Fiverr Forum

Gig Denied?! Why?!

Hi everyone -

Question. I’ve had a gig on Fiverr for about 2 months and it’s been really picking up lately. I had 11 5 star reviews for the gig and was finally in a place where I was getting inquiries everyday. The gig was for grant writing for nonprofit and for profit businesses. Not unusual - there are several other sellers that provide that service on Fiverr. I was one of like, maybe, 50 I’d say. My gig language was SUPER specific, and my inbox record was squeaky clean. Anyone who asked me to do anything other than nonprofit or for profit grant related things got declined. Politely but declined. I got one warning last month Bc a buyer was adamant about me calling them because they didn’t understand something about his grant proposal. I mentioned the words “contacting outside of Fiverr” and got a flag. Other than that I was problem free.

Here’s my issue - my gig was just denied randomly last night. The reason provided was “HW and academic gigs - By taking part in doing someone else’s academic work (which will likely be submitted as the student’s own work) you are actively taking part in a violation of the integrity code of most, if not all, schools and academic institutions. This behavior can lead to the suspension or expulsion of students. Fiverr does not allow taking part in such fraudulent activities and these will not be permitted on our platform”.

Huh?!!! I have NEVER ever done this and every time I was solicited for it I declined, as evidenced in my inbox. Three things happened recently that have made me suspicious:

1. Of course, as I’m writing grants for organizations people are prompted to contact me before placing and order. And they are more than happy to because grant writing takes a lot of discussion/back and forth communication and understanding to get spot on. I had two customers, yesterday and very late the night before,place BIG orders, like hundred dollar orders, without asking me a single thing first and with very little information in added to the mandatory Q&A lines. That’s super unusual and I thought that was odd. Especially to have them both happen in a 24hr span.
  2. I had another client get upset with me yesterday because I told them that while I only write grants, I was in polite refusal to actually SUBMIT their grant for them (as I always refuse to do). She insisted that I should’ve submitted the grant for her. I explained to them it would be unethical for me to pretend to be them (like…why would they want to risk that anyway but whatever). She was annoyed but said she understood.
  3. The last thing that occurred within the past three days was that I had another seller make a video for me to advertise my services. I paid for the commercial rights and everything so it was very above board. The video was VERY specific and talks about how I only write funding proposals for nonprofits and for profit businesses. I uploaded it yesterday.

I wrote an email to Fiverr services explaining the scope of my services, explaining that what I offer is not different than other grant writers, citing incidences in my inbox where buyers have asked for unethical things and I turned it down, and then finally providing the script to the video.

I’m a little bummed. I worked SO HARD and was well on my way to level one status. Not to mention I had not much but close to $150 in pending payout.

What do you all think? I’m frustrated that I can’t call a seller helpline, but I understand that if there were a seller helpline, it would likely be swamped with less complex complaints for $5 orders.

Hello, based on what you have said you were not writing school work for people. Grants have nothing to do with that.

Perhaps you could send a short to the point message to CS saying that writing grants has nothing to do with nor is it related to doing academic work.

A flag is not a warning also. I mean it is not a notice from CS that you did a serious violation.