Fiverr Community Forum

Had a non-fiverr VO artist subtly accuse me of lying about my workload

Been averaging anywhere from 15 - 25 orders in my queue on any given day lately - which I’m very grateful for, albeit a bit overwhelmed from time to time. Had someone in a FB group for VO artists hint that maybe I was exaggerating the amount of work I had.

Maybe they should come over to Fiverr and get a taste of that kind of success :woman_shrugging:

Anyway, it’s my birthday weekend! :tada: :balloon: :sparkles: I’m going to make a fat vegan lemon cake, play Overwatch, and mute my Fiverr notifications for the weekend :slight_smile: Hope you’re all doing really well!

17 Likes

Happy birthday in advance and enjoy your weekend.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday! Enjoy! :cake: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @gwyneth_galvin ! Hope you have a fantastic weekend! :slightly_smiling_face: :cupcake: :partying_face:

And huge congrats on the orders! You don’t strike me as the kind of person who would lie about such things, so I wonder why the person in your FB group thought you had, other than as you say, their own insecurity and jealousy perhaps? Just ignore them and enjoy the results of all your hard work!

I do get the impression there’s been a ‘shuffling of the deck’ lately when it comes to gigs. Some people seem to be having their best time ever, which is awesome. We’re in the other group, and are currently on course to have our worst month since we started - it was literally like someone switched the tap off in the last week of April, and it’s only now starting to trickle back on. We’re fortunate that we both have other sources of income outside of Fiverr, because yeesh! :grimacing:

6 Likes

Yeesh sorry. Somebody’s just jealous!

5 Likes

I’m new to this VO group, but the members seem to be mostly non-fiverr freelancers. I think a lot of them do audio books and radio ads etc., so maybe more sporadic but high-paying projects? Whereas I’m the oppposite, I have dozens of daily low-budget projects… I mean I guess that’s typically the nature of Fiverr, isn’t it?

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve had a really slow month. I have had many of those in my years on Fiverr and I know how troubling they are. Makes you question everything :sleepy: I have another part-time job (as a nanny) so that I have some income in case those slow months creep up on me and I am always on alert for changes in my gig traffic. It’s scary how quickly it can take a turn for the worse.

Hope things get better quick for ya :cupid: you guys do great quality work.

I honestly think they must just not be that busy with work and couldn’t believe that someone who doesn’t have an agent would have such a hugh volume of orders? The FB group has a strict “no Fiverr” rule (I don’t know why) so I didn’t bother explaining how I get so many orders!

4 Likes

Just ignore them for the rest of your life!! Enjoy the weekend and special Birthday!

3 Likes

I imagine none of them use a marketplace and none of them are well targeted online to the demand.

love this :rofl: Thanks for the birthday wishes! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Happy birthday!!
Sorry for the “jealous much” lifeforms you have to deal with.
I just checked your GIGs and the intro video should be set as standard for all.
Wish you could share the creator.

Thanks, that’s kind of you - Yeah, I’ve no doubt it will pick up again. We’ve had quiet patches before, and when we’re back in Fiverr’s favour again it’ll be back to the long days and gruelling hours, no doubt at no notice and exactly the time when we’d prefer it to be quiet! :joy: Always the way. Until then, we’re just trying to enjoy the nice weather and our state-sponsored (now unlimited!) daily exercise!

I know someone who does occasional VOs for an ad agency. They’ve sold maybe 5, 10 VOs their whole career, yet I know they consider themselves more professional than us, and see Fiverr as ‘diluting’ what they do. They charge ten times what we charge, can’t record or engineer themselves, rely on going to a pro studio, and still offer a product that’s no better than what we offer.

Commercial/Broadcast buyouts outside of Fiverr are crazy lucrative (which is why I always find it funny when people complain about $10 over here… try $1,000+ for a typical ad campaign in the ‘non Fiverr’ world) - I suspect there’s a degree of worry that if enough people here on Fiverr are seen as ‘good enough’ by the industry as a whole, people may struggle to justify those kind of fees?

2 Likes

Queue me crying because I have to wake up at 6 AM to record 12 IVR phone trees

I really despise this sort of elitism in the VO world. I’ve listened to some agency VO reels that I don’t think are on par with mine in terms of style. The mic may be nicer, sure - but 90% of my clients are small businesses who are looking for an affordable, approachable voice-over and don’t NEED a studio-grade recording. They just need the VO to sound genuine and high quality.

I’d love to be able to record in a studio for a massive amount of money one day, but I also love working with every-day people with smaller budgets.

5 Likes

Happy birthday, Gwyneth - have fun over the weekend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My advice is not to argue and drag over more competition. I see people frequently arguing and debating with those that are too hard headed or think they understand fiverr when they do not.

I’m always willing to help those with genuine interest and guide people into success but I’m not dragging competition to the platform just to show them that I’m “right”. This platform is hard work and competitive enough (especially in VO) without begging people to compete with me.

Also, Soldier76, Junkrat, and Moira for life :wink:

Happy birthday and may you be blessed with many POTG.

1 Like

Haters gonna hate. Let em.

3 Likes

i’m with you 100%. They hate while I skate…to the bank

2 Likes

Moira main here. Surrender to my will, innit?

1 Like

Wishing You a fabulous weekend and Happy Birth Day.

1 Like

I wish I can also brag about this one day, I’m new on fiverr. Btw Happy birthday, I wish you the best!

1 Like

Thank you! Wishing you all the best. My first year on Fiverr was very up and down. It’s only now in my third year that I’ve really found my footing. :heart:

1 Like