Fiverr Forum

Foreign Buyers

I have always had trouble with buyers outside of my county. There is always a huge lack of communication on their part. I cant produce a great article or do a good gig without proper communication and information which they hardly ever provide! Then when I do my best with what I have, they always have me modify it over and over! One of my buyers kept adding requirements to the order so I would have to modify it again, I fixed the article 5 times before he told me it was “good enough” and he would “make do with what I had.” SO FRUSTRATING!!!

To me it is the English and the Americans which don’t give me all of the information that I need and need a bit of a push. Others tend to give me more of what I want. I have never had requirements or been asked to modify a gig so can’t comment on that though.

ryangillam said: To me it is the English and the Americans which don't give me all of the information that I need and need a bit of a push.

Well, if I were to decide not to work with buyers outside my country, I would have very few buyers indeed! As my username points out, I am from Belgium and prior to Ryan's remark I was tempted to write something similar to his remark. No let me correct that. It would not do my Belgian buyers justice. I guess a person's attitude when it comes to communication is largely due to their personality rather than their nationality. I am not from the US or the UK and I just love communicating and mostly my buyers provide me with the information needed regardless of where they are living.

I guess I have just gotten the people who don’t care and expect me to pull off the perfect article!

I have had a lot of issues with people living in Asia and India. They want everything perfect or they do not want to pay. This is after I tirelessly work with them to give them the perfect resume or cover letter. It also seems to happen a lot with those cultures who live in another country. I think it can happen with anyone. It just depends on their personality…

I agree with @alb9475. Asia and India provide me with headaches. They don’t speak English well and then get mad after I deliver. I just worked with an Asian woman who wanted me to revise her press release into “proper English formation.” The pr was very poorly written, and it was all about how she is a pr expert. I fixed it up and then she got mad and told me I had to make it 400 words longer! :open_mouth:

Once in awhile I do run into the language problem, but it’s rare with my gig. I’m pretty patient and just do my best to understand what they need. I’m sure this goes both ways with buyers and sellers. I think the lack of communication is just part of the language barrier. They know what they want but don’t know how to ask for it, but know you can do it.

I always send an outline of what I’m going to do for the buyer so if there are any discrepancies we can modify it before I start or if they want modifications or additions later I can refer back to that and let them know it will be extra or it was not agreed upon previously. Not sure if you can apply that to your gig but it might help.

Although I am from India, I don’t like buyers from my country. The reason is the same as stated by @alb8475. Always underpaying and expecting more and more :-w

Exactly! We only get $4 per gig really and they expect the most perfect gig! I want to do a great job with my work but if you keep hassling me to change this and that after I have modified it many times or keep adding things you want after I have delivered it, I get peeved which makes me consider if this is really worth the $4 I make

Reply to @ryangillam: I’ve noticed some Americans (not all of them) be awfully entitled, and treat me like a monkey with a stylus. I think their “customer is always right” policy is making them act like brats :frowning:

I think this is a terrible thread. It serves no purpose other than to complain about other people and point out countries with negative blanket statements. I’m guessing that Asian buyers and sellers should not feel welcome here.

Shame on all of you.

I didn’t mean to really harp on people as much as let buyers realize for only $4 they shouldn’t demand so much! Plus this is on the Ranting Pot, aren’t we supposed to rant?

Hi Katie!

I checked out your gigs and noticed that you don’t have any specs on re-dos or additions. Maybe make your gig description more clear? I.e. A redo will cost an additional $5 etc.

Maybe limit the word count and add more words as “gig” extras? (Not sure how many you have available to you?) Like $5 per 100 words?

You really have to be set with guidelines here on Fiverr otherwise you COULD be taken advantage of, especially by those who are here to find really cheap work. It’s definitely a trial and error thing as you go through different issues with buyers :slight_smile:

Stick with it, communicate a LOT regardless of who you’re talking with, and if you really can’t understand what they want/need - tell them that you have trouble understanding! :slight_smile:

Reply to @yourawesome: Its not frowned upon to make gig modifications extra money? And how would I implicate such a demand?

cheezees said: I think this is a terrible thread. It serves no purpose other than to complain about other people and point out countries with negative blanket statements. I'm guessing that Asian buyers and sellers should not feel welcome here.

I agree with you here. If anything, I find Fiverr an excellent place to learn how to do business with people from other countries and other countries. Thinking and maintaining that what you know to be right is the only right way to do business will get you nowhere.

Reply to @kjblynx: lol