Guide to Making Buyers Happy. Managing Buyer Expectations

hotwebideas

I think this will be helpful to all sellers.

Analogy / Case In Point:

If a restaurant on Fiverr is serving just a plain hamburger for $5 and a buyer expects fries, cheese, bacon and onion for that same $5, your expectations and the buyer’s expectations are not the same. That can cause grief for both the buyer and seller.

The question is:

1. Should you give the buyer what they want and throw in the fries, cheese, bacon and onion for the same $5?
  2. Should you tell the buyer that they need to order another gig for the fries, cheese, bacon and onion?
  3. Should you offer a gig extra for $10 for all the, well, extras?
  4. Should you offer to add the cheese for the same $5 and charge a gig extra for the cheese, bacon and onion?

Other questions to consider:
  5. How many buyers are asking for items that you do not intend to deliver for a single $5?
  6. What is the buyer demand for a single item? How many buyers are requesting the same item that you never intended to deliver for a single $5 gig order?

Remember, that EVERY Fiverr gig has a trend. Only YOU as the seller see that trend.

We did not have pomegranate flavored juice 20 years ago and we certainly did not have red velvet cakes 20 years ago, but some seller found it to be a trend and those flavors make huge profits. What has changed with YOUR gig. What is your pomegranate-flavored juice?

============================================

The Problem / Challenge:

I have been on Fiverr for a while and I find that buyers expect a particular delivery a DIFFERENT way than I intend to deliver. In other words, what I deliver to buyer is sometimes different than what they want delivered to them. I know this happens to many sellers.

One BIG Word Of Advice: Change Your Gig Description Often

I think there is a general assumption that you can create your gig description and leave it alone forever so buyers will come pouring in. Yes, that may be true, but also remember, that since each buyer’s expectations are different from the next and your own, you need to notice the trend that is created with your gig. Every gig has a unique trend and only YOU as the seller see it.

7. What are buyers requesting? Is there a trend with this? Can you find a way to make more money from it by either:

a. adding it to your single $5 gig and creating more value for buyers therefore creating more sales of your single gig

b. adding it as a gig extra

c. requesting that buyers purchase one more gig for that extra item

Solution:

In your gig descriptions, do not just tell buyers what they will receive. Every seller does that. Also tell them what they will NOT receive. If you do not tell buyers what is NOT part of the delivery, they COULD expect it. I have learned this the hard way on over 15 different gigs.

Never expect that your delivered items are what the buyer is looking for. Remember, buyers could have a totally different mindset about your gig than you do, even when your gig description is clear. Buyers have experiences that dictate how they see your gig. You, as the seller, also have a different set of expectations on what you will deliver. The expectations of the buyer may conflict with your expectations as a seller. It happens often.

Here is a clear example:

I have a gig where I blog about a business to my NY City subscribers and tweet it to my Twitter followers. It has 17 orders in the queue as of this writing. With this gig, buyers request items that I do not intend to deliver such as:
  • some buyers tell me what keywords and blog tags I should use when I intend on using a different set of keywords
  • some buyers want me to tweet a photo
  • some buyers want me to tweet at a certain time and day
  • some buyers want me to get them Twitter followers
  • some buyers wanted me to increase their SEO rankings
  • one buyer asked me if I was only blogging on just one blog??? How many blogs should I blog on for $5? I expect just one. That buyer expected more…

In this gig, I blog and tweet. That is it, but again, some buyers expect more, because that is how they perceive your gig.

How to resolve conflicts and better deal with buyers’ expectations:

You have several options here:

1. In your gig description, make sure you tell buyers what you do not intend on delivering. Only do this if you see a trend with several buyers requesting the same thing. In other words, make your gig description clearer on what you exactly intend to deliver.

2. Add more value to your gig by adding that unexpected item to your gig deliverables, but state it in your gig’s description. If you see that several buyers request the same thing that you never intended on delivering, make sure you add it to your gig’s description. Doing so will INCREASE your sales since buyers see the added value for a single $5 order.

3. Leverage the demand by creating a gig extra from it. Fiverr just gave us 5 gig extras. You should fill them all up with added value and whatever is being demanded by buyers. In other words, if you do not intend on delivering to the buyer what they expect in a single $5 order, consider adding it on as a gig extra.

4. Note the demand from buyers and keep expecting that they will request it. Demand increase sales. If you leverage the demand correctly, it should be a gig extra. If your gig is in the Technology and Programming category, also offer a custom order.

Bruce

Great topic. Managing expectations and positioning yourself as an advocate for your customers is critical.

For my site critique gig, anyone who orders gets and acknowledgement email that reiterates the scope of the gig, and notes what it doesn’t cover. This email is a work in progress and contains common and predictable requests from buyers. This single tool has virtually eliminated any confusion about my gig, and acts as a firewall of sorts for people that want me to do more than what my gig provides.

On my green screen and white screen video gigs, I also include some “best practices” info in my intro video. In addition to using two of the three portfolio still images as “video creation tips” as well. It does help, but not as much as I’d like. From what I can tell, I now have the ability to upload PDF’s into the portfolio which is something I’ll have to explore. This might be another way to communicate what I can’t in the 1200 characters allowed in my gig.

Archived