Fivver punishes sellers for doing the right thing

raybiddle

I have a client who was being pressured to spend unnecessary money. That wasn’t Fiverr related. I canceled the job but both of us agreed this was best.

Fiverr should look at a situation and not punish sellers for being good humans.

Fiverr should look at a situation and not punish sellers for being good humans.

Did you ask customer support about this? We can’t give an opinion without knowing the details but I’ve had them do what you are saying.

To do what? This is very unclear.

A lady wrote a book (Years ago). The book was found by a scam production company, they told her she should have a script written. She booked me. Turns out the script would be used by said production company to keep her in a cycle of spending money. I did some research, the company was a scam. I told the lady I would not hold her to spending money and canceled the Fiverr gig. Fiver punished me.

A lady wrote a book (Years ago). The book was found by a scam production company, they told her she should have a script written. She booked me. Turns out the script would be used by said production company to keep her in a cycle of spending money. I did some research, the company was a scam. I told the lady I would not hold her to spending money and canceled the Fiverr gig. Fiver punished me.

@raybiddle What did the lady say after you told her this?

@raybiddle What did the lady say after you told her this?

She was gracious and thankful I did the research. She didn’t need a screenplay for this book. She will talk to me in the future for other services. I won’t take someone’s money for something they’re scammed into. It’s not right. Sure, I could use her money. Even if Fiverr, feels justified in dropping my completion %, I won’t screw people. Fiverr needs to protect their sellers better.

She was gracious and thankful I did the research. She didn’t need a screenplay for this book. She will talk to me in the future for other services. I won’t take someone’s money for something they’re scammed into. It’s not right. Sure, I could use her money. Even if Fiverr, feels justified in dropping my completion %, I won’t screw people. Fiverr needs to protect their sellers better.

You did the right thing Ray. 👍 Fiverr is in business to make $ and at odds with cancelling orders for any reason. So they discourage it. But the analytics is very forgiving of a cancellation now and then as far as not dropping your level.

Turns out the script would be used by said production company to keep her in a cycle of spending money. I did some research, the company was a scam.

It is really refreshing to hear that you were able to help someone in this way. However, there is no way Fiverr can protect you in this kind of situation. Nor should there be.

Whether you are a buyer or a seller, you are responsible for your own decisions. Your buyer was very lucky to have you point out the scam they were being played by. However, it was really their fault they were being played. (Clearly, they didn’t do the same research you did into the company playing them.)

If I was in your position, I would have told the buyer they are being scammed. However, I would not have offered to cancel their order. I would have suggested ways they can use the script you would have provided independently.

Whether your buyer would have used your script wouldn’t be your concern, What you are forgetting here, is that you did provide a valuable service by pointing out this scam to your buyer. If I was that buyer, I would appreciate the fact and let you keep the money for my order, and leave you a glowing review.

I have recently been in a similar situation. I have a buyer ordering ebook blurbs for a click funnel site, (Maybe this is even the same scam.) What I have done is provided these but also advised the buyer to publish their books on places like Smaswords for maximum exposure and sales opportunities. As it happens, they have been very appreciative of this advice and left me a generous tip as a result.

In short, never cancel in situations like this. Instead, upsell by offering solutions to your buyers problem.

All that said, well done on having a strong moral compass. It is a credit to you.

Turns out the script would be used by said production company to keep her in a cycle of spending money. I did some research, the company was a scam.

It is really refreshing to hear that you were able to help someone in this way. However, there is no way Fiverr can protect you in this kind of situation. Nor should there be.

Whether you are a buyer or a seller, you are responsible for your own decisions. Your buyer was very lucky to have you point out the scam they were being played by. However, it was really their fault they were being played. (Clearly, they didn’t do the same research you did into the company playing them.)

If I was in your position, I would have told the buyer they are being scammed. However, I would not have offered to cancel their order. I would have suggested ways they can use the script you would have provided independently.

Whether your buyer would have used your script wouldn’t be your concern, What you are forgetting here, is that you did provide a valuable service by pointing out this scam to your buyer. If I was that buyer, I would appreciate the fact and let you keep the money for my order, and leave you a glowing review.

I have recently been in a similar situation. I have a buyer ordering ebook blurbs for a click funnel site, (Maybe this is even the same scam.) What I have done is provided these but also advised the buyer to publish their books on places like Smaswords for maximum exposure and sales opportunities. As it happens, they have been very appreciative of this advice and left me a generous tip as a result.

In short, never cancel in situations like this. Instead, upsell by offering solutions to your buyers problem.

All that said, well done on having a strong moral compass. It is a credit to you.

I just don’t think my completion rating should drop. Thank you for the kind words! She didn’t force the issue, I made the decision. Fiverr allows for an explanation, is that just lip service? I know my score will bounce up. If it was my mother or grandmother, I’d be pissed if someone took advantage of her. I did notice that since this happened I haven’t gotten an inquiry for any of my gigs. At this time, that’s actually okay. I just got off a three month stretch without a day off.

You did the right thing Ray. 👍 Fiverr is in business to make $ and at odds with cancelling orders for any reason. So they discourage it. But the analytics is very forgiving of a cancellation now and then as far as not dropping your level.

Thank you! I think if we’re all human to each other, we are better off. I know my completion score/rating will come back.

In addition:

Writers sometimes are so thrilled to asked to have their work turned into a film they only see the urgency. Also finding these scams isn’t that simple. I have encountered a few for folks and it can be devastating. One second your dream comes true, then BAMMM! It was a lie. I’d do it again without a second thought.

In addition:

Writers sometimes are so thrilled to asked to have their work turned into a film they only see the urgency. Also finding these scams isn’t that simple. I have encountered a few for folks and it can be devastating. One second your dream comes true, then BAMMM! It was a lie. I’d do it again without a second thought.

That’s a great reaction. Next time don’t cancel yourself but try asking support to cancel for you without it affecting your stats?

They sometimes do, they cancelled orders for some sellers that were for something against ToS, or when a buyer ordered accidentally, and such. I think there’s a chance they might do in a case like yours, at the least it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Archived