Fiverr's advertising campaign photo's dubbed "depressive"!

brandonmcfee

I have never felt depressed my self. Sometimes it gets really confusing but not depressing at all.

It has become fashionable to be negative in our world, not just on Fiverr, on almost everything. Happiness or sadness is a choice you make, it’s how you want to be, not a fait accompli.

Wow, it’s like some people have never read up on the debate regarding how the globalization of freelance work has resulted in plummeting general prices (among other issues). That’s what this ad indirectly touches on with it’s ridiculous “eat coffee” and follow-through (do I need to point out again that this is UK slang for a shart?)

Of course, the antidote to that is to re-position as a professional consultant, and engage in better marketing–and you’ll see that plenty of these people refuse to see the benefit that Fiverr has to offer when they’re making six-figure income from their own efforts. You can see some of them parachute into the forum sometimes full of outrage.

I like how the two commentators above me have focused on how they feel about working on the platform in response to an article that is about perceptions of an advert that has pretty much been panned by everyone from here to eternity. Still, at least there hasn’t been a deeply tedious post about Indian socio-politics rammed in here… yet.

It’s not about happiness or sadness, writer. It’s about exploitation. That is what the ad basically says to anyone with a gnat’s fluff of awareness.

Wow, it’s like some people have never read up on the debate regarding how the globalization of freelance work has resulted in plummeting general prices (among other issues). That’s what this ad indirectly touches on with it’s ridiculous “eat coffee” and follow-through (do I need to point out again that this is UK slang for a shart?)

Of course, the antidote to that is to re-position as a professional consultant, and engage in better marketing–and you’ll see that plenty of these people refuse to see the benefit that Fiverr has to offer when they’re making six-figure income from their own efforts. You can see some of them parachute into the forum sometimes full of outrage.

I like how the two commentators above me have focused on how they feel about working on the platform in response to an article that is about perceptions of an advert that has pretty much been panned by everyone from here to eternity. Still, at least there hasn’t been a deeply tedious post about Indian socio-politics rammed in here… yet.

It’s not about happiness or sadness, writer. It’s about exploitation. That is what the ad basically says to anyone with a gnat’s fluff of awareness.

Who is getting exploited? You choose to work or not to work. You set your own prices. Why are you so negative? Are you from the Indian media 😜

Oh, and as usual, the comments (now closed) bash Fiverr and link to the following article. No matter what the ad campaign, Fiverr has a significant image issue that won’t be solved by a shit ad campaign (let’s take a moment to recall how PDP worked for them)

c809c7151a7c5f63641e2ca0b05fd8eb?s=32Hannah Keet – 1 Mar 17
pexels-photo.jpg?w=1200&fit=440%2C330

Fiverr: Do you get what you pay for? (Part 2)

A friend and translation colleague, Natalie Soper, recently messaged me to tell me about a friend of hers who was considering using Fiverr to translate professional texts. The text needed to be tra…

@miiila, you may find the article interesting (Fiverr FR–>EN translation moans)

Not everyone is being exploited, writer, but to pretend that Fiverr isn’t a platform that is exploitative in multiple ways is to be blind. Buyers exploit, sellers exploit, Fiverr exploits. Not everyone, not all the time, and not always deliberately. But it is there. Why not read the various complaints on the forum instead of piously going on about negativity from your attic?

‘You eat coffee for lunch. You follow through on your follow through. Sleep deprivation is your drug of choice. You might be a doer.’

It all depends on your individual point of view. I identify with what this ad says.

And I don’t feel exploited.

It didn’t occur to me that this was a bad thing, to be like this.

‘You eat coffee for lunch. You follow through on your follow through. Sleep deprivation is your drug of choice. You might be a doer.’

It all depends on your individual point of view. I identify with what this ad says.

And I don’t feel exploited.

It didn’t occur to me that this was a bad thing, to be like this.

Exactly. If anything I was depressed before Fiverr, and Fiverr gave me a purpose in life and made me happy. Been happy every day I have been here, since 3 years.

