Giving a Refund to make a buyer loyal

guill77

Hello,

I have not seen this suggested yet.

The thing is add an option to give a refund to a buyer on his order. Like “thank you for previously organizing your order so I can work more easily on it, to thank you I am giving you a $X discount”.

This would be a strategy in some cases to make a customer come back and be loyal to you.

And also to show them you appreciate the fact they ask for LESS and not for more, as people usually do.

So, the idea is really that, like offering more extra gigs once the order is made, offering a discount once the order is made.

I have not seen your exact suggestion made, though I have seen another and I could see a potential for combining your idea with the other one. I would love to have an option for sellers to voluntarily give a partial refund with a comment box that allows you to give any reason for doing so. I would be unlikely to use it as a “thank you” myself, but I would see reasons to use it if someone paid for extra-fast and something goes wrong to delay you, or the client is willing to split the difference on a matter of opinion.

Someone who does want to use it as a thank you could, like on a $50 order they could refund $5 as a thank you for the buyer to use on purchasing any other gig. (There would have to be a realization the buyer might not spend it on your gigs.) Someone who has a buyer that says “I liked this but will need to hire someone else to tweak it” could offer a 10% refund (or any other amount) be to be used toward that.

Yes,

I actually thought about it as a way to refund someone for something you cannot do too, I am just too lazy to write everything out… Thank you!

The “I will give you a $5 refund on your next order” is of course a good idea, however it DOES (at least for me) sound like a marketing scheme. If you know your service is amazing then giving a refund could even make them give you a tip on the next order, and convince people like me that this is not a “marketing scheme” (actually, it might just be to thank a customer for being cool, as they thank sellers - with tips - for doing good jobs).

Thank you for participating!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Refunds don’t make buyers loyal, 99.9% of the buyers that have gotten a refund don’t come back, that’s my experience.

You shouldn’t offer more extra gigs, what you can do is deliver 2 logos instead of one, 4 t-shirt designs instead of 2, but only do it when you like the work you’re doing and are feeling generous. Sometimes a seller delivers more so the buyer has more to choose from.

Refunds don’t make buyers loyal, 99.9% of the buyers that have gotten a refund don’t come back, that’s my experience.

You shouldn’t offer more extra gigs, what you can do is deliver 2 logos instead of one, 4 t-shirt designs instead of 2, but only do it when you like the work you’re doing and are feeling generous. Sometimes a seller delivers more so the buyer has more to choose from.

99.9% of the buyers that have gotten a refund don’t come back

This is something that I completely agree with you. All thought there were some buyers that ordered again after cancellation, but that was because of unresponsiveness.

What would make buyers loyal is providing them with top notch service and extra communication. 🙂

99.9% of the buyers that have gotten a refund don’t come back

This is something that I completely agree with you. All thought there were some buyers that ordered again after cancellation, but that was because of unresponsiveness.

What would make buyers loyal is providing them with top notch service and extra communication. 🙂

I concur, and saying please, thank you, I’m sorry, I apologize, thanks, goes a long way even if one struggles with customer service like I do.

I do try to lead the buyer to where I want him to go.

He writes “hi.”

I write back: “How can I help you?”

If he writes “Hi, I need X.”

I write “OK, I’d be happy to help you. Please place your order whenever you’re ready.”

One has to be careful on Fiverr, because it’s very easy to sound rude. If you write: “So? Why are you telling me? Do you ask McDonalds if they sell burgers? Of course I do X! That’s why I have a gig called I do X for $5.” Then I would lose customers or get bad reviews. Some people will order even if you’re rude, but why take a chance?

I concur, and saying please, thank you, I’m sorry, I apologize, thanks, goes a long way even if one struggles with customer service like I do.

I do try to lead the buyer to where I want him to go.

He writes “hi.”

I write “OK, I’d be happy to help you. Please place your order whenever you’re ready.”

One has to be careful on Fiverr, because it’s very easy to sound rude. If you write: “So? Why are you telling me? Do you ask McDonalds if they sell burgers? Of course I do X! That’s why I have a gig called I do X for $5.” Then I would lose customers or get bad reviews. Some people will order even if you’re rude, but why take a chance?

Usually, if I get a buyer that asks a lot of questions in my inbox prior ordering like the very same things that are stated in the description, in the FAQ and that I have answered to them twice and they keep asking the same questions, I use the line from bellow:

Thanks for considering me for the job. My schedule was filled with another order as we speak. I won’t be able to help you out on your project this time as I have reached the maximum number in my queue. Thanks for understanding.

He writes “hi.”

Usually, I do the very same thing.

Usually, if I get a buyer that asks a lot of questions in my inbox prior ordering like the very same things that are stated in the description, in the FAQ and that I have answered to them twice and they keep asking the same questions, I use the line from bellow:

Thanks for considering me for the job. My schedule was filled with another order as we speak. I won’t be able to help you out on your project this time as I have reached the maximum number in my queue. Thanks for understanding.

He writes “hi.”

Usually, I do the very same thing.

“Thanks for considering me for the job. My schedule was filled with another order as we speak. I won’t be able to help you out on your project this time as I have reached the maximum number in my queue. Thanks for understanding.”

That’s a great response. I once messaged a seller, I wanted her to write about a sensitive topic that some writers find offensive, and she gave me a similar response. I will never know if she was really busy or just didn’t want to do the job. I suspect the latter, the woman had like 20 orders in her queue, so she’s used to doing lots of jobs.

My response to annoying buyers who keep messaging and don’t get it is. “Please hire someone else.” I even have a list of referrals saved up. I like referring buyers even if the sellers rarely do the same for you.

Why would you offer a discount off the price that has already been agreed?
Instead, offer a discount to be used off future orders or just do a good job. For many buyers, price is not really the issue but having someone who communicates well and does what they are supposed to do, on time - that is really valuable so focus on doing that.

“Thanks for considering me for the job. My schedule was filled with another order as we speak. I won’t be able to help you out on your project this time as I have reached the maximum number in my queue. Thanks for understanding.”

That’s a great response. I once messaged a seller, I wanted her to write about a sensitive topic that some writers find offensive, and she gave me a similar response. I will never know if she was really busy or just didn’t want to do the job. I suspect the latter, the woman had like 20 orders in her queue, so she’s used to doing lots of jobs.

My response to annoying buyers who keep messaging and don’t get it is. “Please hire someone else.” I even have a list of referrals saved up. I like referring buyers even if the sellers rarely do the same for you.

If they keep asking questions after that. I tell them:

“There are a lot of wonderful sellers out here that might be willing to take your job and give you outstanding results”

Maybe I should start referring them to other sellers. That’s actually a great thing.

I should definitely create a word document with pre-ready answers for those type of buyers. That might be a lot helpful for me.

Why would you offer a discount off the price that has already been agreed?

Instead, offer a discount to be used off future orders or just do a good job. For many buyers, price is not really the issue but having someone who communicates well and does what they are supposed to do, on time - that is really valuable so focus on doing that

JUST LISTEN TO THIS GUY! If somebody isn’t selfish to share the advice it’s him.

Referring to others is a good idea unless it is a buyer you are just trying to get rid of because they are annoying!

Referring to others is a good idea unless it is a buyer you are just trying to get rid of because they are annoying!

The guy may be annoying to me, but that doesn’t mean he’s annoying to others. It’s like the whole messaging discussion, some sellers enjoy it, others hate it, others are better at it. We all have pet peeves, I for example hate orders with too much information.

Archived