Fiverr Forum

Free coffee and a frustrating cancellation request

Today I got a cancellation request that hit a nerve.

As a freelance writer, I know my work won’t resonate with everyone. Fiverr is a secondary source of income for me, and I’m fortunate to have a decent roster of clients on retainer through my website.

This shouldn’t have bothered me, but it did. It isn’t a big deal. And in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter at all. But the way XXX phrased his message – ugh! (Note that only the first and final lines upset me. Everything XXX said in the middle was fair game.)

Hello Maddie, I wish I had better news.

My research on Fiver pointed me to you as the ideal person to write my XX. Unfortunately, my conclusion is that we are on different wave lengths. Your writing is far off what i expect for my XX as such i need to cancel this project.

Happy to buy you a coffee however I cannot use this material,

Yours Sincerely,
XXX

I just needed to rant about that syrupy-sweet, condescending cancellation request (after hours of work and a revision that clearly got me nowhere). Thanks for listening.

I listened and understood. Some days are like that.

At least we don’t have to commute, wear suits and work in cubicles… :grinning:

Thanks for your reply. I hear you!

It’s funny – I’m already over it, although I wish the client had been happy with my delivery. The first 10 minutes after receiving difficult feedback are always the toughest.

Ugh so patronizing. Did you end up accepting the cancellation request?
True about the first 10 minutes being the hardest after some gnarly feedback. For me it’s usually a solid hour on a good day haha.

Sometimes just writing it down is cathartic and clears the air. I should learn from you

Honestly, if you haven’t cancelled it yet, I wouldn’t do it if I were you. If the buyer had wanted to place a coffee-sized test order to make sure about your writing, I am thinking you would have obliged. I encourage buyers to purchase small samples first. Once they order and you do the work and deliver, they really have no leg to stand on in cancelling over personal preference. Unless you are so new you don’t have enough reviews to absorb a potentially lower one, be polite but firm and get paid for your time.

If you have cancelled already, at least I hope you have the bright side that most writers have! I can usually find a way to use my own work if something does go awry. I hope if you gave up the order you at least can use the work, preferably online so the buyer cannot attempt to use it themselves. :slight_smile:

If you put in hours of work and delivered what was described in your gig, then you should not agree to cancel. The fiverr TOS backs this up:

“Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig page. Buyers may rate their experience with the seller on the order page, including the overall level of service quality received.”

If you delivered what was promised, you have the right to keep the money and take the possible bad review. Otherwise you end up working for free.

Just my two cents.

Spot on. I do that all the time with big orders, or even when they ask for a free sample, I say, just buy a basic gig, let me record 100 words, then you can either move forward, or we part with no strings attached. Your choice.

Thanks for your reply. That’s good to know about the TOS.

I accepted the cancellation request because this happens so rarely, and this person was so difficult to work with that I didn’t have the energy to continue our exchange. I do have 1,300+ positive reviews, so I certainly would have been open to accepting negative feedback and keeping the money.

That’s a good idea. The issue, for me, is that my basic gigs cost $30 and $60, respectively. This is the first problem I’ve had in the months since I started pricing my gigs higher, so I think I’ll cut my losses and move on. I do appreciate all the feedback!

I accepted it because I wanted to end our exchange, although I’m kicking myself in hindsight – I worked hard and should have kept the money! If he hadn’t been so patronizing, I don’t think I would have gotten as frustrated. :slight_smile:

This is the first time I’ve done this, but it was cathartic! The next time you deal with a difficult buyer, definitely come to “The Ranting Pot” for a productive venting session. :slight_smile:

Smooth :laughing::joy:

I’m sorry this happened to you but believe me nothing can touch the satisfaction of refusing the cancellation request with a simple message that you completed the work and expect that in spite of him not liking it you expect payment. Therefore the cancellation request is denied.

It feels invigorating to stand up to a jerk like this.

I wish I had. I reacted too quickly and would totally reverse it if I could. Hey, at least he’s willing to buy me a coffee! :roll_eyes:

It’s so hard when this happens but understandably not every transaction would go smoothly.

I always encourage an open line of communication and that’s exactly what you did.

Contrary to what others have said, I would rather cancel the order than risk a negative review. The negative review will remain there forever and the $30 will come in another way.

I’m happy it’s all sorted and you’ve discontinued working with the buyer in question.

Fiverr has made it difficult to change reviews because they want Sellers to live with bad reviews, and not cancel orders and whatnot to avoid bad reviews (in my opinion).

At this point, Maddie has 1388 reviews and a 5-star rating.

If one assumes no reviews lower than 5 stars, that means her score is 1388 * 5 = 6940. If she’s received some reviews lower than 5 stars, her overall score may be lower, but still sufficiently high that it rounds to 5.0 rather than 4.9.

If she receives 1 star on her next review, that makes her total score 6941. Divide that by 1389 and her net rating is 4.99712023, which rounds to 5.0, not 4.9.

In other words, given her current number of reviews and overall 5-star rating, each bad review going forward costs her 0.00287977 points.

She certainly has better things to do with her time than to stress over bad reviews or condescending Buyers.

It’s not you. Writers can only watermark their product. They can read it, copy it down and use it. This happens all the time. Fiverr makes it easy for them to cancel, keep your work and their money.

Thank you for your feedback, everyone! I’m so grateful for your support. Freelancing can be isolating, and it’s good to know that there’s an entire community dealing with similar challenges.

This has only happened once before, but I do have an attorney in the family who, in the event that clients refuse to pay and then publish my web copy anyway, is willing to send a mildly threatening email to get my work taken down.

There are so many great things about self-employment, but when this happens I wish I had a company looking out for me.

You have a solid point.
Either way the dues were done.