Fiverr Community Forum

Gig Ranking Algorithm

I never said they have to coach me or place orders in my lap.

I am going by their terms of maintaining good standards for maintaining your gig place. And it should be fair. You can’t be pushed to last page when you have done so many orders in a specific period with all other factors being good.

“A Gig’s position in the marketplace is based on seller performance over a set period of time. If other sellers are ranked higher, they may be consistently getting 5 stars, delivering on time, communicating quicker, etc”

So 2 to 10 reviews totally in 50 plus sellers profile is higher than 100 plus 5 star reviews in a set period of time ?

First stop defending everything is alright and that we are expecting spoon feeding if you cannot explain it logically and according to the terms given here.

2 Likes

Actually, you said they should tell you you may not perform well and why, which is the same thing:

And

It’s not about being fair. It’s about Fiverr doing what is best for their business. They don’t owe it to you to sabotage their objectives to give you what you want.

And you know who else fits into the criteria you describe? Many, many, many thousands of sellers. And there are also new ones registering all the time. And less than 40 gig spots per page. So how is what you propose for ranking criteria physically even possible?

Your problem is that you think Fiverr owes you something for performing well. That’s not how business works.

2 Likes

Your problem is that you think Fiverr owes you something for performing well.

I don’t think so. Fiverr itself thinks so that way.
“In addition, completing your orders in a timely manner and providing great service can affect your ranking. As long as you are doing well in these areas, your ranking will improve.”

You never seem to answer what I am talking about. You are talking in a broad manner that this is how marketplace works, this is fiverr, they don’t owe you anything etc none of which is my concern now. You cannot substitute another factor to defend another factor.

If you say that’s how business works well fine.That is another factor.

Am going by their terms mentioned and asking whether it is working correctly. The terms say ranking is based on performance.

You have already said its not about being fair. So I guess I will stop there.

Thank you.

I completely agree with you. I created a same thread few days before and got the same response from them. Just because things are working out for them doesnt mean that fiverr is not broken. They are failing to understand

@mercurianus I completely agree with all the points you shared. Having my gig in first page then suddenly pushed to last pages isnt rotation. Its a bug. Despite, my ratings, sales and delivery on time is all good still i faced this issue. If you read the terms of service, we are working accordingly like you mentioned.

None of us said that. We were explaining how business and logic and algorithms work.

1 Like

If you understand the logic and algorithm, you should also explain the drop in position from first page to last page? Do you logically think its a rotation? As per the Terms of service, we deserve to be at top, as we are providing quality work in a timely manner. New sellers with no reviews or experience are being boosted.

1 Like

…and I believe that is Fiverr trying to be fair and giving new sellers a limited time of exposure. I’ve seen new sellers complaining here at the forum saying that they used to appear on the top page, but then got shoved back to the 4th or 5th page after a weeks.
Gigs get cycled all the time, that’s just how things are.
I’ve been selling at Fiverr for 10 years now, I’m a TRS, in most cases I do appear on the top page, but I have had cases where I was placed on the 3rd page, while other new or inexperienced sellers along with ( and pardon me for sounding like a snob) other gigs with a lower quality/less professional looking gig popped up on the first page.

I will point out though, even when I appeared on the 3rd of 4th page, I still got orders.
Serious buyers are willing to scroll through every page until they find something they like, so I’d like to believe that as long as you are doing things right, you will get a good number of orders.

4 Likes

I actually laughed.

There are like 10 spots at the top. Thousands of sellers deliver on time. How does that work?

And as I’ve stated many times, you don’t get a gold star for performing well. Fiverr doesn’t sabotage their business objectives to give you a pat on the back.

It’s about what buyers want and what supports Fiverr’s objectives.

If you want fairness, go play a nursery school game. Business isn’t about giving sellers what they want. It’s about what supports the company’s best interest.

Fiverr is not a charity for people who want to make sales. It’s a business.

And nowhere in the ToS does it say you rank at the top if you deliver on time. Because that’s physically impossible and would make no business sense.

It’s utterly useless to focus your energy on whining that Fiverr isn’t giving you a gold star for delivering on time.

Why not use that energy to build a viable business that people want and isn’t superfluous?

Thank you. That’s a business objective.

4 Likes

Did you take a look at what the other person has said?

I’ve been selling at Fiverr for 10 years now, I’m a TRS, in most cases I do appear on the top page

So sellers have maintained their top position for long periods and not like what you say as ppl will get constantly rotated despite good performance. The rotation he means here is temporary shift to 2nd or 3rd page and in time he would be back to 1st page.

