Grammar in Other Things

I suppose this is a rant, mostly from an English major that’s making book trailers. :slight_smile: Some of you may not notice or care, but I do! :stuck_out_tongue:

If you had a video made, do you care about readability? When it comes to the text elements of a video, I keep it clean, clear, and precise. If a block of text overwhelms the screen and needs to be continued to the next, it is continued like any normal sentence. For example, if I use the sentence I just wrote and put it on two different screens, the first screen would say:

"If a block of text overwhelms the screen and needs to be continued to the next,"

Then the next screen would say:

"it is continued like any normal sentence."

I always keep the comma on the first sentence so that viewers know there is more to the sentence. But I cannot begin to say how many people want the first word of every slide capitalized, even if it breaks up a sentence. That’s like writing:

"If a block of text overwhelms the screen and needs to be continued to the next, It is continued like any normal sentence."

For someone like me, an English major with (honest-to-goodness) genetic OCD tendencies, it drives me crazy! LOL If I saw a video like that, especially for a book, it would turn me off to it, because I would wonder if I would be spending my time trying to shift my brain around textual discrepancies instead of enjoying a book. And then I would wonder if the person who made the video knew what he/she was doing.

I’m sure it’s just me, right? :stuck_out_tongue: Just one of those things, I guess.

LOL So glad it’s not just me! :)>-

Reply to @madmoo: I hope you’re not referring to any one of my posts :smiley:

Reply to @madmoo: Oh good :slight_smile: I’m thinking my English skills have become rusty these past few years

BA in English my children hated having a mother who corrected everything when they grew up now they are just like me and irritate their children .olo

hahaha, I’m not an English student or anything, but terrible grammar annoys me greatly as well.

It’s not hard to remember “You’re” = YOU ARE = YOU '(a)re = replace the ’ with an “a”!! lol.

I’m still learning English, it’s not my first language.

I also hate to see grammar mistakes (I hope I don’t make any in this sentence, lol).

Especially the ‘your’ & ‘youre’

The misuse of “your” and “you’re” is quite common here. One of my grandma’s birthday cakes is an example. Oh, she just turned 95 last Friday :slight_smile:

magisworks said: The misuse of "your" and "you're" is quite common here. One of my grandma's birthday cakes is an example. Oh, she just turned 95 last Frida

Your Grandma must be feeling really young since their children called her 'You're child(ren)' .
Happy belated birthday to your granny :)

Wow, 95! Happy birthday to her!

Reply to @magisworks: Happy birthday to your gran!

I really dislike bad spelling. In this age of technology, people should use spell check much more frequently.

Kim

Thanks @kim_talented and @goodgift :slight_smile:

Reply to @magisworks: Hey! Where’s my thanks…

Reply to @princemaxx: Oops sorry missed you there. Thanks for the greet :slight_smile:

HAHAHAH that cake made me laugh!

I used to work at walmart, and they’d send us cakes in the breakroom with misspellings and all that stuff for us to nom on.

LOL So glad it’s not just me! :)>-

Reply to @madmoo: I hope you’re not referring to any one of my posts :smiley:

Reply to @madmoo: Oh good :slight_smile: I’m thinking my English skills have become rusty these past few years

BA in English my children hated having a mother who corrected everything when they grew up now they are just like me and irritate their children .olo

hahaha, I’m not an English student or anything, but terrible grammar annoys me greatly as well.

It’s not hard to remember “You’re” = YOU ARE = YOU '(a)re = replace the ’ with an “a”!! lol.