Freelancers: How do you protect your eyes?

rainny_writer

So, I’ve read a lot about the damaging effects of digital lights on your eyes, with phones and computers fingered as the biggest culprits. On a personal level, I’ve noticed that excessive focus on the computer screen makes my eye hurt and sometimes tear. I’m still considering getting a photochromic glass to shield my eye a little from its effect but was wondering what anyone else does for eye protection.

So here’s the question:

1. Have you noticed any damaging effect on your eye as a result of excessive computer and phone usage?
  2. What measures have you taken to protect yourself?
  3. How effective has it been?

As a side note: I got this as a suggestion for a related topic I should consider - “I Will Make You The Best Elegant,Eye Catching Intro Template Must See.I Will Put Your LOGO For Free!” 😏

Just use this:

favicon.pngjustgetflux http://justgetflux.com/flux-icon-big.png

f.lux

Software to warm up your computer display at night, to match your indoor lighting.

Get it while its still free:

85e131f1d614059f9c1edb4352eaec7f6e3f12d2.png

Just downloaded it. It feels weird on the eyes, maybe I’ll get used to it. Thanks.

By the way, how long have you been using it? How would you rate a before and after effect?

Just downloaded it. It feels weird on the eyes, maybe I’ll get used to it. Thanks.

By the way, how long have you been using it? How would you rate a before and after effect?

Fantastic. 👍

It does take a little getting used to, but keep it set on a timer so it gradually fades into the night light.

I don’t use it any more much since, my work involves working with colors, I have to have my monitor display the original shades.

If you read into its science, its basically reduction of blue light, which is always soothing for your eyes, especially the closer you get to sleeping time. Its function is to reduce 👁️ fatigue.

Fantastic. 👍

It does take a little getting used to, but keep it set on a timer so it gradually fades into the night light.

I don’t use it any more much since, my work involves working with colors, I have to have my monitor display the original shades.

If you read into its science, its basically reduction of blue light, which is always soothing for your eyes, especially the closer you get to sleeping time. Its function is to reduce 👁️ fatigue.

Unfortunately I can’t use that, as it alters colors and I need color accuracy for video making. 😦

So I quit using contact lenses and got prescription glasses with a special filter on them that helps with computer monitors.

Fantastic. 👍

I started using it a couple of weeks ago and it took some getting used to and adjusting the settings but now I definitely see the benefit. I think it is especially effective for people who work with documents as the white background is particularly jarring on the eyes.

I always take a walk after I’m done working, to ease my mind, but also to ease my eyes. When going out, I force my eyes to look into the distance, which is not really possible if I stay indoors.

If the weather is particularly awful I stand in front of the window and count the cars passing by on the street that connects to my street.

I always take a walk after I’m done working, to ease my mind, but also to ease my eyes. When going out, I force my eyes to look into the distance, which is not really possible if I stay indoors.

If the weather is particularly awful I stand in front of the window and count the cars passing by on the street that connects to my street.

I initially adopted that approach, but I’ve been wondering how much help that really gives. Hence my question. So, how does standing up and taking a walk or something of that nature eliminate the effect of screen light on your eyes? Is it just a sort of temporary relief (cos that’s what it feels like to me), or does it do some really good work of protecting the eye and stuff?

I started using it a couple of weeks ago and it took some getting used to and adjusting the settings but now I definitely see the benefit. I think it is especially effective for people who work with documents as the white background is particularly jarring on the eyes.

adjusting the settings

What setting do you use?

the white background is particularly jarring on the eyes

I sure agree with you on this one. Have you tried any other thing previously?

my work involves working with colors, I have to have my monitor display the original shades

Thankfully mine doesn’t. But painfully that means much exposure to stinging bright white light. Wonder which is better, now that I think of it. 😕

I initially adopted that approach, but I’ve been wondering how much help that really gives. Hence my question. So, how does standing up and taking a walk or something of that nature eliminate the effect of screen light on your eyes? Is it just a sort of temporary relief (cos that’s what it feels like to me), or does it do some really good work of protecting the eye and stuff?

One of the main issues with screen work is that too much of the time you’re focusing on something that is too close to you. Going outside forces you to look at something that’s a bit further and it has numerous other benefits as well.

If the relieve is temporary, it might be better to take a couple of short walks instead of a long one at the end of the day.

