Happy Bengali New Year 1426 :-)

veniceart

I hope for an explanation of the whole thing as someone who is not familiar with this.

There is a different year counting as like 2019 and in bangla it is 1426. Bangla is a language and a culture. The first month of 1426 named “Boishakh” as like January. Today is the first day of Boishakh. In Asia, Bangladeshi and Indian peoples are mostly celebrate this festival. We also follow and celebrate the universal new year as well.

Hi,

I am a little confused with the number in the title. :thinking: Are you guys still in the year 1426 (according to your calendar or whatever)?

I am a little confused with the number in the title. :thinking: Are you guys still in the year 1426 (according to your calendar or whatever)?

I hope for an explanation of the whole thing as someone who is not familiar with this.

We call “pohela Boishakh” or in bengali language “পহেলা বৈশাখ” the first day of bengali year. we celebrate pohela boishakh on 14 April in Bangladesh as well as on 15 April in west India. The starting date of the bengali era ad 592 or 593. Centuries later a major revision was made, Mughal emperor name was Akbar brought a revised bengali year calendar in 1584. there was Tax collecting issue so it was important to introduce a revised version. Bengali people used to follow lunar Islamic calendar to pay tax to emperor but it didn’t coincide with the harvests and optimum business season. so the emperor introduced a revised calendar to make tax collection easier. the new calendar consist of 12 months and 6 seasons. two months are paired. thanks for expressing your interest on Bengali year.

We call “pohela Boishakh” or in bengali language “পহেলা বৈশাখ” the first day of bengali year. we celebrate pohela boishakh on 14 April in Bangladesh as well as on 15 April in west India. The starting date of the bengali era ad 592 or 593. Centuries later a major revision was made, Mughal emperor name was Akbar brought a revised bengali year calendar in 1584. there was Tax collecting issue so it was important to introduce a revised version. Bengali people used to follow lunar Islamic calendar to pay tax to emperor but it didn’t coincide with the harvests and optimum business season. so the emperor introduced a revised calendar to make tax collection easier. the new calendar consist of 12 months and 6 seasons. two months are paired. thanks for expressing your interest on Bengali year.

Thank you for the explanation. In that case, Happy Pohela Boisakhi to all the Bengali people out there! 😃

I am wondering if it is just pure coincidence that people from Sri Lanka too celebrate their New Year on the same day as the Bengali people. Or is there a much deeper connection somehow? :thinking: 😃

Thank you for the explanation. In that case, Happy Pohela Boisakhi to all the Bengali people out there! 😃

I am wondering if it is just pure coincidence that people from Sri Lanka too celebrate their New Year on the same day as the Bengali people. Or is there a much deeper connection somehow? :thinking:😃

thank you 😃 aah yeah ! had a connection there. Sri Lankan’s first king got ancestors from today part of Bangladesh and India. i don’t know detail history.

Archived