Fiverr Forum

Gig's video has bad audio quality?

I have the same problem. My old video sounded fine but when I uploaded a new one recently, the audio was compressed to sh*t!

Fiverr went “PUBLIC” on the US Stock Exchange less than a month before this original post.

It is no longer a PRIVATE company, it now has SHAREHOLDERS who ultimately want to keep COSTS DOWN and PROFITS UP !!!

One of those cost-cutting measures was to PURPOSELY cut internet BANDWIDTH - as video eats up the most BANDWIDTH, it was the first to be cut !!!.

Unfortunately, get used to it - this is the new norm on Fiverr. They are doing it to FORCE Voice Over Gigs into ONLY using AUDIO - not video !!!

1 Like

I with you on this one, fortunately my older gigs sound virtually uncompressed.
The new gig sounds worse than XMRadio 192 compression.

So I got a response. Not what I was hoping for. The CS team wrote the following:

Hi again Leo, Thank you for providing this information.I have listened to the audio file you have sent me and I went to your Gig portfolio and after listening to both of them and comparing them I found very little difference in their quality, which is normal since they are not played from the same program. The quality of both ways was good. I would kindly advise you to try with multiple devices and other browsers since the issue is originating from a specific player and not our website nor the file. If you find more information or proof of the issue, please forward it to us and we will gladly investigate. Thank you.

Now I’m not sure if they used laptop speakers or something to compare the two, but I can hear a big difference in the clips. I even recorded them directly from my soundcard side by side just to make sure, and the difference is massive in frequencies. I haven’t had time to explain this to the CS team, and frankly, I’m not sure it would help.

1 Like

And I can confirm what many others have experienced: this doesn’t affect uploads made before a certain point. New gigs are affected, old files are the same. This means they are compressing all new uploads.

1 Like

POLL on this subject started

This slump has gone on too long. It is clear that that it is affecting EVERYONE’S bottom line.

I have recently posted on my gigs:

ATTENTION: Due to a recent change by Fiverr in the LOWERING of Gig audio quality, the extremely poor audio quality presented in this gig is NOT AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION of the final HIGH QUALITY WAV audio file that you will receive from me. For a FREE pre-recorded sample of the exact audio quality you will receive with your purchase, please message me.

3 Likes

I included a similar one in my gig description as well, to try and save some lost sales due to this.

ATTENTION: Due to a change by Fiverr all portfolio samples are compressed and do not represent the high-quality files you’ll receive from me. Please message me for a downloadable sample.

1 Like

Great conversation starter, which can help you generate leads!

Can’t believe more sellers creating quality Audio/Video are not outraged.
Can you imagine P2P voice over sites doing this.

I tried making a thread about this when I first discovered this several weeks ago… Almost no reactions to it. After that, several threads have been made - and still, not enough reactions. Fiverr has basically closed the door as a go-to VO site if they don’t fix this.

1 Like

I’m sure they are but we can just ask CS, eg. sending poll threads or support tickets.

re: the message posted on gigs about the audio - I think sellers might need to be careful of how they word it, eg. they can let the buyer’s know that it’s not representative of the actual delivered quality but also being careful to make sure it’s worded in a way that sellers are sure Fiverr wouldn’t have a problem with.

1 Like

I can’t see how Fiverr could have a problem with us stating that the audio in the portfolio and videos are compressed. They started this, so they can’t blame us for pointing it out. We have to save face somehow, and when Fiverr is ruining our samples, they can’t come blaming us for saying so after the fact.

2 Likes

I just meant they might have a problem depending on how it was worded.

The Fiverr TOS has a rule against:

Promoting Fiverr and/or Fiverr Gigs through activities that are prohibited by any laws, regulations, and/or third parties’ terms of service, as well as through any marketing activity that negatively affects our relationships with our users or partners

I’m not sure how relevant that is here but if someone says “the sound is compressed” or “the sound is not representative of the actual delivered sound quality” that should be okay. But if someone said about a site “The sound quality on site x is awful/terrible” or “The sound on site x is extremely poor” on a promotional/gig page on that site, that site might have a problem with it because of how it was worded.

1 Like

Yeah - I wouldn’t write “Fiverr is destroying my samples!!!” in my gig description. Mine is saying:

ATTENTION: Due to a change by Fiverr all portfolio samples are compressed and do not represent the high-quality files you’ll receive from me. Please message me for a downloadable sample.

3 Likes

“Please download the delivery before reviewing recording”

This does not assume anything, I guess :face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

Nah - but the word “review” might land you in trouble with the Trust and Safety team! Oh, the endless obstacles :grimacing:

1 Like

Hopefully they fix it this level up period.
You never know.
It’s like “if a tree falls in a forest and no one see’s it…” Did it happen?
I’m sure there are tons of peeps aware of this. But most don’t spend any time on the forum, and the fear of Fiverr Voodoo on their gig positions.

1 Like

Yeah. Let’s hope they fix it. Until then, we should keep the pressure up by getting as many sellers in our categories talking about this as possible.

1 Like

I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION !!!

Granted, I haven’t yet tested it — but it came from watching this video about maximum loudness on Spotify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBqeSbisROU (“How Loud Should You Master Your Music?”)

In it, he explains that the site itself sets a maximum loudness limit of -1 or -2 db,and anything louder than that is “crunched down”, making it sound like crap. If you are like me, for advertising purposes on the internet, I tend to punch my audio up to -0.1db, to get the loudest possible effect - in case someone is using a laptop or tablet with crappy built-in speakers.

Well, it turns out, that may be harming your audio upon upload to a site with a built-in limiter of -1 or -2 db. Again, I haven’t yet tested this theory, but it is possible that this is the cause of the horrible compressed sound. Something to consider !!!

Let me know if you tested this theory in the comments.

1 Like