’m also not interested in wasting money advertising my gigs on Facebook like some sellers do! Spending money to make money is old school. Fiverr is the new school where you spend $0 and make money.

Yeah? Well maybe I want that buyer. I’m no math genius, but I know 20 orders times $4 equals $80, I also know that a $5 buyer can become a $10, even a $20 buyer.

Now you’re the one putting words in my mouth, how ironic. For the record, I follow the American dictum of “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.” Fiverr isn’t broken yet they keep fixing it! Ridiculous.

Besides, I follow Fiverr on Facebook. Using models with tattoos in their posts isn’t very mature or corporate or expensive. It’s quite the opposite. Fiverr’s even has a YouTube video called “It’s Time To Get Sh*t Done.” Not exactly IBM or Bank of America, isn’t it?

In all my years working in advertising, I’ve never had a client that would allow me to use or imply the s-word.

My #1 competitor charges $10 and his queue is always long, 5 to 15. I’ve seen plenty of affordable sellers succeeding.

BS, I positioned myself as a higher-priced seller and it didn’t work. I need orders every day, not every week or once a month! I need my place on the first row, that can only happen with sales volume. If you don’t get enough orders, you fall from the first row and that hurts your business.

2 Likes

Well then, I guess we don’t need things like Super Bowl commercials anymore. :roll_eyes:

(…which, I might add, are HUGELY successful when it comes to making money.)

Oh, my. You really are trying to set yourself up for failure, aren’t you? The rest of the business world invests in their businesses in order to reap from their businesses, and here you are, sitting on Fiverr waiting for random magic to happen.

I don’t know whether I should weep for your future, or just shake my head and walk away. I see where you are heading, and it is no ones’s fault but your own.

Right. You went to advertising school, and yet, you refuse to use what you learned to advertise and grow your business. I can’t help questioning the logic in that.

Fiverr is changing. You can get on that boat of change, or you can sink like the Titanic. I really hope you don’t choose the Titanic route. That didn’t end well for for the Titanic. Everyone thought she the height of modernity, the definition of success… everyone thought she was unsinkable… and yet… she sank.

And you know what… her sinking was easily avoidable, yet, no one took the action necessary to avoid it because, well, they thought she was unsinkable.

Innovate or sink. There are no other options.

2 Likes

Pets dot com went bankrupt shortly after advertising on the Superbowl. Their mistake? They weren’t prepared for the amount of orders they would get, they dropped the ball, then nobody wanted anything to do with them. So you see? Not everyone needs to advertise on the Superbowl. Personally, I see it as a huge waste of money for most clients. So unless your client has deep pockets like Nissan, Budweisser, etc, I wouldn’t recommend it.

The rest of the business world suffers 9 to 6 commutes, traffic, business licenses, red tape, and a bunch of BS. You want to follow them? Be my guest. I work on Fiverr, which is the better alternative.

Today I had $100 in sales with no advertising. So you see? Random magic happens when you do the work, and I’ve done the work.

I didn’t just go to advertising school, I worked for SEVERAL advertising agencies. Furthermore, everyone who works in advertising knows 50% of the money is wasted, and they don’t know which 50%. Advertising is GAMBLING. It’s not a science, it’s an art. Science has predictable results, advertising never does. Remember Pepsi’s Kendall Jenner disaster? This people did everything by the book
Diversity? Check
An original idea? Check
Topical? Check

The result was a commercial everyone hated, Pepsi was called racist. So you see? The “geniuses” don’t always know what they’re doing, 99% of the time they’re guessing, they just hide their guessing with cool PowerPoint presentations.

Fiverr doesn’t need to change. Either way, I don’t care, I will survive somehow, I will wait for all these changes to pass.

3 Likes

@fastcopywriter, you hardly responded to my comments. You just continued to argue why your doom and gloom view of Fiverr (and now advertising) is correct. Discussions with you rarely go anywhere, because you rarely listen to what others try to tell you.

For someone who doesn’t care, you sure are vocal about your utter disgust for these changes, here on the forums. You are a man of many odd and illogical contradictions.

I wish you luck, though, as you try to survive without innovating or embracing change. That hasn’t worked out well for other major companies like CompUSA, Blockbuster Video, Younkers, etc. Sitting around, hoping things change for you, while ignoring the need to innovate and keep up with your competition is how those three companies fell from grace. And there are many more once-well-known companies and businesses just like those three.

Good luck waiting for the future to pass, and the old to become dominant again. To my knowledge, that has never happened in the history of modern business. But, maybe you’ll be the first business to make that happen.

Meanwhile, I think I’ll work with Fiverr, work to innovate and grow my services, and continue to strive to be the kind of Doer Fiverr trusts in.

3 Likes

This is not a trial, I don’t have to answer every comment.

Furthermore, you’re wrong about Blockbuster. They did try to innovate, they created those kiosks and eve a Netflix-like DVD-by-the-mail system. But alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

You speak like one of those idealists who think Innovation = Positive Action. That is not the case, some companies are doomed to failure no matter what they do.

I will make gradual change, sensible changes, but I’m not going to run after every fad there is.

LOL, you dare to speak for Fiverr? Only Fiverr speaks for Fiverr!

2 Likes

Umm. :thinking: I “dared” to reference Fiverr’s tagline, “In Doers We Trust”.