It really is a matter of opportunities and skills, and how much effort and money you’re willing to invest on the get go.
Fiverr is an easy and good way to start. But you end up paying for that later on - you are in direct competition with people who offer ridiculous prices, you get the occasional bad review or face Fiverr issues that affect your sales ( even if you haven’t done anything to deserve that) etc, etc.
There are always two sides to every story, and people with alternatives are more likely to spot the problems with anything. Otherwise you just LOVE IT ALL FOREVER! 🙂

Who is getting exploited? You choose to work or not to work. You set your own prices. Why are you so negative? Are you from the Indian media 😜

In India being able to earn $10 an hour is a huge opportunity for most people, in England it’s a disaster.

In India being able to earn $10 an hour is a huge opportunity for most people, in England it’s a disaster.

They can raise their prices and make a LOT of money like @emmaki does.

They can raise their prices and make a LOT of money like @emmaki does.

It’s not as simple as that. In some cases you really need to make a leap in skills before you can compete on the global marketplace. For every Emmaki there are a ten people with mediocre skills losing out to average writers from lower income countries that are able to work for less than minimum wage in the UK.

It’s not as simple as that. In some cases you really need to make a leap in skills before you can compete on the global marketplace. For every Emmaki there are a ten people with mediocre skills losing out to average writers from lower income countries that are able to work for less than minimum wage in the UK.

Well, I’m not an average writer 😛

Well, I’m not an average writer 😛

Fiverr is ideally suited to a certain kind of person. I think that ad makes that point, and you either get it or you don’t. Some see the kind of non-stop, sleep deprived self employed lifestyle as bad, others see it as fitting in with their personalities and abilities.

Oh, and as usual, the comments (now closed) bash Fiverr and link to the following article. No matter what the ad campaign, Fiverr has a significant image issue that won’t be solved by a shit ad campaign (let’s take a moment to recall how PDP worked for them)

c809c7151a7c5f63641e2ca0b05fd8eb?s=32Hannah Keet – 1 Mar 17
pexels-photo.jpg?w=1200&fit=440%2C330

Fiverr: Do you get what you pay for? (Part 2)

A friend and translation colleague, Natalie Soper, recently messaged me to tell me about a friend of hers who was considering using Fiverr to translate professional texts. The text needed to be tra…

Not everyone is being exploited, writer, but to pretend that Fiverr isn’t a platform that is exploitative in multiple ways is to be blind. Buyers exploit, sellers exploit, Fiverr exploits. Not everyone, not all the time, and not always deliberately. But it is there. Why not read the various complaints on the forum instead of piously going on about negativity from your attic?

[details=translation moans]

Yeah, thanks, I read both articles - the two friends and translators cross-moaned on their blogs.

They ‘tested’ five fiverr translators I think, and I guess they didn´t choose them based on their own criteria for good translators (native speakers, only translating one language pair, only translating into one direction unless grew up bilingual etc.), smart buyers would look out for those things. They bemoaned some things that wouldn´t have happened to them with a lot of fiverr translators, had they chosen wisely and not to make a point, I think.

Their articles show a few things that might well happen to buyers if they won´t pick their translators carefully though, and, yes, as they chose examples with low prices and did some maths to show they work for 1£/hour or so, you can take that as an example for exploitation, though, isn´t it self-exploitation really, but that leads us down a rabbit hole as long as the channel tunnel, so FIN. If they had chosen gigs by translators whose profile and gig description would pass their ‘what a good translator is/does criteria’ and maybe had chosen some who take, like, half of what they take themselves, I daresay the result of that ‘test’ might have looked a bit different.[/details]

However, what’s the topic of this thread, wasn´t translation, was it…depressive ad campaign…the caffeinated sleep deprived woman staring at us…drug of your choice…maybe their PR team thought the 90s heroin chic thing and the benetton ads outcry have been forgotten by all those many people with the attention span of a vole so they could respin it and seem daring and novel.

It´s advertising. shrugs

The sleep deprived coffee woman one seems unrealistic to me, and I like the tattoed guy who first does than asks forgiveness one - can´t find the latter one depressing and the former one, well, it probably makes some people curious whether the woman is really a ‘doer’ or just a model, and that´s it, probably, for most.

It will get more people to google ‘fiverr’ than no ads would, some of them might book a gig, some of them might set up a gig. And I don´t think they expect all of us to not sleep and only eat coffee, or start to only eat coffee and to not sleep.

Metro is a pretty trashy free newspaper that’s given away for free on the London Underground (or Metro, in yankspeak) and railway stations around the UK (I think…). It’s also a part of the Daily Mail Group. So it’s false news too!

