Fiverr Forum

Gig's video has bad audio quality?

Hello everyone, so I basically have nothing to rant about else than a unusual thing that is happening to me in the last days.

I used to have a video for my gig that had everything good including the audio’s quality.
Lately I had to make some changes so I edited it and re-uploaded it again, what surprised me is that the audio was very compressed to the level of ruining its quality, and as a music producer this will affect the impression that I give to potential customers.

My question is: Is this happening with everyone else lately? Should I change the settings of my export? (the original file definitely sounds better)

Thanks for all!
Omar

2 Likes

I just checked and my video sound is still excellent. :thinking:

2 Likes

You could ask CS what bitrate/codec settings (and maybe sample rate?) they recommend for audio when uploading gig info videos or mention the problem to CS if it’s reducing quality/bitrate too much. Ideally that info should be put into a help page. The current help page is quite old and I don’t think it mentions resolution either. Maybe they’re now giving higher priority to the video (eg. picture resolution) if the audio bitrate gets lowered. You could try encoding it with a higher original bitrate before uploading but it may get recompressed.

2 Likes

Compression issues are so annoying! Good for you for being cognizant of the impression it can have on your brand.

2 Likes

I highly doubt CS knows technical video details. You may be lucky if they have a pre-written answer for it in their script, which is all they seem to do.

3 Likes

If they don’t know or if it’s flagged as something to be fixed (eg. if it’s lowering the quality/bitrate too much) they can always contact or pass the issue onto the developers who should know (contact for optimum settings or pass it on as a bug/issue if it lowers it too much).

2 Likes

If there’s a bug, maybe it could work. I’ve never noticed any problems with the video, though (besides them having to be in mp4, which I never understood).

1 Like

Great point. And I’d be very interested to know if a seller asks customer support to consultant the technical team about such a problem and they either decline or tech won’t do anything about it.

I’d be very interested to know that indeed.

2 Likes

Yep, that was more or less my point…

1 Like

My previous video was sounding good as well, but once I edited and re-uploaded it I noticed this issue.

I’ve seen this too. Doubt they will do anything about it.

1 Like

Same here - I used imovie and made the largest file I could under 50Mb and still sounds fuzzy. Audio only demos sound fine.

1 Like

Large files may worsen the problem. Fiverr has to compress media files. The more a file is compressed, the more the quality is degraded.

This issue is likely caused by compression. If your file has to be compressed to a huge degree, this can change the quality and volume.

Agreed, it’s the compression settings on Fiverr. I’ve uploaded small and large gig video files and still the same low quality audio. My original video from 2 years ago sounded great. Wish I never updated.

1 Like

It would be great if there were better guidelines about how to get optimal quality here!

I recently posted a similar thread regarding the previous deliveries in the portfolio having the same problem. I deliver high-quality wav-files as a VO, and they get compressed to death in the portfolio. It seems this is a recent problem, because my gig video and demos are perfectly fine, but they were uploaded a while back, while my recently uploaded files sound like crap.

I’m guessing this is an effort from Fiverr in order to save bandwidth, which can cost a lot of money, but in my opinion they are hurting their sellers and revenue by doing so. Having bad audio and/or image quality on gig videos or portfolios is probably one of the worst issues multimedia sellers can face, and I don’t get why Fiverr is doing this.

You can read my thread regarding the audio quality in the portfolio here: Audio quality in portfolio sucks

1 Like

I have contacted CS about the matter. Included this thread as well as mine.

**Fixed! Bad Audio on Voiceover Gig Video **

1. iMovie - max out the settings - Best - 720 - etc. Makes a massive file 500MB
  2. Handbrake - Compress your iMovie using Preset “Production Standard (Modified)” and on the audio button Codec should be “AAC Core Audio” with a bitrate of 256. Got my video to 20MB
  3. I also use handbrake to remove the black bars on the sides of the video - changing the ratio of my 16x9 (1.78) iMovie to 1.6 so the thumbnail doesn’t get too distorted.
    ~Mike
1 Like

I’m in contact with CS about this matter. We should be able to upload videos that are more than 20MB in size in 2019, without it being compressed to death. This issue also affects portfolio samples, which is a nightmare for us voice-overs, so I have raised the concert of several users from the forum including myself with the customer support team.

At the moment I’m waiting for a reply after being asked to show them a particular case of bad quality from my own gig, so I’ve uploaded the original high quality .wav file that I delivered and told them where to find it in my portfolio. When they hear the difference, I hope they will get to work solving this issue.

3 Likes

Did you ever get an answer smashradio?
I recently uploaded a video and compressed it with virtually no loss at 46 MB. However a gig from a year ago was compressed at the same ratio and sounds crisp. It’s very annoying to say the least.