^ That. I think it´s very important to relax your eyes by ‘looking into the distance’ and taking a walk (or a nap ;)), before/after/as a break whenever possible, I´d think is the best you can do for your eyes.

There are good yoga excercises for the eyes too, maybe google that and try it out.

I use f.lux since quite some time, not sure how much it helps, but it certainly doesn´t hurt, at least not with what I do.

^ That. I think it´s very important to relax your eyes by ‘looking into the distance’ and taking a walk (or a nap ;)), before/after/as a break whenever possible, I´d think is the best you can do for your eyes.

There are good yoga excercises for the eyes too, maybe google that and try it out.

I use f.lux since quite some time, not sure how much it helps, but it certainly doesn´t hurt, at least not with what I do.

There are good yoga excercises for the eyes too,

I second that. Or, even better, yoga exercises for the eyes and the neck. 3 minutes total, or less.

My eyesight is weakening day by day as i have to do late night work and that too without the room light as because it disturbs my roommates…I like the software suggestion above but still cant use in designing…I do yoga and wash my eyes for 4-5 times for whole day…what other measure i can take to improve it?

My eyesight is weakening day by day as i have to do late night work and that too without the room light as because it disturbs my roommates…I like the software suggestion above but still cant use in designing…I do yoga and wash my eyes for 4-5 times for whole day…what other measure i can take to improve it?

Eye drops like “Visine”.

adjusting the settings

What setting do you use?

the white background is particularly jarring on the eyes

I sure agree with you on this one. Have you tried any other thing previously?

my work involves working with colors, I have to have my monitor display the original shades

Thankfully mine doesn’t. But painfully that means much exposure to stinging bright white light. Wonder which is better, now that I think of it. 😕

I am referring to the f.lux settings. I have actually got so used to it that I can basically tell what I need it to be depending on how it feels on my eyes initially!

The daily weather makes a huge difference as I can have sunshine streaming in my window or almost darkness at 4pm depending on the day so the automatic settings didn’t work for me. Just experiment with them and see what suits you.

Thanks guys. It was really great bringing this here. @djgodknows and @eoinfinnegan f.lux is proving to be great so far. @phantompower I’m still trying out eyeleo, but I’d say the write up on the page seems nice. I hope it works just fine.

@taverr I’ve been considering getting UV protective glasses for a while now but I always back down in the end. Do you make use of it yourself? How would you rate it? As for washing the eyes, I do that too…just not up to 5 times daily.

@catwriter and @miiila: yoga exercise for the eye? Never heard of that before and never really been a fan of yoga either. I really don’t know why but I’ve got it tagged as an activity for the females (wrong stereotype?). I’ll read up about it, but I doubt I’ll make use of it 😀

General: I’m still very open to more suggestions. In the end, prevention is better than cure and I’m not ready to lose my eyes just yet… And I think many share those sentiments with me too.

Thanks guys. It was really great bringing this here. @djgodknows and @eoinfinnegan f.lux is proving to be great so far. @phantompower I’m still trying out eyeleo, but I’d say the write up on the page seems nice. I hope it works just fine.

@taverr I’ve been considering getting UV protective glasses for a while now but I always back down in the end. Do you make use of it yourself? How would you rate it? As for washing the eyes, I do that too…just not up to 5 times daily.

@catwriter and @miiila: yoga exercise for the eye? Never heard of that before and never really been a fan of yoga either. I really don’t know why but I’ve got it tagged as an activity for the females (wrong stereotype?). I’ll read up about it, but I doubt I’ll make use of it 😀

General: I’m still very open to more suggestions. In the end, prevention is better than cure and I’m not ready to lose my eyes just yet… And I think many share those sentiments with me too.

I really don’t know why but I’ve got it tagged as an activity for the females (wrong stereotype?).

Many see it that way, but it’s completely wrong. It’s for men and women both.

In the yoga classes in my gym there were 1 or 2 men only some years ago, now it´s like 5-7 most of the time, men are getting smarter and feeling less female doing yoga ;)…you know that the great yogis mostly were/are men though, right? Read a bit about the history of yoga and the ‘big names’ and you shouldn´t feel bad doing it as a man.

One totally simple and fast thing that really is good: Rub your hands together until warm, place both palms over your eyes so you can´t see anything but black. Yes, leave the eyes open, not closing. do that for a bit, it relaxes the eyes.

Archived