For anyone who has started an editing gig, how successful have you been, and how quickly did you receive your first orders?

readernatalie

I love editing written work, and so I thought I would make it a part-time job! My question is: to anyone who has done this sort of thing, is it difficult to make sales? And in relation to my gig specifically, is there anything I can improve upon? Thanks so much!

I love editing written work, and so I thought I would make it a part-time job! My question is: to anyone who has done this sort of thing, is it difficult to make sales? And in relation to my gig specifically, is there anything I can improve upon? Thanks so much!

is it difficult to make sales?

Eh, it’s okay. I’ve gotten more sales from my short story gig, despite that one being less versatile. A lot of people expect me to drop my prices very low because they undervalue editing, so I’ve had to turn away a lot of people.

What does seem to draw a lot of clients is rewriting/rewording content.

I think your gig looks fine, although I’d personally not use your profile picture as the gig image since that’s a repeat of something already visible to your buyers.

is it difficult to make sales?

Eh, it’s okay. I’ve gotten more sales from my short story gig, despite that one being less versatile. A lot of people expect me to drop my prices very low because they undervalue editing, so I’ve had to turn away a lot of people.

What does seem to draw a lot of clients is rewriting/rewording content.

I think your gig looks fine, although I’d personally not use your profile picture as the gig image since that’s a repeat of something already visible to your buyers.

Thanks so much! Interesting - good to know, haha. Maybe I’ll make more money writing fanfiction 😂

Not sure if I’d ever want that somehow ending up in my grad school’s hands 😂 But it’s tempting, haha.

Yeah, it’s lucrative but not the best thing to put on your resume.

Either way, I’d say it doesn’t hurt to offer an editing/proofreading gig for now (maybe even a beta reading one if you’re so inclined?) and see what bites. You’ll have a leg up over a lot of people offering proofreading services on here who just use Grammarly to scan through things.

I have one super simple suggestion: offer a bit more for $5.

Your pricing is identical to mine, but I’ve been around for 5 years and have 9k reviews on one gig. Think about it from the buyer’s pov. If the price is the same, would you gamble on a new seller, or go for a seller with a proven track record?

Your work could be excellent, but it’s important to understand the drivers behind buyers’ purchasing behaviour.

I have one super simple suggestion: offer a bit more for $5.

Your pricing is identical to mine, but I’ve been around for 5 years and have 9k reviews on one gig. Think about it from the buyer’s pov. If the price is the same, would you gamble on a new seller, or go for a seller with a proven track record?

Your work could be excellent, but it’s important to understand the drivers behind buyers’ purchasing behaviour.

You’re right - I was mainly basing my price off of a couple of gigs I saw. What would you suggest? Thanks for the tips!!

You’re right - I was mainly basing my price off of a couple of gigs I saw. What would you suggest? Thanks for the tips!!

Well, I originally started by offering $5 per 2,500 words. Slowly, as I developed a reputation, I lowered my prices and tightened up the offering.

But, if you want to retain the same pricing, you could simply offer a bit more through your service. I.e. free feedback comments, light rewriting, same-day delivery, etc.

Start small and eventually you’ll hook a big fish. 🙂

Archived