We’ve reached out to Fiverr to ask them what they were thinking, and will update this story if we hear back.

Pft.

d4c7ed99c07a00c53309d835d78316a8cc36af60107131bed123b3f056b5e5bf.jpg.83d4a0b3f734ec8150926024acdac730.jpg

[details=translation moans]

Yeah, thanks, I read both articles - the two friends and translators cross-moaned on their blogs.

They ‘tested’ five fiverr translators I think, and I guess they didn´t choose them based on their own criteria for good translators (native speakers, only translating one language pair, only translating into one direction unless grew up bilingual etc.), smart buyers would look out for those things. They bemoaned some things that wouldn´t have happened to them with a lot of fiverr translators, had they chosen wisely and not to make a point, I think.

Their articles show a few things that might well happen to buyers if they won´t pick their translators carefully though, and, yes, as they chose examples with low prices and did some maths to show they work for 1£/hour or so, you can take that as an example for exploitation, though, isn´t it self-exploitation really, but that leads us down a rabbit hole as long as the channel tunnel, so FIN. If they had chosen gigs by translators whose profile and gig description would pass their ‘what a good translator is/does criteria’ and maybe had chosen some who take, like, half of what they take themselves, I daresay the result of that ‘test’ might have looked a bit different.[/details]

However, what’s the topic of this thread, wasn´t translation, was it…depressive ad campaign…the caffeinated sleep deprived woman staring at us…drug of your choice…maybe their PR team thought the 90s heroin chic thing and the benetton ads outcry have been forgotten by all those many people with the attention span of a vole so they could respin it and seem daring and novel.

It´s advertising. shrugs

The sleep deprived coffee woman one seems unrealistic to me, and I like the tattoed guy who first does than asks forgiveness one - can´t find the latter one depressing and the former one, well, it probably makes some people curious whether the woman is really a ‘doer’ or just a model, and that´s it, probably, for most.

It will get more people to google ‘fiverr’ than no ads would, some of them might book a gig, some of them might set up a gig. And I don´t think they expect all of us to not sleep and only eat coffee, or start to only eat coffee and to not sleep.

Love your “translation moans” response. Also, both “professional” translators decided that, in a tourism article (their own specialty), the word “seduce” should be downgraded to “attractive” despite the fact that the whole French tourist industry relies on the fact that France (the people, language, food, architecture) is seen as being incredibly seductive - full of romance and sexuality.

Love your “translation moans” response. Also, both “professional” translators decided that, in a tourism article (their own specialty), the word “seduce” should be downgraded to “attractive” despite the fact that the whole French tourist industry relies on the fact that France (the people, language, food, architecture) is seen as being incredibly seductive - full of romance and sexuality.

Also, both “professional” translators decided that $5 should cover not only the translation, but the research and the explanations for the English-speaking audience, as well.

lol Yes, I noticed that too, so some buyers might be happier with results they might get from fiverr translators who aren´t so hostile regarding romantic and s****l undertones or even overtones. I don´t think someone who’d give me a text with ‘seductive’ would like to get a downgrade to attractive really.

lol Yes, I noticed that too, so some buyers might be happier with results they might get from fiverr translators who aren´t so hostile regarding romantic and s****l undertones or even overtones. I don´t think someone who’d give me a text with ‘seductive’ would like to get a downgrade to attractive really.

The title could be changed to “You get what you are looking for” - in the blog writer’s case, this was evidence that Fiverr is bad. Had they actually looked for people to do the job well then the outcome would be different. While I have hired a Venezuelan to do English to Spanish translation, it would not occur to me to seek one for French to English as they are not native in either, but maybe that’s just me…

Metro is a pretty trashy free newspaper that’s given away for free on the London Underground (or Metro, in yankspeak) and railway stations around the UK (I think…). It’s also a part of the Daily Mail Group. So it’s false news too!

We’ve reached out to Fiverr to ask them what they were thinking, and will update this story if we hear back.

Pft.

As far as I can recall, I had never read that newspaper (I´m not familiar to that newspaper) until I found that article. I only searched related articles on Google since the OP brought the topic up and I found that article. To me, it doesn´t matter what people say, bad or good, I must prove it myself. Like I have heard from some people that this country is bad, that country as good, this person is good, that person is bad, blablabla.

Archived