1 Like

If they trusted doers, there wouldn’t have so many rules, gigs that are now illegal, demotions, etc.

Now they increase fees which means less orders, less profits, less doing.

3 Likes

Really? Processing fees are up? I can barely notice, when I order something, I do it from my Fiverr balance - there is no processing fee on that.
If there is a way to have a balance topped up for buyers only (who do not sell), Fiverr should promote it. Or they should find a better payment processor. Or, simply call it Fiverr Fee, do not blame it on processing, when it takes max 1% for them as they are big enough to negotiate.

2 Likes

If this is true, I’m sure. All poor buyers will leave from fiverr then Order volume will go down!!

3 Likes

It is quite simple really. Low cost orders cost Fiverr a higher percentage to deal with so they cost a higher percentage. It’s not rocket science. If a $5 order takes even a few minutes of CS time then Fiverr actually make a loss on that order based on the cost of CS wages.
If you add to that, the general consensus that I have seen which is that $5 orders tend to cause more problems, then it makes sense for the price to increase so that the higher value orders are not simply subsidizing the others. Most buying instances could solve this with buying more at a time - pay $10+2 instead of $5+2 and you already have a much improved value ratio.

If you are still unsure about this, just read up about cost of sales and how it affects pricing/fees in any business.

9 Likes

gig

Apple Logo Designer joins Fiverr!!
It’s time for sellers to think ahead of $5!!

5 Likes

Today’s word of the day is compromise:
an agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

Here’s the problem as I see it - Fiverr still has an identity crisis.

Yes, you can pay $5 for a logo design or you can spend $10,000 as @rahulgraphics kindly demonstrated above.

So, Fiverr wants to move up in the world - fabulous, but we still seem to see so many stories of sellers having to put up with PayPal chargebacks for quite large amounts, and there’s little can be done about it which seems to be accepted by sellers and Fiverr with a shrug of the shoulders.

Ordered by mistake - no problem - you can have your money back and we’ll just penalise your seller - we know it’s not really their fault, but we haven’t worked out how to solve it without hiring loads of extra staff, so you’ll need to put up with it a bit longer until we sort something out.

So yes, both sides of the $5 is bad, $5 is good argument are quite right in some ways, but stuff needs to be done behind the scenes to bring the infrastructure up to how it should be if we’re all to be comfortable offering higher priced gigs.

There are loads of other things as well, like the never ending ‘beta tests’ etc. but they can wait for another day! :sunny::slightly_smiling_face:

Added - thanks to @catwriter with whom I chatted about this earlier in the week! :smiley_cat:

17 Likes

What would happen if chargeback happens on 10k logo design? Fiverr doesn’t think of that at all

3 Likes

I have to say, because I think I might not have been clear about this in the past, that I dont think there is anything wrong with offering gigs at $5. However, it really depends on the category. In my work, I get lots of $5 “test orders” which lead to much bigger jobs and if I didnt have that option I might not get the big ones.

The reason I suggest that most sellers should price at a higher starting point is because what they are offering is worth more and/or there is a definite market out there for a higher price point which allows you as a seller to give a higher quality of work resulting in a happier buyer.

When someone promises “an outstanding logo design for $5” and delivers a mediocre customized template, the buyer is quite right to be unhappy with that, even if their expectations were unrealistic. They paid the price asked, so they expect the product that was described. If the seller priced higher and thus allowed more time to actually create an outstanding logo design then the buyer would be happier.

8 Likes

That’s a really good point - thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Until the PayPal chargeback problem is sorted out (and I know that as a percentage of total sales it must be very small), I’ll only offer gigs which are basically ‘did she do what she said she would in the gig description?’ - yes, she did - fabulous. Any form of creativity which could result in a larger order and therefore a larger chargeback is out the window for me I’m afraid - I just wouldn’t want the hassle, the lost money would be a secondary issue to be honest.

7 Likes

That is totally true.

For me, some work takes few minutes to finish, and I can’t really charge more then $5. But in another hand, some jobs takes really long, so you need to charge much higher. All depends on actual job.

4 Likes

I don’t think this whole thing is irrelevant at all, @techcab makes a good point in my opinion. After all, if the buyers think it’s not worth it spending their money on us sellers, we won’t make any money at all or don’t get orders because there aren’t going to be as many buyers as there are sellers. After all, Fiverr only works if demand and offers go hand in hand.

3 Likes

$5 is just $5!!
It has no value if a buyer says “the gig is ordered by mistake”. While if the same gig is offered at a higher price, would a buyer order it by mistake? the answer is simply NO!! until and unless if a buyer has some bad intention, such as ruining your fiverr profile.

If the gig is offered at a higher price:
The buyer will double check as what is offered in the gig for the price he/she is about to pay. A buyer will certainly reach you in the INBOX to get a clarification on the gig prices if he/she is unsure. He/She won’t order your gig by mistake.

There should be some amendment in the Cancellation policy regarding such issues, at least they should not count in the evaluation.

1 Like

I had a gig which should have cost the buyer $20 - they ordered $130 worth by mistake, so I’m afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. :slightly_smiling_face:

The base price of the gig has no relevance on the ‘order by mistake’ scenario.

Agreed!

5 Likes

How’s that possible?

Quantity of 6 = $20*6 =$120. The buyer might have ordered some extras. (is it like that?)

1 Like