Government Servants in India

writer99025

Really lost my cool this morning at a bank officer at a government-controlled bank, India’s biggest. The lady was acting like she was some Brown Sahib and I was a serf. She treats everyone that way, but most Indians are naturally nice and polite people they stay quiet. I really blasted her, was really arrogant and showed her place. By the time I was done, she was calling me “Sir, Sir” etc. Probably not used to customers hitting back. I really, really hate it when people condescend to me. When you are on the right, and the other person is wrong, when the rules are in your favor, hit back, don’t take any crap from anyone.

Really lost my cool this morning at a bank officer at a government-controlled bank, India’s biggest. The lady was acting like she was some Brown Sahib and I was a serf. She treats everyone that way, but most Indians are naturally nice and polite people they stay quiet. I really blasted her, was really arrogant and showed her place. By the time I was done, she was calling me “Sir, Sir” etc. Probably not used to customers hitting back. I really, really hate it when people condescend to me. When you are on the right, and the other person is wrong, when the rules are in your favor, hit back, don’t take any crap from anyone.

I really blasted her, was really arrogant and showed her place

So you behaved badly to her because she behaved badly to you, and you’re the one who’s right?

Why can’t everyone just treat each other the way they’d like to be treated? They reckon Britain’s class system still exists, but it seems we’re not the only ones.

I really blasted her, was really arrogant and showed her place

So you behaved badly to her because she behaved badly to you, and you’re the one who’s right?

Why can’t everyone just treat each other the way they’d like to be treated? They reckon Britain’s class system still exists, but it seems we’re not the only ones.

I have this rule. I am good with most people. But if somebody treats me badly, I treat them worse. That’s why I was never able to find proper employment and had to quit every job, but don’t care.

That’s what life is about, fighting and surviving, living for another day, with your head held high. Never surrender, never give an inch. Once you start giving in, there is no end to it. If you are on the right, you have nothing to fear. Be fearless, be ruthless in your defense, even if that costs you.

That’s what life is about, fighting and surviving, living for another day, with your head held high. Never surrender, never give an inch. Once you start giving in, there is no end to it. If you are on the right, you have nothing to fear. Be fearless, be ruthless in your defense, even if that costs you.

Like I said, good luck with that - each to his own etc. 🙂

Even ministers are servants (of their country/state/people - "the term minister comes from Middle English, deriving from the Old French word ministre, originally minister in Latin, meaning “servant, attendant”). Not that they all behave as if they are or exhibit the proper decorum. Or probably even know it. 😉

Why most of the government servants are rude in nature?

Same is the case here. But bankers are so polite,cooperative and well mannered here in Pakistan.

Bankers are generally nice, never had a problem before this. First rude banker I have faced. Which is why I became so angry. My mom was a banker too, so I have known banks all my life.

I have this rule. I am good with most people. But if somebody treats me badly, I treat them worse. That’s why I was never able to find proper employment and had to quit every job, but don’t care.

My sister is one of the kindest people I know, and I used to watch her deal with people like store employees, government employees, hotel/airline - the ones that can be difficult. If they treated her badly, she would ask about their day in a genuine way and treat them with even more kindness. It was amazing how often they became apologetic and softened up and then treated her like the person that made their day. I try to be like my sister in that way and usually it works very well.

I wouldn’t want to defend myself like I was in a battle all the time, even though life can sure feel like a battle. I guess I understand that it can work for you. The whole “brown sahib” and “serf” thing sounds different from just a natural word like government servant. All I know about the word serf in most cultures it refers to someone low in a hierarchy who is below those they serve. To my understanding a brown sahib has something to due with people trying to act like a Westerner and show themselves as better than you.

If she was treating you like a serf and she was the “brown sahib” it sounds like a hierarchy thing again. So, you turned the tables on her and acted like the top dawg, I guess. As @offlinehelpers said, if it works for you, so it goes. I know you say you don’t care what people think, although I’m not really even sure what this thread was for if you don’t.

According to Wiki:

Brown Sahib is a term used to refer to natives of South Asia who imitate Western—typically English—lifestyle. It is also used to refer to those have been heavily influenced by Western—usually British—culture and thinking. It is mostly used as a derogatory term. By implication, a Brown Sahib goes beyond simply mimicking the Western lifestyle. A Brown sahib will usually have an unfair bias towards West vis-à-vis East. Now, down the years sometimes—albeit rarely—it is used just as an affectionate term for an anglicised south Asian, without any colonial critique.

Damn, everyday I learn something new.

My sister is one of the kindest people I know, and I used to watch her deal with people like store employees, government employees, hotel/airline - the ones that can be difficult. If they treated her badly, she would ask about their day in a genuine way and treat them with even more kindness. It was amazing how often they became apologetic and softened up and then treated her like the person that made their day. I try to be like my sister in that way and usually it works very well.

I wouldn’t want to defend myself like I was in a battle all the time, even though life can sure feel like a battle. I guess I understand that it can work for you. The whole “brown sahib” and “serf” thing sounds different from just a natural word like government servant. All I know about the word serf in most cultures it refers to someone low in a hierarchy who is below those they serve. To my understanding a brown sahib has something to due with people trying to act like a Westerner and show themselves as better than you.

If she was treating you like a serf and she was the “brown sahib” it sounds like a hierarchy thing again. So, you turned the tables on her and acted like the top dawg, I guess. As @offlinehelpers said, if it works for you, so it goes. I know you say you don’t care what people think, although I’m not really even sure what this thread was for if you don’t.

@fonthaunt @offlinehelpers How do you manage to be so sweet? I mean, I have become much calmer than when I was much younger. But you both definitely are much patient and sweeter than me. Have you always been this calm and patient, or did you learn to be this calm and patient? I plan to be a so sweet person when I get to your age, errr well, I assume you both are at least 15 years older than me. My husband is a very calm and patient person, I have learned a lot from him. But being calm and patient is his original character. He has been like that all his life. So, no matter how hard I want to be as calm and patient, I feel like I can never be that.

why the hell are you on ruining an Indian impressions? You got a one bad experience so that doesn’t mean all Government workers are arrogant! 1st thing is do not see them as servants! they are doing their jobs to make normal citizen’s life easier! I am an Indian and I don’t see government people as servants! so you should change term 'We ’ to ‘I’. and as you said I see you also have an bad test of attitude. you have treated person badly that makes you even. I would ignore or walk away from arrogant person!

DO NOT BLAME THE COUNTRY ON THE BASE OF YOUR BAD EXPERIENCE!

Archived