Gig Description Perfection For The Newbies...Learn from experienced sellers mistakes

hotwebideas

I offer this tip to new sellers. Fiverr is an amazing place and I have been more successful on Fiverr in one year than I was on Ebay for longer.

Important: When you first create your gig, I find that a lot of sellers mention in the gig what they offer to buyers. Yes, that’s common sense and the natural thing to do, but most gig descriptions fail on one other angle “What I will not do for your gig order”. I have found that if I do not put in the gig description what I won’t provide, the buyers usually ask for it.

It’s not their fault. They don’t know, because you never mentioned it in your gig description.

Bottom line: I think the perfect gig description should include both your “wills” and your “will nots”. It will save a lot of headaches with buyers in the long and short run and also lower your risk of negative ratings.

Also, what do you do if a buyer’s request slips through the cracks?

You should, if possible, honor the request. Bite you lip and get it done for make your buyer happy, but as soon as you fulfill that gig order, go back to your gig description and modify it immediately. Do not let that slip, because another buyer will just come back and order it.

Alternative: If you don’t like doing something for a buyer as part of an order for $5, offer it as a gig extra.

Gig extras serve another purpose than simply making you more money: They tell the buyer that you won’t perform that service as part of the $5 gig and it weeds out those requests as part of your regular gig.

Be honest with your buyers about what you will not do for them in an order!

Bruce

" Bite you lip and get it done for make your buyer happy, but as soon as you fulfill that gig order, go back to your gig description and modify it immediately"

I always tell people to do this too!! Better to have 1 very happy customer and 1 slightly heavier job for you, than 1 angry customer, that will tell others not to buy from you!

I have some ‘will nots’ on my image research listing - I specifically won’t work on stuff like hate speech or graphic s****l images, so I figure better to make that clear from the outset.

And yeah, I’ve had the occasional buyer ask for stuff well above and beyond the gig description. Sometimes all you can offer is a simple ‘I’m sorry, I can’t do that’.

Reply to @oldbittygrandma: Oldbittygrandma, I respect your angle and opinion, but you are a very flexible seller and I admire that. Most sellers are not as flexible as you are and I see a lot of complaints in this forum that buyers ask for things the seller has no intention of offering even through they order the gig anyway.

I understand your point about connecting with the buyer and then telling them “no”, but from what I gather on this forum, most sellers here would rather pass up a sale that makes too much work for them for $5 and the stress of having to worry about negative feedback, because the buyer did not understand or read the description.

I think it’s cool of you to honor almost any request and that is great, but there are pros and cons to both viewpoints.

Bruce

Reply to @oldbittygrandma: I hear ya and you have no arguments from me.

You said: "To be successful on Fiverr, it’s easier if one IS flexible and if one’s offerings can appear “limitless and innovative” to the potential buyer and their network of friends.

In fact, some of the gigs I offer, were originally inspired by “an odd request” I received from a buyers friend, who dropped by my profile and asked me to do something I wasn’t currently offering. "

Yes, word of mouth is still the best form of advertising and I have gotten new sales from other Fiverr buyers that told me they heard of me from a previous Fiverr buyer, so I won’t argue with you there.

Also, you said that you create gigs from odd requests. I do also and I think that is the natural thing to do when you see the demand.

Bruce

Sometimes the description is useless … I have buyers that don’t even bother to read the description of my gig. It’s hard to work with such people 🙂

However,to be sure that they read all of the description so they can see what they are going to get and what they are not going to get , I stated in my ‘instructions’ that they should confirm that they read the description of the gig .

Sometimes the description is useless … I have buyers that don’t even bother to read the description of my gig. It’s hard to work with such people 🙂

However,to be sure that they read all of the description so they can see what they are going to get and what they are not going to get , I stated in my ‘instructions’ that they should confirm that they read the description of the gig .

Archived