Freelancing is hell

blackash_web

So let’s begin a story.
I had an order from a buyer to create a js application that calls data from API and create CSV file with it. I started working after a few hours I showed him an update that the API has some limitations to what he wants. I tried to fix this with my own client-side code. I succeeded in creating CSV with API data but the CSV was not in his wanted format. SO I keep digging and tried everything to get that format.

meanwhile, he took my version of code and started trying by himself and then updated a step and stuck. Then I fixed that and he has it in his own CSV format. This is a happy story right but then he comes and says “You did just 2 line of code here and the rest of them is done by me please cancel the order.” And he succeeded to get his job done and took his money back. How cruel the world can be to a poor person like me. Freelancing is hell.

@lenasemenkova Yeah I guess it is obvious, it‘s quite similar to retail, always different customers. But you still can’t avoid getting hurt by difficult customers and appreciate kind ones

Sure, 100%. What I’m saying is, it’s not HELL if one comes across a few problematic customers. If it feels like HELL all the time and those problematic customers are all that one gets, maybe freelancing is not for them.

Sure, 100%. What I’m saying is, it’s not HELL if one comes across a few problematic customers. If it feels like HELL all the time and those problematic customers are all that one gets, maybe freelancing is not for them.

@lenasemenkova Good point, certainly agree with you.

As a freelancer it is necessary to know the possibility of getting difficult customers and how to handle those.

It‘s better to be patient and obtaining a preference for harmony, so that one doesn‘t view freelancing as hell.

Not to forget the benefits we get from being freelancers. We can also (kind of) choose our customers

@lenasemenkova Good point, certainly agree with you.

As a freelancer it is necessary to know the possibility of getting difficult customers and how to handle those.

It‘s better to be patient and obtaining a preference for harmony, so that one doesn‘t view freelancing as hell.

Not to forget the benefits we get from being freelancers. We can also (kind of) choose our customers

My sister works for a fashion house and I was trying to get her into freelancing because she’s amazing at making dresses. I have two dresses she made for me and they are absolutely wonderful. Very sellable, too.

She did go into it and had 12 customers in total. 11 of them were a great experience, the 12th, the final one was a disaster. It’s either there was a communication problem, a budget problem (news flash: beautiful fabrics are expensive) or something else, but it ended in 50% refund, my sister exploding and going back to her office job. She just couldn’t deal with the negative experience at all.

I was trying to tell her that if she was an MMA fighter, 11/1 would be a pretty good record but yeah, freelancing is not for everyone.

(Sorry for the long comment, this whole dramatic outburst reminded me of a similar situation).

My sister works for a fashion house and I was trying to get her into freelancing because she’s amazing at making dresses. I have two dresses she made for me and they are absolutely wonderful. Very sellable, too.

She did go into it and had 12 customers in total. 11 of them were a great experience, the 12th, the final one was a disaster. It’s either there was a communication problem, a budget problem (news flash: beautiful fabrics are expensive) or something else, but it ended in 50% refund, my sister exploding and going back to her office job. She just couldn’t deal with the negative experience at all.

I was trying to tell her that if she was an MMA fighter, 11/1 would be a pretty good record but yeah, freelancing is not for everyone.

(Sorry for the long comment, this whole dramatic outburst reminded me of a similar situation).

Absolutely!

Lots of efforts and courage is needed for FREELANCING.

Exactly this! Nice comparison. I mean, one negative experience shouldn‘t override several positive experiences. If this perspective is established in one‘s mindset, freelancing will be more heaven than hell 🙂

Absolutely!

Lots of efforts and courage is needed for FREELANCING.

Yes!! And I couldn‘t stress this more: will power is essential.

This stretches to every topic for freelancing - whether views are getting down, no orders are coming in etc. As long as you don‘t let negative events drag you down, all is good

Exactly this! Nice comparison. I mean, one negative experience shouldn‘t override several positive experiences. If this perspective is established in one‘s mindset, freelancing will be more heaven than hell 🙂

Right, even I have left my job and it’s been 1 year. It’s a lot slower to get orders and I have waited long but till not complaining to anyone and I know oneday it will work for me. It is all about Patience. 🙂

Yes!! And I couldn‘t stress this more: will power is essential.

This stretches to every topic for freelancing - whether views are getting down, no orders are coming in etc. As long as you don‘t let negative events drag you down, all is good

Absolutely Ma’am, you said right!

Uptill now I have done just 4 orders. Daily I deal with stress but still online on Fiverr trying every day, even my first 2 clients did not leave a review or star for me (It was heartbreaking) but still I am online more than 15 hours a day just to make this work for me.

@blackash_web I feel your pain my friend, it has happened to most of us trust me, but not all buyers are like that. So i suggest you limit your sample work and updates, unless it is really necessary. Scammers are out there on a daily basis looking to do bad things and it’s just part of the game, we just have to make adjustments and deal with it. Learn from this and put a plan in place so this doesn’t happen to you again. Good luck 🙂

Freelancing isn’t hell, the types of clients we meet makes it a hell for us… Freelancing is fun but some situations which are outside our control makes it hell just like the too much care fiverr gives to buyer which affect sellers so much

Freelancing isn’t hell, the types of clients we meet makes it a hell for us… Freelancing is fun but some situations which are outside our control makes it hell just like the too much care fiverr gives to buyer which affect sellers so much

just like the too much care fiverr gives to buyer which affect sellers so much

Fiverr exists to earn revenue from the gigs us sellers create. We are responsible for creating our gigs, and maintaining them profitably. Fiverr is right to provide great care and attention to their buyers, because the buyers on this site provide the revenue.

It is not Fiverr’s responsibility to make sure YOU make money. It is Fiverr’s chosen responsibility to make sure this is a great site for which buyers choose to spend their time shopping for services.

Archived