Fiverr Forum

From a buyer's perspective

Hi,

I’m back at fiverr as a buyer, after taking a break for a year. I had to take a break because I was so discouraged by my experiences, I couldn’t stand it any more. Logging back in, I was reminded why I left. There are at least a dozen inquiries that I sent and never got a response on. Since logging back in for the first time last night, there are at least another 1.5 dozen that have yet to be answered.

Maybe it’s the particular category that I shop in, but there are so many flaky, irresponsible people on fiverr, a serious buyer like myself winds up wasting a lot of time trying to find someone who will get the work done. I know there must be good sellers out there, but it’s like searching for a needle in a haystack. You have to move a ton of hay before you find that needle.

I am looking for illustrators. What I often find is that they only have 1-2 illustrations in their portfolio. If I like the style, I may send them a message asking if they do the type of characters I need. Then – I wait. And wait . . . . and wait. As I said, I came back after a year and still had a bunch of unanswered messages. Why sign up as a seller if you’re not even going to deal with buyers?

Another thing is that a lot of these people rip off other people’s artwork. I remember reporting to fiverr that there were 5 different sellers using the exact same illustration and claiming it was theirs. I found this type of deception more than once. In fact, it seems to me to be rampant.

Sometimes illustrators will say they have illustrated numerous books, but they only have 1 or 2 illustrations in their portfolio, so I’ll write asking for the names of the books so I can look them up. IF I get any answer it all, it’s usually something like, “I like your project. Order me now.” And they of course ignored my request for info on the books they supposedly illustrated.

And what is with all the glamour shots? I don’t care what you look like, only if you can draw. As soon as I see a model, I refuse to buy from that seller. It’s so ridiculous. There are two different sellers currently using the same photo of Selena Gomez as their profile picture. I don’t even know how many Angelina Jolie’s I have seen. And even if it’s not someone famous, it’s obvious it’s not YOU!

So if you are going to sell, my advice is, be honest. Post your own picture. If you don’t want to do that, post a flower or something, NOT someone else. ANSWER your messages. Charge a fair price AND actually get the work done. It really doesn’t seem like too much to expect. Cheers.

I find the results are 50/50 when it comes to sellers in almost every category.

On a platform like this where entry is quite easy, it’s to be expected. Although at least 50% of proofreaders have misspelled words, article writers can’t seem to write, illustrators have stolen portfolios, video artists are using video hives of other artists - -

Then there are 50% that have original artwork, videos, people that can actually write and great proofreader/editors. Unfortunately, the number of reviews and seller level do not necessarily give you a great seller.

I reverse search seller’s profile picture first and if they are not using stock or celebrity then

I read their profile description, if it’s well written, then

I reserve search the gig images, if those are not stolen off Google, then

I read the gig description, copy/paste a line or two into Google to see if it was stolen off another seller, if not, then

I read the buyer’s reviews; typically the bad ones to see what the issues were:

• Cancelled for failure to deliver - bad sign
  • Read negative comments from buyer to see if it makes sense - if I see things like “plagiarized or copied” - another bad sign
  • Does seller respond professionally to an accusation with coherent feedback - if yes, then a good sign

After I do all this, then I inbox a seller with any question not answered on gig page. Typically, if the recent delivery was less than a month ago, he is still active and I get responses rather quickly.

I don’t inbox a whole bunch of sellers because I do not want them having access to me.

My success rate varies from great to bad but mostly I get positive results. It does take a great deal of work to find great sellers, but when I do, I can rely on them for great work for a very long time so it was worth the effort.

I always thought being a seller would be a challenge. Thanks for letting me know better. :wink:

I assume looking at the seller forum is a good choice to find honorably sellers. Active community members tend to be honest and reliable.

All the best for you finding the best sellers available on Fiverr.

Tom

gina, that is all great advice. Thank you so much for taking the time to post those suggestions. I guess I’ve been a little naive about all of this. I love the idea of a platform like fiverr where people like me can come and find all sorts of help with the projects they need to get done. I just never thought there would be so many flaky or irresponsible people here. Now I know and I will try your approach to narrowing down the field. Cheers.

Haha, Thomas. Well, good luck to you in your endeavors. You will probably do well. I hope so.

And you made a good point. I didn’t even realize there was such a thing as the sellers forum and it does make sense that the more serious people would post there. Thanks for that tip and good luck.

Good to understand the perspective. For the 2-3 illustration on main page - Fiverr allows 3 photos for small sellers. Once level increases more can be placed.

I myself am an illustrator and almost daily update my portfolio with newer photos that I complete. I even share my instagram, so the buyer can see entire collection.

You are true there are lot of stupid sellers here. I buy daily here. If I have time, I’ll make a request. Mostly, I browse and send messages.

