Fiverr Forum

Fiverr suddenly started charging me a 0.5$ as a "processing fee" [Resolved]

Is this normal? The first gigs that I bought I did not need to pay any extras. Now, when I buy a gig there is an extra cost of 0.5$ as a processing fee.

Wow. And I finally found an artist on Fiverr whose work I enjoy enough to order some book covers. So far I’ve just gotten one finished, but I’m seriously wondering if I should order anything else. I do NOT want to lend any kind of support to this greed. If I do go ahead with it, I’m going to get all three of the covers I need out of the way and then just leave Fiverr for good.

I’ve already quit as a seller. They’ll be losing me as a buyer too. Such a shame. They HAD a good thing going. If anyone knows of some alternatives, feel free to inbox me.

Reply to @kjblynx: I’ve looked around on Google. Finding a lot of junk sites and getting frustrated.

Reply to @jonbaas: You keep spewing the same crap in response to those with legitimate complaints.

This charge was UNANNOUNCED. You don’t just spring a monetary surprise on your customers without some sort of announcement. It’s terrible business ethics and hurts business in the long run. Even in brick and mortar stores (which you also keep referring to), there will be something (a flyer, a newspaper announcement, etc) informing customers of the upcoming fees/changes/etc.

Fiverr has not done this. It just showed up. This is what is turning people off - a blindside.

Yes fee’s are crazy. I have already had buyers saying they are moving to other sites.

Come on guys, arent us sellers making you enough money already?

I have spent $33,877 until now, and about $500 per week. I don’t understand why fiverr start to ask fees from seller & buyer together.

Fiverr believe we can’t leave it?? I don’t think so. 20% is a high ratio for seller, but sellers still stay in fiverr, that’s for buyer like to use fiverr.

Now, buyer have to pay extra Processing Fee. It’s not $5 any more. I belive this action will make many buyers leave fiverr. If no order, and why seller still stay here?

At last, I think fiverr need to change below words ASAP。

“FIVERR®, GIG®, GIGS®, I WILL __ for $5™, The Things People Do For $5™”

Fiverr50 should be the new name. I order a lot from Fiverr and enjoy doing business with everyone here. I actually just made a purchase and noticed the .50 extra. I know it is minuscule, and I will still order, but it is enough for me to reconsider what I order and how much.

IMO, I don’t think it was the wisest for Fivver to do. Let’s say now I order 10% less because of the fee, sure they get the extra .50 per order but they now get 10% less of my money…so does that extra fee make up for the loss in purchased revenue from me??

Wow I guess I should go back and read the new TOS fully as had only skimmed it earlier. Missed that part in there.

The fee is payable on ALL purchases.

20% isn’t enough anymore? Ridiculous. I think they will lost people over this.

Only thought is maybe they’re growing their staff and didn’t know how to do it for sure other than to charge a slightly higher rate per order.

This time it is 5% on buyers side, next time will be 5% on sellers side - 25% of each order you get :smiley:

Reply to @m2webs:

Let’s not jump to conclusions. That doesn’t help this discussion. :wink:

The fees are already steep for sellers, now they’re charging extra to the customers too. It’s a bit ridiculous. My customer who was not charged a fee last week, placed a new order today and was charged the new fee. Although the customer was nice to ask me what it is, I was surprised and concerned. Many of my returning customers may now go away. I too may leave Fiverr. :frowning:

I mean, think about it – Fiverr is charging a processing fee to obtain the money, then they charge us (the sellers) a processing fee to give us the money, then PayPal charges us a fee to transmit the money to our account. Three fees before it reaches our pocket. I understand Fiverr has to make money too, but aren’t there other ways?

I went over this in my thread, but according to the paypal User Agreement:
4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
Perhaps those who answer legal questions for a gig can splice this better than I, but it does appear that Fiverr is inconsistent with Paypal's user agreement.

For me, this extra charge will lessen my purchases on Fiverr. (Err, make that Fiver fifty-center...)

So basically if I tell the buyer “your picture costs $50”, it’s actually $52.5? How am I going to explain this and make them accept? This is ridiculous, and risk of cancellation on large order.

While I’m glad it’s not on the sellers’ side this time, I’m angry for my customers. They have to pay fee to buy something and if the seller mess up and cancel, they still can’t get their money back.

Now I’m wondering in this case will they get $5.5 or just $5?

And then come to the revenue number on the bar “$0.0”. If it’s not for this $0.5 charge, they’re planing something for sellers too.

4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Perhaps those who answer legal questions for a gig can splice this better than I, but it does appear that Fiverr is inconsistent with Paypal’s user agreement.

For me, this extra charge will lessen my purchases on Fiverr. - See more at: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/47278/fiverr-suddenly-started-charging-me-a-0-5-as-a-processing-fee#sthash.rKuwv8Q2.dpuf

Reply to @kjblynx:

Perhaps those who answer legal questions for a gig can splice this better than I, but it does appear that Fiverr is inconsistent with Paypal’s user agreement.

For me, this extra charge will lessen my purchases on Fiverr.

Reply to @arlissa:

It is also against Paypal regulations…

For me, this extra charge will lessen my purchases on Fiverr. - See more at: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/47278/fiverr-suddenly-started-charging-me-a-0-5-as-a-processing-fee#sthash.rKuwv8Q2.dpuf