Google Voice numbers can't be verified

I use a Google Voice number for everything. I have a cellphone that does not have a mobile plan, I only use it connected to wifi and I use a Google Voice phone number for sending/receiving calls and texts. However, Fiverr won’t let me verify my account with this phone number, either through text or calling. I thought I might be able to have fun and make a little money doing writing projects for people, but apparently Fiverr wants me to spend $50/month on a cellular plan in order to use their service.

Hi there!

Fiverr introduced phone verification a few months ago. Generally, it has been a good thing, as they can now pin down your location by mobile, so creating accounts by VPN is more difficult than it used to be.

The downside is that unfortunately Google voice doesn’t work, because it’s not set to one physical location.

Could you buy a cheap pay as you go mobile to get round it?

Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a cellphone that’s connected to wifi at home and can get calls on it.

You can get Tracphone cheap by the month so google that.

I’m not going to buy a new phone to sign up for this website.

Okay then - happy to help! :slightly_smiling_face:

A tracphone with minutes would be around $30. So if you earn more than that in a month it would make sense to get one so you can verify your account.

So far I have earned $0 and have read a lot of talk about it taking months for people to get their first customer. Additionally, I DON’T NEED another phone except for this one silly requirement with this one website. Already rated them as a 1-star on Google Play Store, so I guess that is about all I can do at this point.

That’s what happens when you have no gigs. You earn zero. You’re in a Catch-22 situation:
no phone to start on your fiverr career, no motivation to get a phone as you might spend months without any sales… All you can do is give up probably.

On the bright side, you won’t lose any money this way, either on a phone, or from not being able to make a withdrawal if you do have some money in your account.

It’s good that you warned away others from this site! Too many might go down this same path to nowhere through no fault of their own. :warning:

I hate using a cell phone and usually don’t. I get by perfectly fine with a way out of date iPhone connected to wifi to make free calls via things like Whatsapp. I’m really sorry to say, though, that for a variety of real life reasons, you will need a physical cell phone number at some point in your life.

The reason that Fiverr and other websites (including Google) want real phone numbers is because virtual equivalents are mainly used (by people who do not have physical numbers also) to commit fraud. If you don’t like that, that’s your decision. Moreover, I wouldn’t get too angry, as all that you have achieved here by relating details your nuclear PR assault on Fiverr via Google Play, is the projection of yourself as entitled and a little childish.

I disagree that they are mainly used for fraud. I know literally HUNDREDS of people that use Google voice for legitimate reasons. Almost all of them are small business owners that don’t want to have another bill and yet don’t want to give out their personal cell number as a business number.

Notice ‘by people who do not have physical phone numbers also.’ If you are trying to validate your identity with anyone anywhere in the world, they will not accept you only having a virtual phone number. Sorry, it’s just the way it is.

Seemed to work just fine for all of my mystery shopper gigs.