Fiverr Forum

Gig cancelled 43 days after completion

I received an email today from Fiverr:

"Hi imockup, We have been informed that a dispute was opened for your order *************: register a domain name for you with 1yr registration. As a result, we are forced to cancel this order and ask that you discontinue your work. Please note that in some cases disputes are nothing more than temporary holds that are put on funds to make sure that they were authorized by the buyer. The dispute does not indicate that the buyer initiated it. If the dispute gets resolved, the buyer will receive an offer to reorder your gig. Thanks, The Fiverr Team"

I then logged in to my fiverr account to see a -$20.00 (minus) balance in funds. The order that was cancelled was from a buyer who brought 5 of one of my gigs. In this case, I was selling domain name registration for $5 each - which is dirt cheap but they still cost me money to purchase for the buyer.

So I contacted fiverr support to vent my frustration that I wasn’t given the opportunity to defend myself against the buyer’s dispute. The reply:

"Please keep in mind that when you don’t get paid, neither does Fiverr, and that we want every gig order to be successful. If a buyer abused his PayPal privileges, it is something literally beyond our control, but our editorial team is already reviewing this buyer’s actions.

Please note that we do not reply to disputes as its in clear violation of our terms of service. Buyers who do file disputes on their payments made to Fiverr, whether intentional or purposely held by Paypal for security screening must resolve those disputes in order to participate again in the Fiverr community."

So it appears it is an issue with payment from PayPal. Has anyone else had this issue? I don’t see how it is fair for me as a seller. Maybe PayPal shouldn’t be an option? I doubt I will ever see the money and there’s no way I can reclaim the domain names.

:frowning:

This is definitely one of the most frustrating things about working here. For all the good that there is on Fiverr…sigh. The problem is that they could go to bat for us or at least give us the chance to go to bat for ourselves, but, as far as I’ve seen, they pretty much always let the buyer have the charge back.

Maybe we just never hear about the ones they fight? I’d find that pretty unlikely, since in order to fight the charge back, the individual seller would have to prove that the product/service was provided as advertised–at least, that’s what happens if, for example, someone opens a charge back against an Etsy seller; that seller has to prove that they both shipped the item and that it was delivered to the buyer.

That may not be all that they have to do, but I don’t think it would be that difficult to prove that what the buyer paid for was delivered. I’d have to look more into what actually goes into fighting a PayPal charge back and maybe it would be too much work for a $5 order, but a $20 order? I am often wary of taking on very large orders from buyers I haven’t worked with before, because I know that all they have to do is open a dispute and they’ll get their money back–no one is going to protect me or the work I did and I won’t be given the chance to defend myself.

Sure, that buyer doesn’t get to use Fiverr again, under that username, anyway. I’d imagine that this problem happens with nearly every method of payment. I’m not sure of all the other payment methods, but I’d think that most credit cards let users open disputes, too.