There is a difference between moving to 3rd page and suddenly moving to last pages. And what do you know about Fiverr Business objectives? Pushing new sellers is just one thing. they must have many other things. Are you part of their internal team to know everything?

1 Like

Yes. As I have said many times in the forum performance and levels do not mean you rank well.

You’re assuming performance = ranking.

There may be issues. I’m not saying there aren’t. But assuming people should rank well simply because of their level and performance is simply incorrect.

Being shifted to page 3 or 4 or 2 makes sense, but being shifted to last page around 21 or something from 1 drastically isnt rotation. Even if i slowly lose my position day by day to end pages, i would know maybe my work is of not quality or something, but a drastic change within a day is a problem.

Do you really think buyers will go to page 21 or around it to find someone? If they go, i would like to see will you get order if you are pushed to last pages. Then we will talk.

I never said they will give you a gold star or something. I am aware ranking rotates, but the ranking that rotated like being pushed to last page is more like a punishment for working good.

2 Likes

Because that’s pretty much water Fiverr have said. Though you may mean it’s not the only thing that affects ranking.

They’ve said:

A Gig’s position in the marketplace is based on seller performance over a set period of time. Gig positions are not permanent and can rotate on a daily basis. There are many factors to take into consideration, some of which may include order cancellations, delivery rate, responsiveness, etc. There may be other Gigs currently performing at a higher rate than yours. If other sellers are ranked higher, they may be consistently getting 5 stars, delivering on time, communicating quicker, etc. This all counts.

And:

Promoting your Gigs on social media, websites, or blogs is a great way to bring more traffic. The more traffic you bring, the more exposure you will receive in our marketplace. In addition, completing your orders in a timely manner and providing great service can affect your ranking. As long as you are doing well in these areas, your ranking will improve.

As shown in the links previously posted.

If there are other facts maybe Fiverr should say a few of them. Like if new sellers are given a boost maybe they should give a bit of info on that in the help pages. It’s unlikely to make people game the system because of the extra verification they do (eg. it wouldn’t make people keep creating new accounts because of any boost). Maybe a gig might go way down because of the private ratings that we don’t see.

Also if you click on a subcategory it shows it in “best selling” order which might just be a few hundred gigs instead of the thousands that might show up otherwise (eg. in “recommended” order). So they might never see a particular gig in the list.

I can proudly tell you that I have! :wink:
I was looking for a very specific person and I did indeed scrolled through a LOT of pages ( at least 18), in fact every single page from start to the very last page. I wanted to look through everything, check all their description and review etc, and I don’t think it was the last page, but the person I chose was pretty close to the end.

4 Likes

If buyers scroll to last pages, then sellers shouldn’t be worried. They are worried as most of the buyers usually look at first few pages, this is not my view, this is majority of the sellers view.

1 Like

Buyers are looking for relevance, not top search results.

If I come on top, but I don’t offer what they need, in line with their budget or within the time frame of their budget, it’s not going to result in a sale.

Everyone on the forum* has this whole ranking thing backwards.

*Making posts like these about “losing their ranking” or the “algorithm being buggy”

6 Likes

@frank_d we can have a poll, and i am sure majority of the sellers will be voting that there is a bug. In case opposite, i will openly admit that i was wrong.

1 Like

You don’t get it, this is not a matter of opinion.

We can have as many polls as you can think of, that will change nothing.

I keep talking about relevance and you keep saying the system is not working.

I am targeting my audience and getting sales in from clients I want, you keep on trying to find someone who confirms your assumptions.

Who is making progress here out of the two of us?

7 Likes

I have also started approaching clients via various methods. Though i havent achieved any great results but i am just sharing an opinion regarding the search algorithm. I know we will be talking nonsense over this unless the Fiverr confirms themselves whether this is a issue or not. Many think its a issue, many think not. But yes, we should not rely on Fiverr on our income, we should look for other options also.
Care to share few ideas on how to approach clients? Maybe this will help many sellers who are worried about not getting sales. :wink:

I am also certain the majority of the sellers will also claim they are not making any money.

I see those two related somewhat.

Edit to reply to comment above:

Oh I didn’t mean outside of Fiverr.

I am targeting people right here on Fiverr. Not talking about sponsored gigs either. Plain old organic traffic.

3 Likes