Hi rishidas,

I did wonder if the sellers were limited in how many examples they could show. That actually makes no sense to me as it’s hard for a buyer to get a sense of what the seller can do when the selection is so limited. But at least now I understand it’s not their fault. I think it’s smart that you share your instagram because being able to see enough samples can make the difference between buying or not. Thanks for your comment. I hope you’re doing well.

Here’s the current list of URLs which sellers can share with buyers.

Instagram isn’t on the list so sellers would be breaking the ToS on Fiverr if they shared their details. You might want to check it out @rishidas?

https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/what-urls-can-i-use-in-my-profile-or-gig-description

That’s the first thing that it S in my mind all the time. Neither am I using any @ symbol but to be clear this is what buyers request for. I have portfolio on my website too and can’t provide that either. I can bring people from sites here and not take ( for samples) to others.

But thank you for reminding me I’m in a big danger. If you are from team Fiverr, do look for the perspective the buyer mentioned here. Honesty may harm me here.

Have a great day!

Have to agree that is a big downside of using social media to bring traffic to your gigs. It’s a one-time deal almost.

I’m just concerned that you’re sharing things with buyers which may jeopardise your account, and that would be a great shame. :sunny:

I’m glad that you’ve found your way back to Fiverr. I think you’ll find that the quality of the services offered by the freelancers here is getting better all the time.

Thanks, dan60559. That’s encouraging to hear.

As a newbie here, it’s glad to know how buyers thinking about this. Though I haven’t got any orders for Chinese Translation, but things will get better.

Thanks

Good luck, Patrick_hu. My best advice is to respond when contacted by a buyer. Even since I wrote this original message a few days ago, I have contacted numerous sellers and gotten no response. I did hear from one woman and then told her I’d like to order, and I haven’t heard back from her! She is effectively turning down paid work. It’s been 3 days and what that signals to me as a buyer is that she is either not interested, or not responsible enough to care to even respond. Even if she wrote to say that she is very busy and can I wait to order until next week, I would be content because at least I’d know she was being responsible and professional. The idea that so many sellers ignore contact from buyers mystifies me. As gina said above, it’s fairly easy for sellers to sign up. But it’s not so easy for them to actually do the work of communicating, apparently. Anyway, good luck to you! I hope you get some business, soon.

Hi Snowynight, thanks for your great advice. I’m checking my msg all the time to ensure that I won’t miss any unread msg. But unfortunately, got no msg from buyers.

Anyway, still keep positive, things will get better.

I am no a seller in this category. Wow. This is eye-opening. Thanks for sharing and reporting to Fiverr. Sorry, you have had such a bad experience. I think many in design categories see it as a quick way to make money. They see it as a volume business. I know there are excellent illustrators here. I have worked with some.

Hi silberma1976. Thanks for posting. It is actually encouraging to hear that you have worked with some great illustrators. In fact, if you wouldn’t mind, I’d appreciate it if you’d send me a direct message with their names. Even if I don’t use them on my current project, I have a lot of projects to do and it would be great to have the names of some reliable folks. Thanks.

Hi snowynight,
Really thank you for advice. When I was new here last week, I saw your thread here. Then I applied my work as your suggested. Suddenly I got my first order. After delivered my work to buyer, he was satisfied and gave me 5 stars rating. That’s awesome!

Thank you.

By the way, I’m a Chinese English translator, find me if you need my help.

Excellent, Patrick. I am very pleased to hear that. Thanks for letting me know and I hope you continue to get lots of work. Best of luck to you. :slight_smile:

Hi snowynight… I would like to answer from a seller’s perspective!! I welcome you back on fiverr and hope you will have a great time here!!
Ok first addressing the issues of not replying… As one of the respected members mentioned in an earlier reply as well… You must always look at the responds within… Section in the gig (its below the picture)… If it is more than 6 hours dont waste your time there!!
Now the issue with not replying (my response rate is more than 97%) few of the times we are really busy in our work and there are so many orders that even replying to the active buyers become very tough!! In that scenario i guess the msgs get ignored there are so many new msgs coming up so your msg probably goes down and down…but i really feel that you are right a seller must respond to every contact either accepting the offer or gently turning it down!!
Secondly I don’t think so you will get such a reply (order me) if you contact someone with more than 400 or even more than that positive reviews I can’t think of a way of having so many reviews without good communication and great skills!!
Then again yes it is an open market so u have to find the right person very carefully once you find one stick to that seller!!
And again the portfolio thing if there are only two or three images just do not inbox that seller i would recommend a seller having at least more than 100 reviews…
I wish you best of luck for your future endeavors!!
Regards…