Happy thanksgiving everyone! ?

frank_d

I am currently in between servings right now, had a super early dinner this year due to some last minute projects.

I just wanted to drop by and wish everyone a happy turkey day, and maybe it’s the carbs talking but I am feeling extra thankful this year.

I am thankful for finding this platform back when I was in between jobs and down on my luck.

I am thankful for the many opportunities I get each year to work on large scope projects with clients I would normally have to hunt down for months if I was out there all on my own.

I am also thankful for this forum, and all the people here I get to call my community.

So thank you everyone.

What are you thankful for?

I’m thankful I was born in a country with such abundance, just like the pilgrims were thankful to be here.

• The Plymouth Pilgrims (who actually called themselves separatists and weren’t referred to as Pilgrims until the 1870s) were the first to celebrate the Thanksgiving.

• The Pilgrims sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to reach North America.

• They sailed on the ship, which was known by the name of ‘Mayflower’.

• They celebrated the first Thanksgiving Day at Plymouth, Massachusetts.

• The Wampanoag Indians were the people who taught the Pilgrims how to cultivate the land.

• The Pilgrim leader, Governor William Bradford, had organized the first Thanksgiving feast in 1621. He invited the neighboring
    Wampanoag Indians to the feast.

• The first Thanksgiving celebration lasted three days.

• Lobster, rabbit, chicken, fish, deer, ducks, geese, squashes, beans, chestnuts, hickory nuts, onions, leeks, dried fruits, maple syrup and honey, radishes, cabbage, carrots, eggs, and goat cheese are thought to have made up the first Thanksgiving feast. (No turkeys.)

No forks at the first Thanksgiving! The first Thanksgiving was eaten with spoons and knives — but no forks! That’s right, forks weren’t even introduced to the Pilgrims until 10 years later and weren’t a popular utensil until the 18th century.

Thanksgiving didn’t become a national holiday until over 200 years later! Sarah Josepha Hale, the woman who actually wrote the classic song “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” convinced President Lincoln in 1863 to make Thanksgiving a national holiday, after writing letters for 17 years campaigning for this to happen.

Thank you for the good wishes for this Thanksgiving holiday.

We are getting together with our sons and their families for a fried turkey dinner. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It is cold in my part of Montana today, but it is not blizzarding 🥶 as it is in central Montana. So, I am thankful for that.

I also am thankful I do not have to stand outside in the cold with the turkey fryers while they cook old Tom Turkey. 🇹🇷

PS, @misscrystal My 7 times removed great-grandmother was the first child born in North America to English parents to survive and that they have a record for. I need to ask the family historian her name. It seems like it was Sarah. :thinking:

Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday everyone! 😊

Thank you for the good wishes for this Thanksgiving holiday.

We are getting together with our sons and their families for a fried turkey dinner. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It is cold in my part of Montana today, but it is not blizzarding 🥶 as it is in central Montana. So, I am thankful for that.

I also am thankful I do not have to stand outside in the cold with the turkey fryers while they cook old Tom Turkey. 🇹🇷

PS, @misscrystal My 7 times removed great-grandmother was the first child born in North America to English parents to survive and that they have a record for. I need to ask the family historian her name. It seems like it was Sarah. :thinking:

Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday everyone! 😊

@vickiespencer Yes I’ve heard of Virginia Dare. How amazing it must be to be a direct descendant of her.

@misscrystal see my edit above. Virginia disappeared with the rest of the Roanoke Colony.

@vickiespencer I just now realized that I’m a descendant of one of those first Pilgrims, Edward Doty. I have my family tree on Ancestry .com and went back and found Samuel Doty, his son, among my ancestors. I can now join the Mayflower Society.

I’m amazed that I have an ancestor who was at that first Thanksgiving and only now just realized it.

doty.GIF.835310bad7bc9e291f7cd796c51279d9.GIF

What’s interesting is finding out I’m related to a few of my friends from mutual ancestors of the 1600’s.

How strange that they could never figure out what happened to the Roanoke Colony.

Miss Vickie if you find out the name of your ancestor please let me know, we could be related…

Thank you, and back to you.

It’s not really a thing here, and I don’t know yet what I’ll be having for dinner, which is fine, because I don’t care.
This is the worst year in my life and probably will ever be, and I’m not in the mood to celebrate anything, but still, it’s important to take your time to think of everything you can be grateful for, even if you have been dealt a very bad hand and might drown in grief and self-pity because life is unfair.

For me, it’s family, friends, being able to go outside and spend time in nature, people who care about other people and about nature, people who do things that need to get done, people who create art in all of its forms.

Lots of small things too, the sound of the leaves under my boots in fall as I walk, living close to a park, a forest, a library, for having looked up on the hurried way home in the rain to catch a view of the moon at night when it came out of hiding behind the clouds, and much more.

And, yes, I’m thankful for this fantastic platform, more than ever.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone 🌿

It’s not really a thing here, and I don’t know yet what I’ll be having for dinner, which is fine, because I don’t care.

This is the worst year in my life and probably will ever be, and I’m not in the mood to celebrate anything, but still, it’s important to take your time to think of everything you can be grateful for, even if you have been dealt a very bad hand and might drown in grief and self-pity because life is unfair.

For me, it’s family, friends, being able to go outside and spend time in nature, people who care about other people and about nature, people who do things that need to get done, people who create art in all of its forms.

Lots of small things too, the sound of the leaves under my boots in fall as I walk, living close to a park, a forest, a library, for having looked up on the hurried way home in the rain to catch a view of the moon at night when it came out of hiding behind the clouds, and much more.

Sorry to hear about your year @miiila

Hang in there, it usually gets better.

I’d send over some turkey and yams but I think I ate them all…

Aw miiila, you aren’t alone, I’m here and thinking about you…

You’re a sweet sensitive soul and I’m sorry for what you’re going through. ❤️ You add so much to this forum. Thank you for being you.

Archived